Reload this Page >

Cuban Cigars at HKG Duty Free?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cuban Cigars at HKG Duty Free?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2010, 5:38 pm

Programs: Virgin FC, Qantas, Golden Circle, Sofitel, Hyatt, Starwood, Nectar, and my Tesco Club Card
Originally Posted by supermasterphil
I am currently at the airport and just came across a big sign that the airport claims that all stores are as cheap as downtown and there is no price difference between the different airport stores If I pass by a cigar store, I will let you know.
Was there the usual "..and if we're not we'll match it" get-out. Which is a way of saying "well actually we might not be the cheapest". Most people will never bother to try to price match and will just read the bit that says "we're as cheap as downtown"
Old Mar 29, 2010, 8:50 pm

Programs: LH, AB, SPG, CC, Sixt, EC
Originally Posted by Kettering Northants QC
Was there the usual "..and if we're not we'll match it" get-out. Which is a way of saying "well actually we might not be the cheapest". Most people will never bother to try to price match and will just read the bit that says "we're as cheap as downtown"
I didn't read the fineprint as I had no intention to buy anything or look for stuff until I read the OP's post
Old Mar 30, 2010, 2:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, HHonors Diamond, IHG Diamond Elite
Originally Posted by supermasterphil
I am currently at the airport and just came across a big sign that the airport claims that all stores are as cheap as downtown and there is no price difference between the different airport stores If I pass by a cigar store, I will let you know.
As a point of reference, I left my Ipod Touch (32gb) on the plane to HKG so I was shopping for a replacement in Hong Kong. The shops in Mongkok and TST had prices from U.S. $277-$310 and the price at a store at the airport was $348. Meanwhile it was $257.54 on amazon.com. I wouldn't buy anything at HKG.
Old Oct 28, 2013, 2:45 am

Programs: Amex-gold, Hainan-gold, Mrt-LT Titanium
Originally Posted by abraxis

Pacific Cigar Co. are the only authorized distributors of Habanos in Asia-Pacific. As long as their boxes have the seal, you can't go wrong. Here's a link to their shops (on the right side of the page).

http://www.pacificcigar.com/eng/loca...ores/shop1.php
In HK for the weekend to shop for a few cigars. thanks for this web site.
Old Oct 28, 2013, 7:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Had a post dinner smoke at MO location celebrating new nephew last night. ^^^
Old Nov 3, 2013, 9:08 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
An interesting option are "cigar master" cigarettes made in Korea and sold at ICN duty free for USD 40/100 cigs. They are 36% cuban cigar leaf tobacco and have a surprisingly similar taste to cuban cigars -- astonishingly so given the price difference! Just discovered these in Korea and quite a treat for the price. They even come in a wooden box instead of the normal cigarette packet.
Old Nov 3, 2013, 10:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by number_6
An interesting option are "cigar master" cigarettes made in Korea and sold at ICN duty free for USD 40/100 cigs. They are 36% cuban cigar leaf tobacco and have a surprisingly similar taste to cuban cigars -- astonishingly so given the price difference! Just discovered these in Korea and quite a treat for the price. They even come in a wooden box instead of the normal cigarette packet.
They are similar to Habanos from Cohiba or Montecristo in Cuba. Packs of 20 for 5-6 USD in Cuba in the hardbox.
Old Nov 3, 2013, 11:08 pm

Another option is to buy online. Puro Express, Baranows, Tom Tom, Cigar1, VIP etc. I check them all out and just buy what's on sale. A Partagas Series D #4 would be about $8. A Monte or Bolivar #2 - $12. They even ship to the US. I would get the naked smokes in 3 days, sealed in plastic, invoiced as Philippine cigars $1/stick. If you want the boxes & bands, they mail them and you get 'em a week later. Never paid any duty, but even in Canada, how much could it be at $1/stick.
Old Jan 6, 2014, 5:52 pm

Programs: Aeroplan 50K, Marriott Plat, Amex Plat
As a cigar smoker who will be in HK next month, this caught my eye.

I have ordered several times from http://www.cigarsofhabanos.com/aboutus.aspx which is based in HK. Apparently there is a brick and mortar store there as well, although I have not visited it.

The mail order business is excellent and customer service is very good. They mail the packages from China with humi packs. bands can be shipped separately.

I usually buy my cigars from Cuba. Their prices are about the same as the gov't stores in Cuba, but they will mail them to me.

I would recommend their mail order service and intend to check out their retail shop when I am in town.
Old Jan 6, 2014, 6:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, HHonors Diamond, IHG Diamond Elite
Originally Posted by Vancouver Guy
As a cigar smoker who will be in HK next month, this caught my eye.

I have ordered several times from http://www.cigarsofhabanos.com/aboutus.aspx which is based in HK. Apparently there is a brick and mortar store there as well, although I have not visited it.

The mail order business is excellent and customer service is very good. They mail the packages from China with humi packs. bands can be shipped separately.

I usually buy my cigars from Cuba. Their prices are about the same as the gov't stores in Cuba, but they will mail them to me.

I would recommend their mail order service and intend to check out their retail shop when I am in town.
When you visit their store in Hong Kong, please post whether the prices are the same as the website. These are very reasonable prices if available for retail in Hong Kong.
Old Jan 6, 2014, 6:41 pm

Will do.

I will add that I belong to a cigar club here in Vancouver and although we all go to Cuba regularly, many of our members have standing orders through this company.

I had one box show up crushed with a bunch of chinese language stamps on it (over the tire tracks). I sent them a photo of the smooshed box and another box was sent off immediately, even though half of the originals were still smokeable. That earned a lot of good will from me.
Old Jan 7, 2014, 10:40 am

Follow up: I emailed the shop last night to find out about a retail location.

I was advised that they no longer have a retail location because they are able to keep their prices low by shipping from a "duty free bonded warehouse and as such no local Hong kong duty has been paid. For this reason we are not able to deliver to a Hong Kong address."

That said, they are able to ship to a address in Macau and presumably in Guangdong as well.

Sorry if I got anyone's hopes up unnecessarily.
Old Jul 9, 2016, 11:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Bonvoy LT Titanium
Bumping this good thread I just ran into...we're in HK and would love info for good priced Cubans

Tia
Old Jul 10, 2016, 7:49 pm

Originally Posted by dtsm
That's funny and definitely not true, except maybe for the high end boutiques
They definitely have lots of signs that say this.

However!!!! It is quite the scam. It makes it seem that they guarantee prices are cheaper at the airport than downtown.
But look at the T+Cs.. https://www.hongkongairport.com/eng/...guarantee.html

''If you have bought any item at Hong Kong International Airport and found that the price is higher than that of an identical item at our retailers' comparable outlets in Hong Kong operating under the same Trade Name on the same day,''

You then have to apply in writing to state the difference in price. Wait for a response and then RETURN the item in its original condition/ packaging.

I'd be surprised if anyone had got something from this scheme.
Old Jul 10, 2016, 10:32 pm

Programs: United Silver, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by vg247
Bumping this good thread I just ran into...we're in HK and would love info for good priced Cubans

Tia
Online at Cigarsofhabanos

/thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.