Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Macau or Guangdong?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2006, 1:29 pm
Original Poster

Macau or Guangdong?

Hi. I will be in Guiyang and am debating whether or not I should go to Macau or Guangdong on my way to Hong Kong. Does anyone have any suggestions? Or, since I'll have approximately 2 days in Hong Kong, is that enough time or should I scratch my side trip to Macau/Guangdong and make it 3 days in Hong Kong?
Old Jun 24, 2006, 1:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Premier
The trip to Macau is a fun journey by ferry or hydrofoil and it has an interesting Portuguese flavor to it. Optimal would be 7 days in HK and 1 full day and night in Macau....given that you only have 3 days, I would spend all 3 in HK..
Old Jun 24, 2006, 1:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Premier
oh...and I've never been to Guangdong so I can't help you there...
Old Jun 24, 2006, 4:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Originally Posted by RatherBeSailing
oh...and I've never been to Guangdong so I can't help you there...
You aren't missing much. I'd take Macau over Guangdong in an instant. Food, atmosphere, egg tarts.
Old Jul 3, 2006, 4:02 pm

And I would say "you aren't missing much" if you don't go to Macau!

If it were me, I would for sure spend all 3 days in HK. Use one of the days to take a ferry trip to an outlying island or the bus trip around Victoria island or to a fishing village or somewhere in the New Territories, to have a different experience. Spend the other 2 days doing all the main tourist attractions.

There is plenty to do in HK itself. I would only consider Macau after about 10-12 days in HK itself.
Old Jul 3, 2006, 4:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Unless I've got it wrong, Guandong is a province and Guangzhou is the major city in Guandong. Do you mean Guangzhou? I happen to like Guangzhou -- some interesting old sites, a nice park and museum, tons of good, inexpensive restaurants, and a real feel of pre-"economic miracle" China. It's also the home of my in-laws so, perhaps, I'm predisposed to it.

Macau is, I think, more interesting to a first time tourist, capturing some of the feel of the Portugese colony. It also offers some rather unique Portugese/Chinese dishes.

However, with only 3 days to spend, I'd probably devote all of them to Hong Kong -- lots to see and do there. Perhaps, as a compromise, you can catch an early hydrofoil to Macau (about an hour), spend half-a-day there, and then return to Hong Kong.
Old Jul 3, 2006, 9:25 pm

Programs: UA 2MM 1k, Bonvoy Plat, Hyatt Globalist
If you like Portuguese colonial buildings, it's worth it to spend a day in Macau. The historic town center is quite interesting, with many well preserved historic buildings (something HK never focused on until too late). Aside from the colonial atmosphere, the food is quite different from what you'd find in Hong Kong too (try one of the Macanese restaurants, particularly African Chicken).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.