Wiki Posts
Search

cell phones

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2004, 7:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: Platinum Royal Ambassador,GC Elite,HH Gold,DC Gold,*A Gold
cell phones

I will be travelling to HK in Mid Jan and I am looking for a new mobile any suggestions for a dealer in HK, if possible with a website to get an idea of prices, would need to be just a handset only no contract.

Dino
Old Dec 29, 2004, 9:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

www.smartone.com.hk
Old Jan 6, 2005, 6:25 am

Programs: AMEX Plat, UA Premier Exec, CX Gold, Diamond GP, Hilton Gold, RC Gold
Mong Kok

I would head to a mall called Sincere in Mong Kok to look for a phone.

I'd recommend the following depending on your needs.

O2 Mini XDA HKD$5k
Motorola RAZR V3 HKD$4k
Nokia 3-, 6- series HKD$2-3k

Check it out....
Old Jan 7, 2005, 12:35 am
GK

Programs: reformed ex basic Member
You won't be able to walk very far without coming across a cellphone shop. there are network operator stores, independent retailers (cash is good for discounts), chain retailers like Fortress and then the manufacturers have stores themselves (well in know Sony Ericsson does).

When you activate your new phone, you may need some help getting the language reset from Chinese to your chosen tounge (depends on phone andwhere you buy it of course).
Old Jan 15, 2005, 7:47 am

Programs: UA, bmi, Leaders Club
Originally Posted by GK
You won't be able to walk very far without coming across a cellphone shop. there are network operator stores, independent retailers (cash is good for discounts), chain retailers like Fortress and then the manufacturers have stores themselves (well in know Sony Ericsson does).

When you activate your new phone, you may need some help getting the language reset from Chinese to your chosen tounge (depends on phone andwhere you buy it of course).
Nokia, Samsung and Motorola all have retail stores in Causeway Bay.

Motorola: Shop B, G/F, Vancouver Mansion, 6 Kingston St, Causeway Bay

Nokia: Shop 3 - 4. G/F., Cameron Commercial Centre, 458-468 Hennessy Rd., Causeway Bay

Samsung: Shop 827, 8/F., Times Square, Causeway Bay, Hong Kong
Old Jan 17, 2005, 4:50 am

Programs: SQ TPP28, CX DM, DL P, GA CB, WOH LGLOB, HH D, MB G, Hertz P
Originally Posted by ktp28
I would head to a mall called Sincere in Mong Kok to look for a phone.
If one is not good at bargaining, I would rather suggest that he/she visit one of the big stores (Fortress, Broadway, Gome, etc.) since they offer very competitive prices.
Old Jan 31, 2005, 10:50 am

Programs: UA 1P, HH Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by StarG
If one is not good at bargaining, I would rather suggest that he/she visit one of the big stores (Fortress, Broadway, Gome, etc.) since they offer very competitive prices.

Citicall is another place to consider offering competitive prices...

Just head over to Mongkok and you'll hit tons of places on Sai Yeung Choi St. Literally shops upon shops on the same block.
Old Feb 2, 2005, 10:22 pm

One thing to remember is that you have to make sure whether those cell phones are official Hong Kong release and have warranty. Some cheaper priced phones are imported from anther country, and not HK official release. They maybe the same model and have the same functions, but no factory warranty will be honored usually. The shop that sells the phone to you maybe willing to cover the phone for a period of time by their own technicians.
Old Feb 3, 2005, 2:33 am

Programs: UA 1P, HH Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by hugochan
One thing to remember is that you have to make sure whether those cell phones are official Hong Kong release and have warranty. Some cheaper priced phones are imported from anther country, and not HK official release. They maybe the same model and have the same functions, but no factory warranty will be honored usually. The shop that sells the phone to you maybe willing to cover the phone for a period of time by their own technicians.

Do these phones with the official HK warranties (Hong For) any good outside HK? I know with other electronics, like Sony PDAs, Sony will only warranty them within HK. Is this the case for mobiles also? If the warranty do not cover overseas, are there any other benefits to getting the official ones instead of the grey market (water variety) ones? Assuming that I will not be going back to HK anytime soon to get the repair done.
Old Feb 3, 2005, 7:01 am

Programs: Skyteam Elite, Starwood Gold, Kmart ShopYourWay Rewards
Is there a way of using my US phone or phone number or do I have to buy a new phone in HK for a 2-week stay? Is it cheaper to use a phone card to call to the US from HK/China or buy a cell phone?
thanks
Old Feb 3, 2005, 5:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
bursa - If you have a tri-band phone (including GSM 900 and 1800), then you can theoretically use your phone in Hong Kong. If you have an "unlocked" phone, then you can buy a prepaid cellular card in Hong Kong from any of the carriers there. A starter kit will cost about US$10, with about 300 local minutes (and fewer if you call internationally). You will have a local HK phone number.

If your GSM phone is not unlocked, then you must use your US carrier's international roaming service. I don't know about the rate for AT&T/Cingular, but if you have T-Mobile, then it's US$1.49 a minute, incoming and outgoing, regardless where you're calling - HK or the US. But this way, you'll still be using your US number. So, your boss or your wife won't even know you're out of the country.
Old Feb 3, 2005, 8:51 pm

Programs: Skyteam Elite, Starwood Gold, Kmart ShopYourWay Rewards
Originally Posted by rkkwan
I don't know about the rate for AT&T/Cingular, but if you have T-Mobile, then it's US$1.49 a minute, incoming and outgoing, regardless where you're calling - HK or the US. But this way, you'll still be using your US number. So, your boss or your wife won't even know you're out of the country.
haha funny. thanks
Old Feb 5, 2005, 11:10 pm

Programs: EY Plat, IHG Plat Amb
This subject has been discussed here before I think, but I cannot find it.

There is a dedicated mobile phone mall with numerous shops in Mongkok. Exit D2 from the MTR station and then straight ahead past the DVD shops. It is then the next block. The Sincere is no longer there and thus no longer a landmark.

This place sells phones with local warranty or shop warranty. If you feel safe with that go for it. They have some amazing deals which make it worth the risk.
This place is a true market and you can shop prices till you drop.

I paid HKD 1300 for a SonyE T630 last week. Great phone.

For people seeking global warranty; This is difficult to get from most shops if you read the small print.
Old Feb 6, 2005, 9:52 pm

Originally Posted by bobes
Do these phones with the official HK warranties (Hong For) any good outside HK? I know with other electronics, like Sony PDAs, Sony will only warranty them within HK. Is this the case for mobiles also? If the warranty do not cover overseas, are there any other benefits to getting the official ones instead of the grey market (water variety) ones? Assuming that I will not be going back to HK anytime soon to get the repair done.

Well, it varies from cell phone brands, and you have to ask before buying them. So, I suggest you go to the official store, ask the question and leave. Then, you can see the price difference between grey market or warranty goods. Sometimes, grey market products might not be the cheapest on the market, but they generally have a good steel. So, the point is really to comaprison shop, and see whether the price difference is large enough. If they only differ by very few dollars, then I'll gladly buy the ones with warranties, even though there is no global warranty. I said that base on the fact that some grey markets goods may have some defects, although most of them are perfectly fine. Again, it depends on how you value your risk. Unless you want your menu to be displayed in Chinese Characters . Then, you have to get the warranty ones for sure.
Old Feb 6, 2005, 9:55 pm

Originally Posted by bursa
Is there a way of using my US phone or phone number or do I have to buy a new phone in HK for a 2-week stay? Is it cheaper to use a phone card to call to the US from HK/China or buy a cell phone?
thanks
It will be A LOT cheaper to buy prepaid phone cards than by using your cell phone to make calls to the US. The cards can be bought in a lot of places, like 7-Eleven (A Convenient store that is just everywhere) or OK (Another Convenient store that can be found in MTR stations).

Last edited by hugochan; Feb 6, 2005 at 9:58 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.