HKIA Frequent Visitor Card

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

HKIA Frequent Visitor Card

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2015, 4:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
I was under the impression the e-channel registration (barcode) was good for the life of your passport?
Old Apr 24, 2015, 6:51 am

Programs: UA-1K, Hertz-Gold, Marriott-Gold, PC-Platinum, SPG
Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
I was under the impression the e-channel registration (barcode) was good for the life of your passport?
That is great! I can definitely get a new sticker that is good for another 5-year for my new passport then!
Old Apr 24, 2015, 7:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lax2010
That is great! I can definitely get a new sticker that is good for another 5-year for my new passport then!
If you replaced your old passport, I think you need to enter hong kong manually - ie fill out the paper work and see an immigration officer.

Once processed, you can make you way to the e-channel enrollment station and request a new barcode.

The new barcode will will be valid for the life of your new passport. If it's 10 years, you get 10 years*.

Note! If you arrive 'manually' and get a new barcode, you can leave via the e-channel booth on your exit from HK (ie, just because you were processed manually on entry doesn't mean you need to be processed manually on departure).

*'life of passport' I think means the life of the passport as accepted by HK for immigration purposes. I attempted to enter HK on a passport with just under 6 months left on it... the e-channel didn't like that and and officer had to come let me out and send me to an immigration booth.
Old Apr 24, 2015, 9:03 am

Programs: UA-1K, Hertz-Gold, Marriott-Gold, PC-Platinum, SPG
Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
If you replaced your old passport, I think you need to enter hong kong manually - ie fill out the paper work and see an immigration officer.

Once processed, you can make you way to the e-channel enrollment station and request a new barcode.

The new barcode will will be valid for the life of your new passport. If it's 10 years, you get 10 years*.

Note! If you arrive 'manually' and get a new barcode, you can leave via the e-channel booth on your exit from HK (ie, just because you were processed manually on entry doesn't mean you need to be processed manually on departure).

*'life of passport' I think means the life of the passport as accepted by HK for immigration purposes. I attempted to enter HK on a passport with just under 6 months left on it... the e-channel didn't like that and and officer had to come let me out and send me to an immigration booth.
^
Old Apr 27, 2015, 11:28 am

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
Originally Posted by jerrywu
Qualified FFP are from following carriers:
Air Canada, Air China, Air France, Air New Zealand, ANA, Asiana Airlines, British Airways, Cathay Pacific, Dragonair, China Airlines, China Southern, Delta, Ethiopian, Eva Airways, Finnair, Hainan Airlines, Hong Kong Airlines, Hong Kong Express, Japan Airlines, Jet Airways, Kingfisher, KLM, Korean Air, Lufthansa, Malaysia Airlines, Philippine Airlines, Qantas, Qatar Airways, Royal Brunei, Singapore Airlines, Swiss, Thai Airways, United, and Virgin Atlantic.

Bear in mind, as 889 mentioned, it also depends upon your passport if no visa required to visit HK.
No American airlines?
Old Apr 27, 2015, 4:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by jerrywu
Qualified FFP are from following carriers:
Air Canada, Air China, Air France, Air New Zealand, ANA, Asiana Airlines, British Airways, Cathay Pacific, Dragonair, China Airlines, China Southern, Delta, Ethiopian, Eva Airways, Finnair, Hainan Airlines, Hong Kong Airlines, Hong Kong Express, Japan Airlines, Jet Airways, Kingfisher, KLM, Korean Air, Lufthansa, Malaysia Airlines, Philippine Airlines, Qantas, Qatar Airways, Royal Brunei, Singapore Airlines, Swiss, Thai Airways, United, and Virgin Atlantic.

Bear in mind, as 889 mentioned, it also depends upon your passport if no visa required to visit HK.
Originally Posted by hiima
No American airlines?
Are Delta and United not American airlines?

If you are referring to AA they only started flying to HK last year.
Old Oct 6, 2015, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
So I should wait until I renew my passport to apply for e-channel? Hopefully ill still have elite status with TK when that happens. I meant to renew it before this trip but ran out of time
Old Oct 6, 2015, 8:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CDKing
So I should wait until I renew my passport to apply for e-channel? Hopefully ill still have elite status with TK when that happens. I meant to renew it before this trip but ran out of time
If you have less than three or six month's validity on the current passport (I forget what it is) you won't be able to apply for e-channel anyway. You'll need to wait for the new passport.

If your current passport has sufficient validity, and you'll be using it a couple of times before you get a new one, might as well apply.

If you apply under the old passport and get a new one, the e-channel on the old one expires anyway and you need to re-apply.
Old Oct 7, 2015, 12:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
error
Old Oct 7, 2015, 12:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

edited after post above edited
Old Oct 7, 2015, 1:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
I might as well say what I deleted. I somehow had it in my head that this thread was about the UK Border Control Frequent Traveler Program. I have that card too, but unlike Hong Kong it costs £50. So I wouldn't want to sign up if my passport had less than a year to go.

Thank you Hong Kong for keeping this a free service. Business friendly!
Old Oct 8, 2015, 6:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Only 14 months left on my passport so i need to renew soon so il just stick with the lines. They haven't been too bad
Old Oct 8, 2015, 9:56 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by stimpy
I might as well say what I deleted. I somehow had it in my head that this thread was about the UK Border Control Frequent Traveler Program. I have that card too, but unlike Hong Kong it costs £50. So I wouldn't want to sign up if my passport had less than a year to go.

Thank you Hong Kong for keeping this a free service. Business friendly!
Frequent visitor friendly, sure, but there are no priority lines for J/F class passengers...

(then again, it's not that either category necessarily signifies that one is traveling for business.)
Old Oct 9, 2015, 4:44 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold, IHG Gold, OZ*G, AA Gold, AS MVP
Originally Posted by BuildingMyBento
Frequent visitor friendly, sure, but there are no priority lines for J/F class passengers...

(then again, it's not that either category necessarily signifies that one is traveling for business.)
Exactly. I have the e-channel sticker in my passport and I'm just a semi-frequent tourist/shopper.

One thing I discovered, though:

When I enter/exit HK by air, I can scan the barcode or the identity page on my passport. The one time I crossed at Lo Wu it only let me through when I scanned the barcode. Is this always the case or did I bump into a picky machine last year?
Old Oct 9, 2015, 6:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I encountered picky machines at the ferry terminal inbound last week (machines that had not been picky in the past), but I got one to work in the end.

I left via Sz bay, and the machine there worked fine.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.