Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Hong Kong and Macau
Reload this Page >

Hong Kong Tailor?

Hong Kong Tailor?

Old Aug 30, 2001, 2:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: BD / BA / AF
Hong Kong Tailor?

I'm travelling to Hong Kong for the first time at the end of the month, and would like to get some suits made while I'm out there. Does anyone have recommendations of tailors to visit?

I'm arriving on a Friday night, flying out at 8am on Monday morning. Will this be enough time to get the suits made?

Thanks in advance.
Old Dec 20, 2001, 11:46 pm

This is too late, but in case you're going back sometime in the future.

From what I've heard, HK's tailors are not much cheaper than their Western colleagues. Bangkok or one of the major mainland Chinese cities are probably better bets in finding tailors experienced with Western styles at a bargain. The gentleman sitting next to me on my flight back from HK last year was coming back from a tailored shirt shopping spree in Bangkok.

If you want to stay in HK, try the Tourism Board's shop list at http://www.discoverhongkong.com/eng/...lot_cust.jhtml and stick with the stores with the Quality Tourism Service seals. I'm no expert since I've only gone to a tailor there once. I think I was misled by the store clerk who said they only do one fitting instead of two nowadays. It was a Kwun Kee Tailor in Mongkok.

Old Jan 5, 2002, 4:41 am

Good tailors in HK are closely-held, like a good stockbroker. Two fittings and US$22 for a shirt, $180 for a suit is a bargain, especially when they fit like nothing you'd ever get off the rack.

The value of custom-tailored clothing in Asia is

1. Fit
2. Fit
3. Convenience - They come to your office, hotel, home, etc. Two, three, or four times, if necessary. One never needs to go shopping.
4. Price vs. Tailored in the West

If you're coming to HK, e-mail me and I'll set you up with mine.

------------------
UA 1K switching to AA/CX/Asia Miles so I can use them out here in Asia!
Old Jul 10, 2003, 12:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Landry's President's Club, Marriott Silver, Awesomeness EXPLT
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by shayes:
Good tailors in HK are closely-held, like a good stockbroker. Two fittings and US$22 for a shirt, $180 for a suit is a bargain, especially when they fit like nothing you'd ever get off the rack.

The value of custom-tailored clothing in Asia is

1. Fit
2. Fit
3. Convenience - They come to your office, hotel, home, etc. Two, three, or four times, if necessary. One never needs to go shopping.
4. Price vs. Tailored in the West

If you're coming to HK, e-mail me and I'll set you up with mine.

</font>
Wanted to bump this thread because im going to be in hkg in aug and was curious about a good tailor?
-howie
ps.Shayes can you drop me a email about your tailor cant seem to email you.

Old Jul 10, 2003, 3:03 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by stockmanjr:

Wanted to bump this thread because im going to be in hkg in aug and was curious about a good tailor?
-howie
ps.Shayes can you drop me a email about your tailor cant seem to email you.

</font>
http://www.samtani.com/ I also had a couple of silk shirts made from Asha Tailors (to please a relative of mine who are neighbours to the owner's family) You can bargain with Asha
Old Jul 10, 2003, 3:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free

I know I am going to get my head served to me in a platter, but I actually prefer (on a value for money basis) the high end HK tailors. A $60 USD custom shirt for everyday from Ascot Chang beats anything off the rack from my usual providers, Faconnable, Paul Stuart, and Pink, which will set you back upwards of $80 USD.

As for suits, you can't go wrong with A Man Hing Cheong. Yes, it will cost you $700 USD, but beats the pants off (no pun intended) anything off the rack from Paul Stuart, Zegna, and quality Brooks Brothers.

I am tired of these "discount" outfits that will sell you a $200 suit that will fall apart the third time you wear it, or discolor the first time you send it to the cleaners.

I see no problem dropping 80 bucks on a shirt if it is going to last me 5 years of wearing it every two weeks.
Old Jul 10, 2003, 5:13 am

This is timely, as I was about to report on recent shirt expeditions.

I've used Ash Samtani for more than 15 years, both in their HK shop and on their twice-yearly visits to Boston. While mostly pleased, I do believe their quality has slipped a bit in recent years.

Last winter I went to David's for some shirts. David's is definitely high-end and specialize in shirts; they've got one shop in the Mandarin and another on Kimberley Rd in Kowloon. The shirts at David's cost an average of $100 each, compared to about $65 each at Ash Samtani.

After 6 months, I find that David's shirts are superior. The fit is finer (not surprising, as David's insisted on two very careful fittings; AS needed only 1), the features are better (such as the pleat in the back), and the button stitching is more secure. The Ash Samtani shirts are still very good, but David's are clearly better. Is it worth $25-30 more per shirt? That will vary for each individual.
Old Jul 10, 2003, 6:47 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Does Man Hing Cheong have access to 15milmil15 fabrics? Or can I bring my own Zegna fabric and have it made into a suit?
Old Jul 10, 2003, 6:54 am
rjh

Programs: Kam Leng; Two Dragons GH
Understanding that there's a wide range of what people like, if you buy Zegna Sartorial suits off the rack, look at W.W. Chan in Burlington House on Nathan Road.

For shirts, consider Ascot Chang. (I like the shop in Prince's Building, HK side.) Not necessarily cheap.
Rich
Old Jul 10, 2003, 7:05 am
rjh

Programs: Kam Leng; Two Dragons GH
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by number_6:
Does Man Hing Cheong have access to 15milmil15 fabrics? Or can I bring my own Zegna fabric and have it made into a suit?</font>
High end HK tailors have access to the range of Zegna fabrics, but only in the Asia "line," which runs to blues. They can get fabrics in the European and North American lines, but it takes 6 weeks, I believe. W W Chan definitely has all the (Asian) Zegna line.

If you want to bring your own, I think they need 3 metres for a suit. Some feel that 15 milmil tends to pill. Do you have any suits in Trofeo? It's quite similar and wears better, day to day.
Rich
Old Jul 10, 2003, 11:24 am
Suspended

Programs: Loyal to Myself
I have been a W.W. Chan customer for a number of years, and find their quality/price ratio to be highly, highly satisfactory.
Old Jul 12, 2003, 2:27 am

All these tailors will cut a suit from whatever fabrc you want them to. Many folks I know, have taken fabrics from Italy, India, UK to HKG (and BKK) for tailoring.
Old Jul 15, 2003, 2:46 pm

Location: Homosassa, FL & Ringwood, NJ -UA-G(Lifetime); SPG-Plat (Lifetime)
William Cheng & Son for shirts. About $35 US.
Located at 38 Hankow Road 6th Floor (About a block from the Hyatt in Kowloon. The shirts are well made and I can't seem to wear them out.
They have about the largest selections of bolts of fabric to choose form, as opposed to many HKG tailors who just have swatches.
Old Aug 5, 2003, 9:30 pm

Programs: UA General Member
OK, not directly on topic, but related. I happen to spend the majority of my time in Asia in the city across the border from Hong Kong - Shenzhen.

Can I get a better deal on tailor-made clothing there without sacrificing quality? If yes, can anyone recommend a tailor they like?

Thanks in advance.
Old Aug 6, 2003, 9:41 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by winkydink:
OK, not directly on topic, but related. I happen to spend the majority of my time in Asia in the city across the border from Hong Kong - Shenzhen.

Can I get a better deal on tailor-made clothing there without sacrificing quality? If yes, can anyone recommend a tailor they like?

Thanks in advance.
</font>
If you are a frequent visitor to that area, do ask a local as they might direct you to someone who is just as good, without tourist trappings

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.