Reload this Page >

Carlson Hotels (Radisson) Family & Friends Rate - 2009 - 2017 Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 9, 2014, 4:07 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: bhatnasx
The Friends and Family rate is intended to be offered to travellers who are "friend and family members" of a Carlson employee. That could be a hotel employee, a travel agent (Carlson Wagonlit) or restaurant employee (TGIF) (TGIF sold to Sentinel Capital Partners as of July 2014).

When you book the rate, you are supposed to have the basic data on your friend available at check-in for the hotel to verify that you are indeed authorized to use that rate. Generally, if they ask, they ask for:
1) Employee Name
2) Work location

Please consider that, as per T&C, only employee name and location can be requested only at the check in time.

The new code is RHGRFNF
NOTE:
Booking a rate that you're not entitled to book may result in rate adjustments and Club Carlson account freezing.

In general, the rate is €80 per night in Europe.

*These stays post as "Ineligible" - non-qualifying, non-stay, non-points earning ... so, in sum, don't associate a F&F reservation with your Gold Points account, unless elite perks you hope to enjoy are worth the risk.
Print Wikipost

Carlson Hotels (Radisson) Family & Friends Rate - 2009 - 2017 Thread

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4, 2016, 1:37 am

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, UA 1.56MM (fmr UA1K)
Originally Posted by boxo
Eeek, this is disappointing. I did a search for Radissons in Sydney and Melbourne, both which I stayed once 2-3 years ago, and I see this. It seems all three have opted out of offering the F&F rate.
I don't know how far you were looking out... but I've often seen that when searching far out... like 2017... I'm not sure that means that it won't be offered but that it's just not offered yet perhaps
Old Sep 6, 2016, 3:10 pm

Radisson Blu Oslo Airport at OSL — no issues at check-in.
Old Sep 7, 2016, 3:15 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
Eeek, this is disappointing. I did a search for Radissons in Sydney and Melbourne, both which I stayed once 2-3 years ago, and I see this. It seems all three have opted out of offering the F&F rate.
Originally Posted by Renard
I don't know how far you were looking out... but I've often seen that when searching far out... like 2017... I'm not sure that means that it won't be offered but that it's just not offered yet perhaps
After running some more random searches, I see your points. I don't recall seeing the grayish "rate not offered" box before or the "Unfortunately, the promotional rate you are searching for is not offered at this hotel." I always got the blue calendar if the rate was not available for my specific dates. I think the difference is you get the blue calendar if dates are not available during a period where the hotel has loaded dates vs the grayish "rate not offered" box when the hotel hasn't loaded availability at all for the far future.

My apologies to the thread for crying wolf. I'm a newbie around here.
Old Sep 7, 2016, 6:24 pm

Programs: UA 2MM, AA 600k, DL 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
Completely off-topic, at least up to this moment: Some Carlson hotels I watch regularly don't load points+cash rates further into the future than a month out either.
Old Sep 8, 2016, 3:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, UA 1.56MM (fmr UA1K)
After running some more random searches, I see your points. I don't recall seeing the grayish "rate not offered" box before or the "Unfortunately, the promotional rate you are searching for is not offered at this hotel." I always got the blue calendar if the rate was not available for my specific dates. I think the difference is you get the blue calendar if dates are not available during a period where the hotel has loaded dates vs the grayish "rate not offered" box when the hotel hasn't loaded availability at all for the far future.

My apologies to the thread for crying wolf. I'm a newbie around here.
What I've done before is search closer in and find a date that doesn't have availability. I move forward through the months and often you'll find a certain point where availability seems to drop off a cliff. That may be the point where they stopped loading availabity. Now of course there might be other explanations (like the start of high season) but this often gives an idea. Of course if a hotel is doing well there is very little incentive to offer this rate at all. As the industry as a whole is doing quite well, we've seen the participation and availability drop right off.
In my informal poking around it seems like very few properties have this rate for 2017 loaded in. My guess is that we'll see this changes pretty quickly as we move in to the fourth quarter.
Old Sep 14, 2016, 2:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP (LT Plat 2MM), Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Plat, SPG Plat75, UA1K
Originally Posted by gottaluvNW
Radisson ZRH is notorious for wanting to know which employee gave you the rate code...
Stayed at the property on September 3rd - 1 night. No questions at all about how I got the rate.
Old Sep 14, 2016, 3:01 pm

Programs: AA EXP (LT Plat 2MM), Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Plat, SPG Plat75, UA1K
Stayed at the Radisson Blu Madrid Prado Aug 31-Sept 3. No issues using the F&F Rate - never questioned who I knew, etc. Rooms are TINY and pretty sparsely decorated. For 80 Euro - who could complain? The location was FANTASTIC - right on the Paseo del Prado, across from the museum and a stones throw from the Gran Via. Great restaurants just a few blocks behind the hotel.
Old Sep 16, 2016, 6:42 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, United, AAdvantage
I have one question if anyone has experienced that.
I made one F&F booking in Paris for 2 nights. I am staying in Paris for 3 nights and F&F rates were available only on last 2 nights. Now, if I add 1st night on points, I think I should be able to merge the 2 reservations but how breakfast benefits will be handled. Anyone has done something like this?
Old Sep 16, 2016, 11:53 am

Programs: AS MVP, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
Radisson Midtown USC
Los Angeles, CA

Another great stay, but this time, my room was on the opposite side of the hotel overlooking the parking garage and 110 freeway. I don't recall if there was a mini-fridge last time, but I had one this time. The bathrooms are teeny tiny - the kind where you have to watch your toes when opening or closing the door because it's so cramped. Again, ear plugs were on the nightstand, but the noise wasn't too bothersome. And again, great staff and no questions asked.

FYI, Uber to the heart of downtown (7th & Hill St) was $6 at 10 am.

Radisson Midtown USC
Los Angeles, CA

Had a great stay. Fast, friendly check-in. The rate wasn't mentioned. Since the university is right across the street, there are plenty of restaurants, public bus options. I must say, I was a little nervous arriving by bus from Union Station. College kids walking around when I arrived 10 pm, plus LAPD officers strolling the streets.

My room faced the main street (Figueroa). The traffic noise didn't bother me at all, but I will say, there are hotel-provided ear plugs on the night stand! I wasn't there long enough to check out any of the hotel services or amenities. But I would highly recommend this place if the location suits you.
Old Oct 10, 2016, 5:02 am

Programs: AA, BA, DL, UA, SAS
Just a heads up, the Radisson BLU Amsterdam Airport is asking for work email, job title, and then asks the "contact" to send an email confirming the rate. Luckily I have a real contact, but for those out there that don't, be aware that they're being quite aggressive about the reference.
Old Oct 10, 2016, 6:54 am

Programs: NEXUS; *A Gold
Originally Posted by nitbix
Just a heads up, the Radisson BLU Amsterdam Airport is asking for work email, job title, and then asks the "contact" to send an email confirming the rate. Luckily I have a real contact, but for those out there that don't, be aware that they're being quite aggressive about the reference.
clearly they're making up their own rules as they go along as this is not what's written in the T&C's of the rate which clearly state, "Before booking this rate, please note that employee name and work location will be required at time of check-in"

nowhere does it state that the employee must send an email to anyone
Old Oct 16, 2016, 4:28 am
Suspended

Programs: *A
Originally Posted by gottaluvNW
Radisson ZRH is notorious for wanting to know which employee gave you the rate code...
Never had an issue since the promotion started, at least 5x/year. They asked the very first time and haven't asked since. I'm on a first-name basis with a couple of the desk people and am Gold, so that probably factors in.
Old Oct 18, 2016, 3:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Radisson Blu Royal Astorija, Vilnius

No issues or questions at check-in for this hotel. However, the F&F did not lead to huge savings as hotel rates in Vilnius/Lithuania are fairly cheap (ordinary rates at the other Radisson Blu hotel in Vilnius are actully lower than EUR 80 most days but the location was not great for me)

Radisson Blu Royal Astorija has a great location in the old town/historical part of Vilnius. Rooms are well maintained, staff is friendly and breakfast is good. Had an enjoyable stay - would not hesitate to book again.
Old Oct 27, 2016, 12:30 pm

Programs: TK Elite Plus, BA Silver, AF Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Spire
Radisson Oslo Airport - no questions at all
Old Oct 30, 2016, 4:57 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by recki2016
Radisson Oslo Airport - no questions at all
+1. Stayed there a few weeks ago with no issues. Indeed was upgraded to business class room. Breakfast was included as it should be.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.