Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotel Deals
Reload this Page >

$9 Aloft Denver airport

$9 Aloft Denver airport

Old Dec 4, 2012, 1:09 pm

Programs: IC Royal Ambassador, Hyatt Diamond
I emailed SPG customer service and they showed that the reservation was changed. Said they would contact the hotel and look into it. I received this from the hotel:

"I greatly apologize for the issue with the rate. We are currently looking into what happened with the system offering a $9.00 rate for the 23rd of December. The actual rate during that time is $89.00 for a pre paid reservation. I can go ahead and cancel the reservation and make sure that you are not charged. Please advise."

I'm thinking I can 1k or 2k starwood points for my trouble and cancel the reservation.
Old Dec 4, 2012, 6:14 pm

Programs: AA-UA-AS IHG-SPG-Carlson
I also only became aware of any change via award wallet.
AW shows the res date changed from Dec. 4th to Dec. 5th.
Nice time machine.

SPG should contact member, not just offer to cancel if we contact them.
Prepaid is prepaid. Usually. But it is still just a few days old.

When nothing was said within a few days of booking.
I changed Christmas plans to overnight in DEN.

"vamos a ver".

Last edited by MrHalliday; Dec 4, 2012 at 6:39 pm
Old Dec 4, 2012, 7:07 pm

Programs: UA Gold-MM, AA Gold-MM, F9-Silver, Hyatt Something, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Funny, I was notified by AwardWallet about a rate change on a different SPG property a month or so ago. I had booked the Sheraton Wild Horse Pass Resort using the 10-year promo rate of $149. 6 weeks after I booked, Award Wallet told me the rate had changed to $229.

Called SPG, who called the property. Property claimed that they had to adjust the rate because too many people booked 1-night stays and were 'abusing' the promo (stay 1 night at Wild Horse, 1 night at Westin Kierland = 10K starpoint bonus).

They restored my rate, and gave me 1000 SPG points as compensation.
Old Dec 4, 2012, 9:17 pm

Programs: AA ExP
Just got an email from AwardWallet:
Rooms 1
Room Type 1 Adult, 1 Room
Cost $9 $89
Taxes $1.16 $11.44
Total $10.16 $100.44
The first rate is struckthrough, the second is the new rate in each case.
Old Dec 5, 2012, 7:45 am

What if you were not signed up for Awardwallet? Were they ever going to notify you of the change or you are just stuck when you show up? Pretty bad on the hotels part to just change it without notification...i'd press for them to honor it or no less than 2K points. If they had contacted you and said "sorry, something goofed, we can't honor this rate, here are your options...." then I can understand not pushing for something...it's one thing to mess up, it's another thing to try and hide it and secretly change it hoping nobody would notice until it is too late. Just bad customer service.
Old Dec 5, 2012, 11:30 am

Just got this email, offering either $49 rate or 2k SPG:
Dear Guest,

We are writing with regard to the reservation you recently made at the Aloft Denver International Airport. As you probably guessed, the $9.00 rate was incorrect and due to an error. Our system automatically corrected the rate, which we understand caused some confusion and concern. Please accept our apology.

The Terms & Conditions on our website stipulate our right to cancel if a reservation resulted from a mistake or error, but it is important to us at the Aloft and to Starwood to always show our appreciation for our valued guests and members. Accordingly, we would like to offer you a special, discounted rate of $49.00, plus tax, instead of the correct rate of $89.00, which as mentioned above, was already restored. We hope you will accept this offer and that we can look forward to welcoming you to the hotel for your scheduled stay should you choose to. In that same respect, if you have already cancelled your reservation, we will be happy to reinstate it at the $49.00 rate on the previously reserved dates if you are still planning on traveling to Denver.

Should you not wish to accept the offer and decide to cancel your reservation, please let us know and we will cancel without penalty. As a gesture of goodwill, upon cancellation, we will post 2,000 starpoints to your Starwood Preferred Guest account on a per-member basis.

We sincerely apologize for this inconvenience and understand that you may be disappointed. We value your business and hope you will choose to stay at the Aloft Denver International Airport. All Starwood Preferred Guest benefits will be fully honored! Please be reminded that in order to earn your benefits as an SPG member, you must stay at the hotel and pay for the stay, up to a maximum of three rooms.

Although this reservation was made on a Starwood Hotels and Resorts website/through Starwood Central Reservations, we ask that you please communicate with the hotel directly regarding your reservation(s). Please let me know how you would like to proceed at your earliest convenience. You can best reach me email at matt.*@aloftdenverairport.com or call me at 303-371-9500 extension *.

Sincerely,

Matthew T. *
Assistant General Manager
aloft Denver International Airport
16470 E. 40th Circle
Aurora CO 80011
Tel 303 371 9500 ext. *
Fax 303 371 9505
Old Dec 5, 2012, 11:31 am

Programs: IC Royal Ambassador, Hyatt Diamond
Dear Guest,

We are writing with regard to the reservation you recently made at the Aloft Denver International Airport. As you probably guessed, the $9.00 rate was incorrect and due to an error. Our system automatically corrected the rate, which we understand caused some confusion and concern. Please accept our apology.

The Terms & Conditions on our website stipulate our right to cancel if a reservation resulted from a mistake or error, but it is important to us at the Aloft and to Starwood to always show our appreciation for our valued guests and members. Accordingly, we would like to offer you a special, discounted rate of $49.00, plus tax, instead of the correct rate of $89.00, which as mentioned above, was already restored. We hope you will accept this offer and that we can look forward to welcoming you to the hotel for your scheduled stay should you choose to. In that same respect, if you have already cancelled your reservation, we will be happy to reinstate it at the $49.00 rate on the previously reserved dates if you are still planning on traveling to Denver.

Should you not wish to accept the offer and decide to cancel your reservation, please let us know and we will cancel without penalty. As a gesture of goodwill, upon cancellation, we will post 2,000 starpoints to your Starwood Preferred Guest account on a per-member basis.

We sincerely apologize for this inconvenience and understand that you may be disappointed. We value your business and hope you will choose to stay at the Aloft Denver International Airport. All Starwood Preferred Guest benefits will be fully honored! Please be reminded that in order to earn your benefits as an SPG member, you must stay at the hotel and pay for the stay, up to a maximum of three rooms.

Although this reservation was made on a Starwood Hotels and Resorts website/through Starwood Central Reservations, we ask that you please communicate with the hotel directly regarding your reservation(s). Please let me know how you would like to proceed at your earliest convenience.

Last edited by stinger101; Dec 5, 2012 at 11:43 am
Old Dec 5, 2012, 11:53 am

Originally Posted by stinger101
Dear Guest,

Although this reservation was made on a Starwood Hotels and Resorts website/through Starwood Central Reservations, we ask that you please communicate with the hotel directly regarding your reservation(s). Please let me know how you would like to proceed at your earliest convenience.
Very nice...see, this makes all the difference...yes, we'd like them to honor it all the time, but being given these two options is very fair.

And now I am kicking myself i didn't listen to the advice i've gotten which is always book it and see what happens...i didn't have a need for the room or a trip, but 2K points would be a nice gift.
Old Dec 5, 2012, 11:57 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, HH Gold, SPG Gold, National EC Executive, AA Platinum
Originally Posted by Mrgolfer21
Very nice...see, this makes all the difference...yes, we'd like them to honor it all the time, but being given these two options is very fair.....
+1.
Old Dec 5, 2012, 12:36 pm

Got the same e-mail.
Fair enough...
Old Dec 5, 2012, 1:17 pm

Programs: Delta, SPG
Originally Posted by Mrgolfer21
Very nice...see, this makes all the difference...yes, we'd like them to honor it all the time, but being given these two options is very fair.

And now I am kicking myself i didn't listen to the advice i've gotten which is always book it and see what happens...i didn't have a need for the room or a trip, but 2K points would be a nice gift.
I'm noticing that the ones that have received the email with options all have status with SPG - All I have is the two credit cards. Wondering now if I'll get the same options, or just the choice to cancel or pay full price?
Old Dec 5, 2012, 1:29 pm

Ditto. I'm happy w/2K points.
Old Dec 5, 2012, 1:45 pm

Originally Posted by shawnymcd
I'm noticing that the ones that have received the email with options all have status with SPG - All I have is the two credit cards. Wondering now if I'll get the same options, or just the choice to cancel or pay full price?
I have no status.
Was given the choice of $49 or cancel/2K SPG.
Old Dec 5, 2012, 7:52 pm

[QUOTE=MrHalliday;19802264the choice of $49 or cancel/2K SPG.[/QUOTE]

I'm confused.
If this was a mistake fare and the airline wanted to settle for 5X the original price, there would be a call to arms. Lawyers, DOT, congressmen would all be notified.

In this case it's "fair."
What is the difference?
Old Dec 5, 2012, 8:01 pm

Originally Posted by tracon
I'm confused.
If this was a mistake fare and the airline wanted to settle for 5X the original price, there would be a call to arms. Lawyers, DOT, congressmen would all be notified.

In this case it's "fair."
What is the difference?
A room that goes for 2800+45 is not worth fighting over when the alt is so attractive. That the definition of a good settlement: an agreement that's better for both sides than fighting. When the settlements are equitable enough, people will accept. That simple.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.