Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotel Deals
Reload this Page >

Negotiating Price with Hotels... Anybody Done That?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2008, 1:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Sixt Platinum, Avis Preferred Plus, Hertz President's Circle, Hilton Diamond

I am about to work in Downtown Los Angeles and I live in south Orange County. That's 60 miles apart and traffic in Los Angeles... need I say more?

I have been toying with the idea of calling a Holiday Inn or any within 10 miles or so from downtown, and negotiating with the manager a decent rate.. say $35 a night from Monday to Thursday (4 nights a week) for the next couple months.

Has anybody tried that? The normal rate is $80, I believe.
Old Jan 30, 2008, 1:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Sixt Platinum, Avis Preferred Plus, Hertz President's Circle, Hilton Diamond
Oh, yes, and I'd like to rack up points...
Old Jan 30, 2008, 2:04 pm
Formerly known as rwk32882

Programs: IHTFP, AS 75k, AA EXP, AC 75k, ex-UA 1K, Ex-BD *G (RIP), SPG Gold
Yes, I negotiated with Westin for a long-term stay last year. I called and spoke to the "Revenue Manager" who was able to get me a rate of approximately 50% of their lowest advertised rate. There weren't any stipulations either about leaving for a day or two here and there. Maybe they could do something similar at the Westin downtown?
Old Jan 30, 2008, 2:34 pm
Original Poster

The Bonaventure - they show $80 a night too. I stayed there years ago... hmm.. hope I can get 50% off!

Thanks.
Old Jan 30, 2008, 2:57 pm

Programs: UA/AA
Take a look at the Bidding for Travel and Better Bidding websites. You can see the amount the hotels are discounting their rooms for Priceline. That should be a good starting place for negotiations.

Have you considered taking the train into Union Station?
Old Jan 30, 2008, 3:01 pm

Programs: US CP, UA, HH Gold, Marriott Plat, DL, AA, CO, ++
50% off is rather hopeful but not impossible.

I've negotiated w/ Hilton's before. 89$ instead of 129$/nt.

JP
Old Jan 30, 2008, 4:17 pm
Original Poster

50% is hopeful in my case since it's 4 nights a week for the next 6 months.. I'm willing to sign a contract.

Union Station... it's an hour and a half commute... ugh
Old Jan 30, 2008, 8:20 pm
Formerly known as rwk32882

Programs: IHTFP, AS 75k, AA EXP, AC 75k, ex-UA 1K, Ex-BD *G (RIP), SPG Gold
Wiggums: One other thing you should account for in your negotiations (if it is applicable) are the parking fees downtown. The Bonaventure was getting $25 per day last time I was there.
Old Jan 30, 2008, 8:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
Originally Posted by Wiggums
Has anybody tried that? The normal rate is $80, I believe.
I used to do a ton of business near ORD and I would be there for 5-8 days every 2 months (roughly 30 nights a year). I was able to negotiate a rate with a major franchise by just talking with the manager. He also cut me some slack because I wasn't picky about the room/style/number of beds etc. He would even cut a few dollars if I wanted to only have occasional maid service (every 2 days instead of daily).

I got the rate cut from like 90ish to 48 per night.
Old Jan 30, 2008, 8:52 pm

Programs: I fly too much and stay at too many hotels
Why Not

Sure - have called higher tier preffered property and quoted lower tier competitor's rate, (two downtown hotels one 5 star, one 3). Asked for best available room at or below same rate if they want my business and are not sold out - (an unused room is unrecognized revenue). Have gotten suites with amenities at five star properties using this trick.
Old Jan 31, 2008, 10:40 am

Programs: AA PLT, SPG GLD, PC PLT SPIRE
I've done it all the time, sometimes more successful than others. It depends on the average occupancy of the hotel. If they are usually full (tourist area during summer months etc.), then you will not have as much negotiating power.

Definitely check on the Bidding For Travel site to get a good idea of what hotels in the are are willing to accept for "excess" rooms. Also, be careful of hidden costs. Parking in downtown Los Angeles could end up being really expensive. Scout around for cheaper nearby lots or try and negotiate a reduced parking cost. Sometimes the parking lot is run/owned by a different company from the hotel (which is the case IIRC with the Boneventure) and they won't be able to help.
Old Jan 31, 2008, 4:52 pm

how

hey how do you that i want to do that negociate with the manger please tell me how???
Old Jan 31, 2008, 5:45 pm

Programs: SPG & CO Plat.
Originally Posted by japanflyer
hey how do you that i want to do that negociate with the manger please tell me how???
Simple, really. You ask for the manager. When he arrives you ask for a moment of his time, share with him briefly why you are at least a bit different than others who are staying at the property, and why he would benefit from providing you a discount.

Such as: I live nearby and I've always wanted to stay here. If you have some unsold rooms tonight, perhaps we could help each other out.

OR

I've been checking prices in the market and your a bit higher that the others, but I'm very loyal to <brand> and don't want to stay elsewhere. Can we discuss a competitive match on rates?

OR

I represent the Onassis family and we're having a reunion soon. Can you comp me a night so I can evaluate your property.
Old Feb 1, 2008, 12:37 pm

thanks

thank you are there any other lines i should know about
Old Feb 1, 2008, 1:55 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond (MM), Hilton Diamond, Avis President's Club
I've done it for month+ stays and gotten the rate reduced by reducing the room cleaning to twice a week as well. If you offer them way to save money, that might help your case.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.