Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Hong Kong and Macau
Reload this Page >

Buying Luggage in Hong Kong

Old Jan 24, 2007, 5:57 am
Original Poster

I'm going to Hong Kong for the weekend next week, and have a luggage question. I can easily fit everything I need for the weekend in a small overnight bag, but am planning on doing some shopping

I haven't been able to find too much information about buying luggage in HK though. Specifically nice stuff--not knock of Louis Vuitton.

I just stocked up at the Tumi winter sale, but if there are good buys on luggage in HK, I'd be happy to buy something there, and bring my purchases back in it.

Does anyone have any tips on where to look in HK for luggage? Am I better off just bringing an extra bag with me?

Also, thanks to the reviews here, I'm staying at the Langham Place, which looks really nice. I've been reading through the forums here and Wikipedia, but if anyone has any must see, spots let me know!

Thanks,

Alex
Old Jan 24, 2007, 8:48 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, Miles & Smiles *G, PC Amb
Originally Posted by AlexS
I haven't been able to find too much information about buying luggage in HK though. Specifically nice stuff--not knock of Louis Vuitton.

I just stocked up at the Tumi winter sale, but if there are good buys on luggage in HK, I'd be happy to buy something there, and bring my purchases back in it.

Does anyone have any tips on where to look in HK for luggage? Am I better off just bringing an extra bag with me?

Also, thanks to the reviews here, I'm staying at the Langham Place, which looks really nice. I've been reading through the forums here and Wikipedia, but if anyone has any must see, spots let me know!

Thanks,

Alex
Samsonite and Rimova are both having sales at the moment in their own stores. Samsonite is in Langham Place mall (attached to your hotel) however i'm not sure about Rimova.
Old Jan 24, 2007, 10:03 am
Suspended

Programs: None any more
There's a Rimova store in Central on the Grand Floor of the Galleria, more or less at the junction of Ice House Street and Queen's Road Central.
Old Jan 24, 2007, 10:16 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Originally Posted by slickalick
Samsonite and Rimova are both having sales at the moment in their own stores. ....
Is this different from the sale that Samsonite seems to perpetually have? I've only passed by their store 2 or 3 times and it always has a big sale going on (just like US liuggage stores, always "on sale"). Pricing seemed about the same as on the web in the US, but maybe newer models and of course a chance to try the bag. But some of the knockoff brands seem to be built to the same design using the same components (maybe built on the same assembly line, just a different logo), and those are often 1/3 the Samsonite price (but without the warranty). Quality does vary, but at least some of the knockoffs are as well made as the original (sometimes better made).
Old Jan 24, 2007, 7:43 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, Miles & Smiles *G, PC Amb
Originally Posted by number_6
Is this different from the sale that Samsonite seems to perpetually have? I've only passed by their store 2 or 3 times and it always has a big sale going on (just like US liuggage stores, always "on sale"). Pricing seemed about the same as on the web in the US, but maybe newer models and of course a chance to try the bag. But some of the knockoff brands seem to be built to the same design using the same components (maybe built on the same assembly line, just a different logo), and those are often 1/3 the Samsonite price (but without the warranty). Quality does vary, but at least some of the knockoffs are as well made as the original (sometimes better made).
Both Samsonite and Rimova are having legitimate sales. In my experience Samsonite in HK doesn't have sales very often. Another avenue for buying good quality luggage is to visit Wing On Department Store on Des Voeux Road Central and go to their luggage department. They always have some excellent deals on luggage. I bought a 3pc. 'ANTLER' rolling bag set a few months ago for HK$840ish...down from about HK$1500ish.

As for knock off brands - the best i've seen is a copy of the Swiss Army brand...very high quality stuff (and not as cheap as you would expect being a knock-off)....
Old Jan 24, 2007, 10:14 pm

Originally Posted by christep
There's a Rimova store in Central on the Grand Floor of the Galleria, more or less at the junction of Ice House Street and Queen's Road Central.
Another Rimowa store is in the Arcade of the Holiday Inn in Tsim Sha Tsui with an entrance to Mody road. A big one in Tsim Sha Tsui East in the Arcade of the Tsim Sha Tsui Centre, also on Mody Road.

A link to a great map here:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?p=7088333

Last edited by HKtraveller; Jan 24, 2007 at 10:24 pm Reason: added map link
Old Jan 25, 2007, 1:48 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Originally Posted by slickalick
Both Samsonite and Rimova are having legitimate sales. In my experience Samsonite in HK doesn't have sales very often. ... As for knock off brands - the best i've seen is a copy of the Swiss Army brand...very high quality stuff (and not as cheap as you would expect being a knock-off)....
I've only passed by the luggage store near the IC (ex-Regent) 3 or 4 times, and each time it had a big sale; I thought it was a Samsonite store (certainly had lots of nice Samsonite), but not sure what it was. Did give the impression of having continuous sales, but I may have just happened on the right dates.

As for Swiss Army, they have a lot of very nice design elements and construction details. I finally broke down and got a Swiss Army (real) backpack for my laptop, and it is *very* well made and cleverly designed. But easy to knockoff. Bought in the US, not in HKG (doubt it would be cheaper in HKG, except for the knockoffs). I'm no fan of counterfeits, and generally avoid them, but the quality of some is astonishing (e.g. many Gucci counterfeits are better made than the original, esp. for low-end Gucci).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.