FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hotel Deals (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hotel-deals-607/)
-   -   Groupon-like site for travel and hotels only? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hotel-deals/1160358-groupon-like-site-travel-hotels-only.html)

rhazlett Dec 15, 2010 12:46 pm

Groupon-like site for travel and hotels only?

Hi, I know sometimes Groupon runs hotel offers, but I was wondering if anyone knew of group buying websites that were specifically focused on travel and tourism?

sc flier Dec 15, 2010 2:37 pm

Such as Jetsetter.com and SniqueAway.com? They're not true "group buying" sites since they don't require that a minimum number of people buy into the offer, but it's otherwise similar marketing.

Do a search in FlyerTalk's S.P.A.M. forum for info about the above "member-only" sale sites for hotels.

Welcome to FlyerTalk, rhazlett!

iahphx Dec 15, 2010 3:34 pm

Hey, let's start one. And maybe we can offer to sell it to google for $6 billion. :)

Seriously, there are similar concepts floating around, but I haven't found any of them to be worth my time. You'd generally need a deeper discount that what they typically offer.

FWIW, I did buy a groupon for the SPG La Paloma in Tucson this week. $75 in room credit for $25 (and I didn't really have to pay the $25 -- I had a $10 referral bonus). So worth looking around for these.

sc flier Dec 15, 2010 10:18 pm

Groupon doesn't currently make a lot of sense for me for hotel marketing. Since Groupon mostly focuses on local offers, it doesn't do well for marketing hotels in other cities.

I really wouldn't care much if there was a Groupon offer for a local hotel near my home.

IMO, no one has really put forth a good group buying website for travel marketing to a nationwide or bigger audience. A map clearly showing all current offers would be nice.

A group buying concept that I think would be nice for hotels would be one in which the price steadily drops for everyone as more people commit to the offer. For a Starwood hotel, the concept could be pretty simple by using its common method of giving a percentage off of the BAR rate based on the total room nights booked by the entire group. Here's an example:
200+ room nights = 20% off BAR
400+ room nights = 25% off BAR
600+ room nights = 30% off BAR
800+ room nights = 35% off BAR

Obviously, some hotels would be willing and able to discount much more than 35%.

chewy3 Dec 15, 2010 10:28 pm

I have thought about why there isn't a good travel groupon.

The main problem with a travel groupon is that travel is not a frequent purchase for most people, and it's also not a purchase people like to make split decisions on. And if someone starts it, Groupon can easily just add it on their site and with there 2000 person sales force you'd get trampled pretty quickly.

HomerJ Dec 16, 2010 9:54 am

If I am in a location on vacation...

Originally Posted by chewy3 (Post 15459585)
I have thought about why there isn't a good travel groupon.

The main problem with a travel groupon is that travel is not a frequent purchase for most people, and it's also not a purchase people like to make split decisions on. And if someone starts it, Groupon can easily just add it on their site and with there 2000 person sales force you'd get trampled pretty quickly.

....I just sign up for Groupon while I am there then just unsubscribe at the end of the trip...we got a really good all day snorkelling trip in Maui for 45% off through Groupon all without having to endure a timeshare pitch.

iahphx Dec 16, 2010 10:49 am

Originally Posted by HomerJ (Post 15461932)
....I just sign up for Groupon while I am there then just unsubscribe at the end of the trip...we got a really good all day snorkelling trip in Maui for 45% off through Groupon all without having to endure a timeshare pitch.

Yeah, I've been doing the same. It works pretty well. I got half off deep-sea fishing in S. Florida, along with hotel and attraction discounts in Arizona.

Just started watching the Honolulu groupon site. Didn't realize they did deals outside of Oahu. I'd love a Maui snorkeling trip groupon: Hawaii tour prices are so high, I'd only consider doing one if I got a substantial discount. Half off a luau would be nice too (my favorite touristy activity, but I'd never pay anything close to the published rates).

Tenerife Dec 16, 2010 4:32 pm

Since we are generally in the Orlando and/or Miami areas a couple of times a year, I simply get the daily Groupon mailings for those cities. The validity is usually at least 6 months - long enough to buy them and use them whenever we arrive.

OT for Hotel Deals, but thanks to Groupon we were finally able to go on a Segway tour in Orlando. We'd always wanted to try it out, but weren't prepared to pay the going rate of $75 per person. Great fun, and now I'd be willing to book them on port stops when we are on a cruise -- even if we have to pay full price:td:.

philosophy_king Dec 16, 2010 6:22 pm

Originally Posted by iahphx (Post 15457327)
Hey, let's start one. And maybe we can offer to sell it to google for $6 billion. :)

Seriously, there are similar concepts floating around, but I haven't found any of them to be worth my time. You'd generally need a deeper discount that what they typically offer.

FWIW, I did buy a groupon for the SPG La Paloma in Tucson this week. $75 in room credit for $25 (and I didn't really have to pay the $25 -- I had a $10 referral bonus). So worth looking around for these.

Yes I'm really interested in starting one groupon-like site for travel too. I know we have many flyertalkers here are more qualified for this. We should get together and work out something!!!!!:D

iahphx Dec 16, 2010 10:18 pm

Originally Posted by philosophy_king (Post 15465129)
Yes I'm really interested in starting one too groupon-like site for travel. I know we have many flyertalkers here are more qualified for this. We should get together an work out something!!!!!:D

Just don't make me write the imbecilic verbiage that accompanies each Groupon offer. I'm sure somebody here will tell me it's cute, or funny, or whatever. I usally defend the young folks from us older folk (I'm in my 40s) who don't get "edgier" humor, but give me a break. Their writing is annoying, useless dreck. Thank god they have a paragraph (usually a bit short on details) that explains the deal in plain English. Otherwise, I'd probably never buy an offer. :)

spaced2 Dec 17, 2010 6:36 am

workin' on one actually :) not exactly a groupon - that's a bit too simple given the sheer number of destinations, but a cool concept that would work similarly for the end user. currently fund raising for development as neither my partner and i are rolling in $$$.

MilesTalk Dec 17, 2010 9:27 am

For this type of deal, what about Jetsetter do you all not like (how does it not meet your needs)? It's worldwide and discounts are often notably below the hotel website.

Just curious.

benzemalyonnais Dec 17, 2010 10:18 am

yes - i agree on jetsetter...the hotels are really good - and the prices are usually good as well. i'm waiting till the shanghai hyatt opens up at 3pm today hopefully snagging a couple of nights below the $250 their website quotes.

that being said - there could be something better.....

bosbdl Dec 17, 2010 11:43 am

One of the more popular ones is Living Social Escapes http://escapes.livingsocial.com. Living Social is the next biggest group buying site behind Groupon and on their niche "Escape" site every week they offer hotel packages in every region of the country, as well as some in the Caribbean. In most cases if you get three friends or family members to buy with you, you'll get to stay free.

Sometimes the deals are great, sometimes just average but I like that they usually package the deals with a value-added add on like free drinks or a cooking class.

BEAV Dec 17, 2010 2:28 pm

Originally Posted by bosbdl (Post 15469345)
One of the more popular ones is Living Social Escapes http://escapes.livingsocial.com. Living Social is the next biggest group buying site behind Groupon and on their niche "Escape" site every week they offer hotel packages in every region of the country, as well as some in the Caribbean. In most cases if you get three friends or family members to buy with you, you'll get to stay free.

Sometimes the deals are great, sometimes just average but I like that they usually package the deals with a value-added add on like free drinks or a cooking class.

I was able to cash in on Living Social's deal last week at Pan Pacific Vancouver. $799 for 5 nights in a Bay View Suite w/club level privileges thrown in. It was a simple transaction and I was confirmed for my desired travel dates with the hotel without any snafus. So far, so good.