Wiki Posts
Search

Best Prepaid SIM Card for HK

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2007, 9:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NW Gold/SPG Plat/Hilton Gold
Best Prepaid SIM Card for HK

What is the best prepaid SIM card to purchase? Please advise experiences with the various cards and carriers? Has anything changed with respect to foreigners purchasing these cards?
Old Nov 13, 2007, 9:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
There's no restriction who buys these cards.

Services are similar among carriers. I use PCCW, others like People's. Main thing you need to decide is whether you're going to call local (HK) more, or international.

Both PCCW and Peoples have two main kinds of SIMs. One is very cheap local (as low as 5-6 HK cents per minute), but expensive international. The other is 25 HK cents per minute, but has reduced or free international "IDD" rates.
Old Nov 15, 2007, 10:46 pm

Originally Posted by rkkwan
There's no restriction who buys these cards.

Services are similar among carriers. I use PCCW, others like People's. Main thing you need to decide is whether you're going to call local (HK) more, or international.

Both PCCW and Peoples have two main kinds of SIMs. One is very cheap local (as low as 5-6 HK cents per minute), but expensive international. The other is 25 HK cents per minute, but has reduced or free international "IDD" rates.
If you want to call a lot IDD then Smartones paygo might be an option. They charge local airtime at 0.15 HK$ and IDD to Europe(landlines only) and China, US (also mobile) at 0.50 But they have a monthly fee of 62 HK$ (Very hidden on their website). It is a prepaid card, no contract.
Old Nov 16, 2007, 12:57 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, Miles & Smiles *G, PC Amb
Originally Posted by HKtraveller
If you want to call a lot IDD then Smartones paygo might be an option. They charge local airtime at 0.15 HK$ and IDD to Europe(landlines only) and China, US (also mobile) at 0.50 But they have a monthly fee of 62 HK$ (Very hidden on their website). It is a prepaid card, no contract.
$62 a month monthly fee! ouch....especially for a prepaid card! Might as well sign up on a contract...
Old Nov 16, 2007, 5:17 am

Originally Posted by slickalick
$62 a month monthly fee! ouch....especially for a prepaid card! Might as well sign up on a contract...
If you only come for a short period a contract is not suitable. And then where do you get an IDD rate to most western countries and China for 0,5 HK$ per minute.
The 1966 flatrate from Three costs an extra 48 HK$ on top of the 50$ monthly rate, which is still a bargain if you call a lot overseas. But I'd rather not use the mobile so extensively anyway.
Old Nov 16, 2007, 6:58 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Delta Skymiles Platinum
I travel to HK 2-3 times per year. I have a 3 prepaid sim card. It's great. No contract. No monthly fee. Just the cost of calls, which is amazingly cheap. My only problem is I can't use up enough money, but I have to keep re-charging before it expires.
Old Nov 18, 2007, 3:45 pm

Programs: Qantas Frequent Flyer Platinum
Can u can these prepaid cards at the airport or at the local supermarket/convinent sores?
Old Nov 18, 2007, 8:58 pm

Programs: BA
you can get them at 7-11 or "OK" convient store.
arrival level in HKG airport.
located in between the two arrive exit gates
Old Nov 19, 2007, 3:58 am

Programs: AA, UA, CO
I think the best prepaid SIM is People's IDD Talk, which others have mentioned. It gives you HKD0.25/min calls to basically the developed world. As others have said, 7-11 has 'em.

http://www.peoples.com.hk/p_prepaid_...efault_iso.jsp
Old Nov 21, 2007, 12:56 pm

I also used People's IDD TALK SIM card $0.25/min. for all calls, local and US. They sometimes have specials, which give discounts off the suggested price. I usually buy them at 7-11 and ask if any carriers are having specials.
Old Nov 23, 2007, 1:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Upscale hotels like the MO or IC have business centers that take of it for you and it doesn't cost much. They seem to have longer expiration dates too. The MO is basically an MVNO.
Old Nov 24, 2007, 10:42 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

The 7-11 at the airport didn't have People's, did have PCCW. It was like HK$62 for the 25 cent/minute IDD plan, and the package includes a $10 discount on the next recharge (which I am not going to be needing on my 2 night stay!).

Seems to work fine, expiration date appears to be 6 months from date of purchase.
Old Nov 25, 2007, 1:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NW Gold/SPG Plat/Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by RichardInSF
The 7-11 at the airport didn't have People's, did have PCCW. It was like HK$62 for the 25 cent/minute IDD plan, and the package includes a $10 discount on the next recharge (which I am not going to be needing on my 2 night stay!).

Seems to work fine, expiration date appears to be 6 months from date of purchase.
I had the same experience that they were out of stock with Peoples! I decided to wait until I got to my hotel to go to 7-11. There was a HK$20 coupon on one of the tourist maps for PCCW I noticed at my hotel. Peoples had a HK$15 bonus added to the airtime when activated by Nov 30th which I received on the third day.

I am very happy with Peoples as it seems everywhere I look at my phone there has been a full signal. Voice quality has been excellent and no dropped calls.
Old Nov 27, 2007, 1:12 pm

there's tons of prepaid sim cards and you can buy them @ 7-11 when you get to the airport.

Last year I used Three.
http://dualband.three.com.hk/website...21100&lang=eng

They have a bunch of SIM cards which you can choose from depending on your travel patterns...I used to the orange and green ones...I think one allows roaming and one is for HK only.
Old Jan 15, 2009, 1:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My understanding is that CSL is the only company that will give you HSDPA access for the iPhone 3G on a prepaid card (at HK$50 for 1 day, HK$178 for 5 and a higher fee for a month).

People (China Mobile) only has GPRS, while PCCW doesn't list any data services (other than pay-as-you-go Wi-Fi) for prepaid.

Thanks for the pointer on the 7-Eleven in the arrivals hall!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.