FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hong Kong and Macau (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hong-kong-macau-436/)
-   -   Pirated DVDs in Hong Kong? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hong-kong-macau/394604-pirated-dvds-hong-kong.html)

bostonbali Jan 28, 2005 6:50 pm

Pirated DVDs in Hong Kong?

Does anybody know where I can find shops that sell bootleg DVDs in Hong Kong? I bought some in Bali the last time I was there ($1/each), and would like to do the same during my upcoming trip to HKG.
Thanks!

hugochan Jan 28, 2005 11:06 pm

Originally Posted by bostonbali
Does anybody know where I can find shops that sell bootleg DVDs in Hong Kong? I bought some in Bali the last time I was there ($1/each), and would like to do the same during my upcoming trip to HKG.
Thanks!

Right now, they don't *really* sell bootleg DVDs anymore, as it is strictly prohibited by HK Law. It is rather hard to find, and you risk being arrested by HK Custom Officers for even trying to buy the materials.

But, there is a twist to it. They are selling "Official China Release" movies right now. They are official release by Chinese companies in mainland China and they are cheap. There are several stores in Causeway Bay, one of them is just behind Sogo Department Store, and another one on the back street of Mitsukoshi department store. If you walk along the street right behind Sogo towards Central, you will find one more to your left.

One more comment: According to my friend, who is a lawyer in HK, those Official China Release DVDs are legal to buy/ sell freely, as they are actual releases from Chinese companies. If you look at them, they even have laser seals.

kjl Jan 28, 2005 11:20 pm

Originally Posted by bostonbali
Thanks!

I did not see any bootleg DVDs in HK when I was there last November. Across the Chinese border is a different story. However, you may be risk of them being confiscated if a search is conducted.

Kettering Northants QC Feb 18, 2005 7:45 am

Pirate DVD's

Last May at the Temple St Night Market there was a stall selling what I guess were pirated DVD's. (Latest cinema releases for a couple of pounds a piece) :D

holmedown Feb 18, 2005 12:22 pm

Originally Posted by Kettering Northants QC
Last May at the Temple St Night Market there was a stall selling what I guess were pirated DVD's. (Latest cinema releases for a couple of pounds a piece) :D

And was still there last week ... HK$5 each or 5 for HK$20

bostonbali Feb 19, 2005 11:19 am

Great - I'll be on the lookout for this stall, I'll report back in mid-March after my trip!

rkkwan Feb 19, 2005 4:52 pm

Just want to say that pirated DVDs are usually not good deals. If you're buying movies that are already out on DVDs/VCDs, then the pirated copies are usually just the VCD version cramped onto a DVD. Despite what it says on the box or even on the disc's own menu, you don't get 5.1 surround sound, multi-language, subtitles on/off. In fact, some discs just put either just the English or Cantonese soundtrack on the DVD, making them even worse than the VCD (which usually put one language on L, another on R). AND the video quality is basically the VCD version, which is actually slightly worse than VHS.

And then, you don't really know if the disc is in PAL or NTSC. If you have a multi-region multi-system DVD player at home, fine. If not, you take a chance.

For about the same price, you can just buy the official VCDs at a real store. That's the reason why Hong Kong people don't even care about these pirated DVDs anymore.

But if you're looking for discs from brand new theatrical releases, then that's a different matter.

mcg1000 Dec 8, 2006 10:07 am

Genuine DVDs?

Any good places to buy genuine DVDs? Time Out lists HMV. Does it have a DVD section as well as CDs?

silverkris168 Dec 8, 2006 5:07 pm

Originally Posted by mcg1000 (Post 6815124)
Any good places to buy genuine DVDs? Time Out lists HMV. Does it have a DVD section as well as CDs?

Yes, HMV does have a DVD section, it's pretty extensive. I like to go there for the titles I can't get in the US, such as Hong Kong, Taiwan, Japanese or Korean flicks.

I too have run into the problem of buying disks that aren't configured for North America region too often - it is important to double check this before you buy, otherwise, you'll bring it home and can't run it!

Captain Schmidt Dec 11, 2006 2:15 am

Originally Posted by silverkris168 (Post 6817401)
Yes, HMV does have a DVD section, it's pretty extensive. I like to go there for the titles I can't get in the US, such as Hong Kong, Taiwan, Japanese or Korean flicks.

I too have run into the problem of buying disks that aren't configured for North America region too often - it is important to double check this before you buy, otherwise, you'll bring it home and can't run it!

Have you tried converting your DVD player to multi-region? I bought an LG one in HK last year which was coded for HK only. Half an hour on the web and I had the instructions on how to reprogramme it and hey-presto it now plays all regions.

Captain Schmidt Dec 11, 2006 2:21 am

Originally Posted by bostonbali (Post 3649725)
Thanks!

:td: :td: :td:

I wonder what would happen if someone posted a request for the best places to score illicit drugs or perhaps find a cheap hooker? Like fake DVDs these two "innocent" pastimes are controlled by organised crime and ultimately someone pays the price.

bostonbali Dec 11, 2006 12:12 pm

Originally Posted by Captain Schmidt (Post 6827198)

I wonder what would happen if someone posted a request for the best places to score illicit drugs or perhaps find a cheap hooker? Like fake DVDs these two "innocent" pastimes are controlled by organised crime and ultimately someone pays the price.

Can somebody tell me the best places to score illicit drugs or perhaps a cheap hooker? :D

For the record, no fake DVDs were purchased on my trip to HKG two years ago. I did not see them sold as openly as I did in Bali (or NYC's chinatown, for that matter).

mbragen Dec 11, 2006 7:18 pm

Originally Posted by bostonbali (Post 6829622)
Can somebody tell me the best places to score illicit drugs or perhaps a cheap hooker? :D

For the record, no fake DVDs were purchased on my trip to HKG two years ago. I did not see them sold as openly as I did in Bali (or NYC's chinatown, for that matter).

Uh, I'd say "Amsterdam" answers both of your questions, although the issue of "illicit" is rather flexible there. Lang zaal ze leven! Hoera!

mcg1000 Dec 11, 2006 11:55 pm

Originally Posted by Captain Schmidt (Post 6827198)

I at least was asking about the genuine article!

HIDDY Dec 13, 2006 2:41 am

So the chances are the £15 Rolex watch I bought isn't the real thing? :(