Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Hong Kong and Macau
Reload this Page >

Private Transport HKIA to Dongguan (SkyLimo)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2009, 10:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K MM, Hyatt Plat

Hello, we have party of 3 golfers arriving from around the world in HK, each with their bulky golf bags. Our arrival times are between 5.45pm from SFO, 6.30 from BKK and 6.45 from PVG and we would like to head straight to Sofitel Golf Resort in Dongguan.

I went to the HKIA's website and read about SkyLimo and was thinking of renting one of their Alphard's to take3 of us to the hotel. But nowhere on the site does it mention costs.

Anyone have any clue or any other recommendation for other modes of transportation? We would like to keep it to 3 of us, and a no haggle pricing.

Thanks
Old Jan 15, 2009, 11:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: La Ministreuse de Surréalisme, CO Plat, MR Plat, SPG Plat
I've taken car service from hotels in HKG (Hotel arranged) to Dongguan and it's ranged (depending on time of year; read if it's busy and fairs are going on) from 1200 HKD to 1800 HKD.
Old Jan 15, 2009, 1:54 pm

The American Express Travel franchise in HK has a fleet of limo for hire but do not know if they operate cross-border. Here's the link, and you may want to send them an e-mail to check:

http://www.amextravel.com.hk/limo/index.asp
Old Jan 15, 2009, 4:43 pm
Suspended

Programs: None any more
I'm sure if you call the numbers on the HK Airport page for the two providers they will be able to quote you a price.
Old Jan 15, 2009, 5:13 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by christep
I'm sure if you call the numbers on the HK Airport page for the two providers they will be able to quote you a price.
Thanks, I will call tonight but I was just wondering if there were any other companies?
Old Jan 16, 2009, 3:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There's also a direct bus to the centre of Dongguan priced at about $180 per pax. I don't know where the golf-resort is, but my educated guess is that the most expensive taxi fare within the Dongguan area would be in the region of 50 yuan.
BTW, I find it really bizarre that someone would fly PVG-HKG then go back and cross the land border when they can catch a flight to SZX which is much nearer to Dongguan in addition to being within the PRC.
Old Jan 16, 2009, 8:22 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
Recall skylimo being mentioned in one thread in the China sub-forum,
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/china...airport-3.html
Old Jan 17, 2009, 1:32 pm

Programs: FB Platinum
Originally Posted by graraps
There's also a direct bus to the centre of Dongguan priced at about $180 per pax. I don't know where the golf-resort is, but my educated guess is that the most expensive taxi fare within the Dongguan area would be in the region of 50 yuan.
BTW, I find it really bizarre that someone would fly PVG-HKG then go back and cross the land border when they can catch a flight to SZX which is much nearer to Dongguan in addition to being within the PRC.
or CAN for that matter

Crazy to fly to HKG if you actually want to get to Dong Guan !!

nickyboy
Old Jan 17, 2009, 1:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
Hey, who knows the rest of the story? Maybe that person coming in Shanghai won't fly any Chinese domestic airline? Maybe he/she has very special needs and really can't get from SZX to the hotel by him/herself?
Old Jan 19, 2009, 7:37 pm

Programs: MPC
give these guys a call. 2882 1350 I use them for my golf trips.
Old Jan 19, 2009, 7:44 pm

Originally Posted by thursday
give these guys a call. 2882 1350 I use them for my golf trips.
What is the name and address of this service provider please? Do they have a web site? I'd like to verify that they have a licence to carry passengers for hire and proper insurance. I may be able to use them on my next trip.

Thank you.
Old Jan 19, 2009, 8:10 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rkkwan
Hey, who knows the rest of the story? Maybe that person coming in Shanghai won't fly any Chinese domestic airline? Maybe he/she has very special needs and really can't get from SZX to the hotel by him/herself?
My mandarin is passable, but has gone downhill since I lived the past 13 years in the US. The person from BKK speaks no mandarin/cantonese whatsoever. The person from PVG is going to help us get around, and he is going to stay in HKG for 2 weeks after we leave for business. Hence the flight to HKG instead of SZX/CAN.

Besides, we are flying in to celebrate HIS 30th
Old Jan 19, 2009, 9:02 pm

Programs: MPC
Originally Posted by Clipper801
What is the name and address of this service provider please? Do they have a web site? I'd like to verify that they have a licence to carry passengers for hire and proper insurance. I may be able to use them on my next trip.

Thank you.
without doing a commercial, try this:

http://www.golf007.com/travel/index_en.html

press the "land" tab.
Old Jan 20, 2009, 5:22 am

Originally Posted by Clipper801

Thank you.
They probably don't - the fact is most cross border car service outfits do nothave a HK Hire Car Permit. Never had an issue, and my guy only charges HKD 450 from Central to the Lo Wu area in a Alphard, but it is something travelers should be aware of.
Old Jan 20, 2009, 7:24 am

Originally Posted by B-HQC
They probably don't - the fact is most cross border car service outfits do nothave a HK Hire Car Permit. Never had an issue, and my guy only charges HKD 450 from Central to the Lo Wu area in a Alphard, but it is something travelers should be aware of.
My concern is, if we are involved in a serious accident, I am not sure if my travel insurance will cover as I am riding in an unlicensed hire car and whether the car will have insurance to cover me. If the operator does not have a HK Hire Car Permit, it most likely does not have proper insurance to carry passengers for compensation. At the end, I suppose that it is not an issue unless there is an accident. I shall then be penny wise and pound foolish. I think that I prefer to hire an operator with the proper licence and insurance even if it means more expensive but it's really an individual's personal choice.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.