Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 11, 2018, 5:53 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: shahr04360
Orbitz's Price Guarantee covers flight, hotels, packages, rental cars and activities.

What it means
If you find a cheaper identical flight, package, rental car or activity within 24 hours of booking, or a cheaper, identical hotel up to 2 days before your standalone hotel check-in date, we'll refund the difference and give you 50 USD Orbucks.

Before you submit your claim, answer the following questions:
- Is the cost of your booking at least 50 USD, excluding taxes and fees?
- Did you book your flight, package, rental car or activity on Orbitz in the last 24 hours?
- Standalone hotel bookings only: Is today's date at least 2 days before the check-in date?
- Are the trip dates the same?
- Did you find the lower price on a website in English?
- Is the lower price quoted in US dollars?
- Is the room type the same?
- Is the cancellation policy the same?

If you answered "Yes" to all of these questions and wish to receive your refund, then you will need to:
1. Have your Orbitz itinerary number ready.
2. Submit your claim by clicking here.

Good to know
- To qualify for Orbucks, you must have an Orbitz account.
- If you booked as a guest, you will only qualify for a refund in price difference.
- Orbucks will be added to your account 3-4 weeks after your qualifying travel itinerary has been completed.
- The amount of Orbucks issued is limited to the total amount spent on the booking (excluding taxes and fees). If the amount spent on the booking is less than the amount of Orbucks you are eligible to receive, then the Orbucks will be capped at an amount equal to the amount spent on the booking (excluding taxes and fees).

Source: https://www.orbitz.com/service/#/articles/553/55/16146
Print Wikipost

Orbitz BRG

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2014, 8:04 am

Eh, doesn't matter. Right after I booked it and tried to BRG, I found the Travelocity $40 off code yesterday so I just used that. All's well that end's well. But the Orbitz excuse was pathetic.

Originally Posted by iahphx
That is obviously a preposterous excuse. I would simply try the BRG again. You'd figure somebody there would eventually approve it.
Old Jun 30, 2014, 9:55 am

Programs: Choice Hotels
That is obviously a preposterous excuse. I would simply try the BRG again. You'd figure somebody there would eventually approve it.
I have experienced and read about some real doozy excuses for not approving a BRG before, but this has to be the most asinine and abusive one of all. NO RATE is ever guaranteed until you book it. If you don't book now and the rate goes up an hour from now, then tough luck. Should have booked an hour ago.

Also, after a quick scan of the T&C, I don't even see that clause in there. I could have missed it.. but I don't think I did. I would most certainly challenge this decision. Best of luck.

On another note, I have had luck with BRGs on travelocity. I even once used Orbitz as the lower rate, which is really crazy considering that travelocity and orbitz are owned by the same company and have the exact same interface.
Old Jul 7, 2014, 1:25 am

Travelocity has Expedia engine inside, Orbitz is another.

By the way, several days ago, I submitted Expedia BPG using Travelocity as lower rate. This can happen to a few hotels.

Originally Posted by thunderdeacon
I have experienced and read about some real doozy excuses for not approving a BRG before, but this has to be the most asinine and abusive one of all. NO RATE is ever guaranteed until you book it. If you don't book now and the rate goes up an hour from now, then tough luck. Should have booked an hour ago.

Also, after a quick scan of the T&C, I don't even see that clause in there. I could have missed it.. but I don't think I did. I would most certainly challenge this decision. Best of luck.

On another note, I have had luck with BRGs on travelocity. I even once used Orbitz as the lower rate, which is really crazy considering that travelocity and orbitz are owned by the same company and have the exact same interface.
Old Jul 8, 2014, 11:04 pm

Programs: AS, BA, AA
Originally Posted by tmh
I'm about to go to Vegas in May for several days, and since I'll have a car, I could easily bounce from one hotel to another and BRG 4-5 nights in a row through Orbitz, which would also have the benefit of pushing me over the threshold to Star, so I could get $150 back a night, and stay in nicer hotels for the "paid stay".

Does anyone know if there are any limits on how many stays a month, or how many times they'll let you BRG? Has anyone had a bad experience BRG'ing Orbitz upwards of 5-6 times in a month?
They wouldn't let me BRG two different hotels in the same city, for example, June 1 in hotel A and June 3 in Hotel B, both one night stays. Even though they couldn't show me anywhere in the T&C where this was a policy, 'marketing said' that you couldn't use the BRG more than once on the same trip (can't remember the exact words; they refused to give a specific criteria for length of trip or how far apart the cities needed to be). So I wouldn't count on being able to get more than one night in one city/region without a lengthy break in between. I even explained that I was traveling to a different city as a side trip on June 2, didn't matter.
Nope. I had Orbitz deny a BRG for airfare because the competing site does not show a price breakdown between taxes and fees. I pointed out that Orbitz doesn't have a price breakdown for taxes and fees, and even when Orbitz throws in a $21.99 booking fee, they don't show that broken out as separate from the airfare, just one total cost with no breakdown displayed anywhere. They didn't care.

Obviously Orbitz has no intention of ever honoring a BRG for the same site/reason twice. Every time I get one approved, the T&C change to prevent the same type of claim from being made again.

The final straw was when Orbitz had a higher price than every other major website for a hotel I needed to book. I submitted a claim with 7 screenshots of competing lower rates, and they had ridiculous reasons for denying every single one, most because the cancellation period was a few hours different. You see, they had amended the T&C a week or so before I filed my claim to add the criteria that the cancellation periods must match exactly.
Old Aug 15, 2014, 10:54 am

Does anyone have any experience with how long it takes the price difference Orbucks to post?

I had a claim approved on 8/1, and according to my count today marks 10 business days. Just wondering if I should contact them again.
Old Oct 7, 2014, 3:44 pm
tmh

Wanted to bump this with a few more successes/failures.

On Monday, 9/6, I was able to BRG (I'm now at 9 stays and the $150 tier), at the Ocean View Hotel Santa Monica (although post-stay, I would not recommend that hotel...at all...not when nearly every amenity on its listing is "off site" and the "courtyard view" is actually a "parking lot view." Too many other good options in SM, but it was fine for our needs).

Orbitz was $259+$39.98 Taxes & Fees = $298.98
Expedia was $250+$38.47 Taxes & Fees = $288.79.

I had tried last week to do a BRG match to the Anaheim Portofino, but was denied due to GetaRoom.com offerring both the "Rack rate" and a "Sale Rate" at the same time, even though the room descriptions were identical.

I continue to find disparities between hotelclub.com and orbitz (despite them being the same company) so I'm going to try to file my first matching those two together tomorrow.

So far, I've BRG'd the Orbitz system 4 times out of 9 stays, using either Orbucks or work expenses on the other 5. I'm trying to keep it balanced, just in case they decide to change their policies to limit usage. I've received $581 in Orbucks from a mix of BRGs and hotel earnings. My Santa Monica stay was an anomaly, as typically I won't stay at a hotel over my $150 return rate, so that I'm pretty much guaranteed "bogo" stays).

Right now, I'm saving up for a Vegas Thanksgiving trip.
Old Oct 7, 2014, 4:40 pm

Just did one for a best western in Bellingham. Compared with a limited time sale on expedia and went through without any problems.
Old Oct 8, 2014, 9:29 am

Programs: UA, IHG Platinum, BW Diamond, Carlson Gold, Accor Platinum,
Had 2/3 cases approved, it's not really that hard if the case is legitimate
Old Oct 8, 2014, 10:29 am

Programs: BD, AA, BA, CO Marriott Plat>gold, Hyatt Diamond>Plat,Hilton Gold SPG Gold PC Plat
The Orbitz Best Price Guarantee is available to any customer who books a qualifying flight, hotel or rental car through the Site on or after October 17, 2013 using a valid credit card with a United States billing address

Anyone had a claim approved using a non US credit card.
Old Oct 8, 2014, 8:33 pm

Originally Posted by tmh
Wanted to bump this with a few more successes/failures.

I continue to find disparities between hotelclub.com and orbitz (despite them being the same company) so I'm going to try to file my first matching those two together tomorrow.
See if you can find out why it's cheaper.... I've had a lot of BRG approved thru those two and just recently figured out why the rates are lower.

Up to the Superstar status so booked a $169 room in Santa Barbara in August, it was $149 elsewhere so $20 difference + the 5% orbucks + ~$195 due to superstar status. Making profit now!
Old Oct 8, 2014, 9:35 pm

Originally Posted by xcalx
The Orbitz Best Price Guarantee is available to any customer who books a qualifying flight, hotel or rental car through the Site on or after October 17, 2013 using a valid credit card with a United States billing address

Anyone had a claim approved using a non US credit card.
I've had my very first one approved on a non-usa credit card, then they caught on and then had to use my credit card with us billing address after. I'm canadian but live by the border so i use a usa po box for the address.
Old Oct 9, 2014, 9:09 am

If we are thinking the same, this is not limited to Orbitz brg.
Originally Posted by Mrdeals805
See if you can find out why it's cheaper.... I've had a lot of BRG approved thru those two and just recently figured out why the rates are lower.

Up to the Superstar status so booked a $169 room in Santa Barbara in August, it was $149 elsewhere so $20 difference + the 5% orbucks + ~$195 due to superstar status. Making profit now!
Old Oct 9, 2014, 1:10 pm
tmh

Originally Posted by Mrdeals805

I won't lie, the only reason I can think of as to why they're sometimes cheaper is that HotelClub is outside of the US. If you have a hot tip that is only for my eyes, feel free to PM me. I'm 5 months pregnant, so I'm not holding out much hope for me to solve problems these days... it's sort of like being drunk all the time (in terms of forgetfulness, brain fog, and nausea) with none of the fun!

As to your SuperStar Status, and making ~195, I thought that it was capped at the total cost of the room? (Unless you are saying that the $169 room + tax/fees is what netted you up to $195?)
Old Jul 14, 2015, 11:55 am

Any success?

Hi there,

Has anyone recently been approved, completed their stay, and subsequently received the Orbucks as promised?

I've read many threads in which people had received approval, but I haven't been able to find any success stories so far.

I'm planning a trip to Cancun in Sept and was able to get 3 different hotels approved for 3 consecutive nights and am worried they will not honor this, given the lousy service that Orbitz is notorious for. Admittedly, we only choose these hotels for the purpose of being able to have them price matched with the bonus Orbucks to be used for a future trip. Normally, these hotels are $180-$250 and out of our budget, but with the price match and bonus, we'd essentially only be paying about $50.

If anyone can share their experience, it would be greatly appreciated!

Sorry for reviving and old post and thank you kindly in advance.
Old Jul 16, 2015, 10:26 pm

Originally Posted by Cuculola
Hi there,

Has anyone recently been approved, completed their stay, and subsequently received the Orbucks as promised?

I've read many threads in which people had received approval, but I haven't been able to find any success stories so far.

I'm planning a trip to Cancun in Sept and was able to get 3 different hotels approved for 3 consecutive nights and am worried they will not honor this, given the lousy service that Orbitz is notorious for. Admittedly, we only choose these hotels for the purpose of being able to have them price matched with the bonus Orbucks to be used for a future trip. Normally, these hotels are $180-$250 and out of our budget, but with the price match and bonus, we'd essentially only be paying about $50.

If anyone can share their experience, it would be greatly appreciated!

Sorry for reviving and old post and thank you kindly in advance.
I just used them for two stays in Italy. The first stay was completed on July 1, and the Orbucks posted the next day, July 2. The second stay was completed on July 13, and the Orbucks posted on July 15. I'm shocked they did it so quickly!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.