Reload this Page >

Discover America: Daily Getaways 2013 from 6/10 to 7/12

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Discover America: Daily Getaways 2013 from 6/10 to 7/12

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2013, 6:57 am

Programs: UA 2MM, AA 600k, DL 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
Have at it, friends. ...At least with this first raft.
Old May 31, 2013, 7:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The Flyertalk world won't be excited by these offers. I collect Carlson points, but I can get them much cheaper using the ClubCarlson card.

The Marriott offer is insulting (but a few loyalists who are paying anyway will buy them).

If you frequently rent cars in the USA, you could probably use an Alamo certificate or two. I'm loyal to National (same company) due to the Emerald Club benefits, but sometimes Alamo can be much cheaper for certain rentals. And sometimes those rentals don't have other good discounts. Don't mess with the Avis certs; there's not so cheap, and can be difficult to use.

If you're planning to take your family to Sea World, that offers seems good. Theme Park tickets can be ridiculously expensive.
Old May 31, 2013, 7:28 am

Programs: UA 2MM, AA 600k, DL 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
Going to be interesting to see if the bloggers think they're worth the effort, when the effort in this particular game is a dynamic that's hugely influenced by themselves.
Old May 31, 2013, 7:49 am

Programs: DL, WoH
Horrible thus far....I think AMEX caught on that we are churning wyndham points and other points.
Old May 31, 2013, 7:58 am
Original Member, Moderator: Hotel Deals and MilesBuzz

I did the exact same New York New York package two years ago through this promotion for $250. At $345, it's still an ok deal but of course, not as good for $95 more.
Old May 31, 2013, 8:45 am

Programs: UA 1P, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Debating whether I should jump on the Carlson deal or just use CARLSONF.
Old May 31, 2013, 8:51 am

Programs: United Airlines Premier, Starwood Gold Preferred Guest, Hyatt Gold Passport, Club Carlson Gold
Hoping the Wyndham deal comes back this year. So far the preview has been ... meh
Old May 31, 2013, 12:34 pm

.35 cents for Club Carlson points if you have an Amex. Not bad, but not really worth getting crazy about.
Old May 31, 2013, 12:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by KathinJax
It also looks like there are 142 sets of 50,000 pts.

This is the deal that I was looking forward to as well. Why didn't I pick them up last year when they did not sell out as quickly?
Last year there was no Club Carlson CC if I remember it correctly.

To me, this is only attractive if you have the credit card for the 2-4-1 redemption.

Originally Posted by lkar
.35 cents for Club Carlson points if you have an Amex. Not bad, but not really worth getting crazy about.
Agree. It seems to be just a fair price, not a bargain.
Old May 31, 2013, 1:49 pm

Programs: KLM Gold, DL Silver
Originally Posted by vtqanh
Hoping the Wyndham deal comes back this year. So far the preview has been ... meh
It's good for only miles transfer. Otherwise the hotel redemption does not make sense due to the devaluation.
Old May 31, 2013, 3:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by iggyray
It's good for only miles transfer. Otherwise the hotel redemption does not make sense due to the devaluation.
Wyndham didn't really have much of a "devaluation." The initial blog reports were overblown.

I actually wish there wasn't a good miles transfer option because -- at the price these have traditionally been sold for -- these points make sense to get. I don't stay in Wyndham hotels very often (like two or three times a year), but sometimes you need to be somewhere that there aren't other good affordable options. Last year, that included Sitka, Alaska and Gardiner, Montana for me. The transfer option makes these points hard to get on Discover America; without it, the hotel snobs would avoid the promo.
Old May 31, 2013, 3:49 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold, Club Carlson Gold
Originally Posted by iahphx
I don't stay in Wyndham hotels very often (like two or three times a year), but sometimes you need to be somewhere that there aren't other good affordable options. Last year, that included Sitka, Alaska and Gardiner, Montana for me.
Agreed...I stayed in Wyndham exactly once last year...points I got from Daily Getways used in Mackanac, MI, which lacks good chain choices and has high summer prices. The points saved me about half the cost of the trip. ^

Last edited by groobie; May 31, 2013 at 5:43 pm Reason: typo
Old May 31, 2013, 3:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Wyndham points used to be pretty awesome for NYC, but the devaluation did whack that.
Old May 31, 2013, 4:07 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Wyndham Rewards points indeed are not of anywhere near as much desirability to me as they used to be. Wiping out much of the value of the points I would get for redemption nights in New York City was a big part of my loss of enthusiasm for the program.

Originally Posted by mediator
Debating whether I should jump on the Carlson deal or just use CARLSONF.
Without the credit card, I would be far less inclined to buy the Club Carlson points. Even with the credit card, I am not that eager for this.

My alternative use to a promo code would be to do points+cash, but the cash amount for points+cash stays is high enough that I can do better with a promo code. [And the promo code is more readily available for use at my desired properties -- a situation of YMMV -- than points+cash at a reasonable price.]
Old May 31, 2013, 5:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
I love the 20% off Marriott I hope I can get it again this year

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.