Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What is the equivalent of amazon.com in Hong Kong

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2009, 1:35 am
Original Poster

What is the equivalent of amazon.com in Hong Kong

I am trying to buy something to be delivered to a friend in Hong Kong. I would like suggestions to a good site for baby stuff.

TIA
Old Jan 5, 2009, 1:37 am
Suspended

Programs: None any more
Some use Amazon and ship internationally, but a popular local equivalent is http://www.shopinhk.com/
Old Jan 5, 2009, 2:01 am

Programs: UA, AA
http://www.yesasia.com is similar in terms of books, music and cds but not sure about baby stuff. There is a toys section, though.
Old Jan 8, 2009, 10:22 pm

Originally Posted by christep
Some use Amazon and ship internationally, but a popular local equivalent is http://www.shopinhk.com/
Shopinhk has a specific baby section:

http://www.shopinhk.com/baby-shop-c-8.html
Old Apr 3, 2013, 12:25 pm
Suspended

Is there any other website since this thread was started? I thought there was an equivalent in HK to amazon.com but may be mistaken.

Also can HK residents buy from amazon.cn?

Thanks
Old Apr 3, 2013, 10:14 pm

Programs: BA Gold, JGC Sapphire, OZ Diamond, AF Silver, CX GR, Marriott Lifetime SL
Originally Posted by ChuckMango
Is there any other website since this thread was started? I thought there was an equivalent in HK to amazon.com but may be mistaken.

Also can HK residents buy from amazon.cn?

Thanks
I don't really aware an Amazon alternative for HongKong. The last time I check Amazon. Cndoesn't ship to HK.

nowadays taobao is popular among HKer but it is Chinese site only with some complicate. Handling between here and there.
Old Apr 8, 2013, 12:37 am

Programs: BA (sigh) Blue (thanks strikers). Arsenal Gold
Amazon has global shipping that many folks use here because the selection is much better online. You can also use the free shipping of Bookdepository.com

Many locals use Taobao.com though, which is probably bigger than Amazon. Sort of a mix of Ebay and Amazon with tons of stuff--but it's in Chinese. I've navigated it successfully using Google Chrome's translate functions.
Old Apr 8, 2013, 1:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by mntblue
I am trying to buy something to be delivered to a friend in Hong Kong. I would like suggestions to a good site for baby stuff.
To OP's question, due to the size of Hong Kong, online shopping is similar not popular.
Old Apr 10, 2013, 10:20 pm

Programs: BA Gold OWE
For books, an English website is paddyfield.com which is HK based.

They charge RRP for everything with a loyalty based discounting scheme. Delivery is slow though, about 5 weeks on average IME. They probably just order it from their overseas suppliers, ship it over by boat and repackage for local re-posting.

But its free shipping in HK for medium sized orders, vs shipping charges on Amazon and elsewhere.

Last edited by toplayer; Apr 10, 2013 at 10:21 pm Reason: Free shipping.
Old Apr 11, 2013, 4:09 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, Miles & Smiles *G, PC Amb
Have a look at this recent article...

http://www.littlestepsasia.com/hong-...m_medium=email

The babycentral site is one i use often.
Old Nov 8, 2016, 5:28 am

I'll resurface this thread once more: have any other sites popped up since we last discussed this (April '13)?

I just ordered something yesterday and had it shipped to Borderlinx in the US (as per this article, though I haven't received it yet so I can't say how fast the shipping to HK is. The whole process so far has been easy, but I'm curious to hear if any better alternatives have come up in the past 3.5 years.

Thanks.
Old Nov 8, 2016, 6:15 am

If you're actually in HK and can read Chinese, then Yahoo Auctions HK is an option. Usually you arrange to pick the stuff up at an MTR station and pay cash. Most things seem to be sold on a buy-now basis. Unlike Taobao, you're dealing with someone locally and don't have to worry about surprising extra charges on the "free" shipping.

As for used books, postage rate increases have made buying from the U.S. pretty expensive these days. U.K. international postage still seems reasonable and there are a lot of second-hand dealers in Britain with rock-bottom prices on common books. Plus, you get the benefit of the recent fall of the pound. On Abebooks you can limit your search to the U.K.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.