Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Hong Kong and Macau
Reload this Page >

Hong Kong Tailor?

Hong Kong Tailor?

Old Feb 3, 2009, 8:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Originally Posted by gougoul
For shirts I had loads of recommendations for Ascott Chang.
So I guess I'll give it a try. Apparently they're one of the few doing bespoke (as compared to MtM) and have a great choice of fabrics.
They also don't subcontract shirtmaking, unlike many other tailors.
Good luck. Let us know how they turn out after a few washes. Maybe I need to be pickier about the fabric and price point of the finish to get something that works.

What torqued me most about them is that when I showed up with a couple of shirts that had shrunk beyond usability, or the colors had run, they said it was "normal" and nothing they could do about it. Life's too short to deal with such nonsense.
Old Feb 3, 2009, 8:57 am

Originally Posted by Pickles
What torqued me most about them is that when I showed up with a couple of shirts that had shrunk beyond usability, or the colors had run, they said it was "normal" and nothing they could do about it. Life's too short to deal with such nonsense.
Sounds like the tailors have their own web forums to come up with excuses that they can all use.

A few years ago, I brought back I some French piqu cotton shirts to David Lee (David's Shirts), as the shirts had shrunk to a size smaller than when I'd gotten them a year before.

"The shirts didn't shrink," sez David, "it's just that the fabric became tighter, which is normal."

Who knew that there was a difference between fabric shrinking [bad] and fabric getting tighter [good, normal]?
Old Mar 10, 2010, 8:46 am

Programs: Starwood, United, AAdvantage, Delta
Pacific Custom Tailors

I had some shirts and dress trousers made at this shop, and I would like to echo that the work was very good. Also, the items have worn quite well. They are not the absolute cheapest, but one of the better quality places I have visited amongst many Asian tailors.
Old Mar 16, 2010, 12:57 am

Programs: UA, AA, WN
Among William Cheng, Pacific Custom Tailors, Hemrajani Brothers (mytailor.com) and Sam's Tailor, which would you all rank as the best? I'm going to HK next month and will be looking to buy another suit.
Old Mar 16, 2010, 9:29 am

Programs: AA 3MMF EXP, UA 1MMF
Originally Posted by CousinNick
Among William Cheng, Pacific Custom Tailors, Hemrajani Brothers (mytailor.com) and Sam's Tailor, which would you all rank as the best? I'm going to HK next month and will be looking to buy another suit.
Do not go to Sam's. Worst tailor in Hong Kong. I literally had to throw my suits in the trash because they were so poorly made, didn't fit, and Sam would not stand behind them. All my shirts smelled from cigarette smoke. I don't know the other 3, but I have had great experiences with Tai Pan Tailor. Janzten Tailor is good too.
Old Mar 16, 2010, 10:04 am

Programs: SPG Platinum, AA 2.0 MM, DL Plat, Hertz Plat, LY Gold
Originally Posted by lance1713
Do not go to Sam's. Worst tailor in Hong Kong. I literally had to throw my suits in the trash because they were so poorly made, didn't fit, and Sam would not stand behind them. All my shirts smelled from cigarette smoke. I don't know the other 3, but I have had great experiences with Tai Pan Tailor. Janzten Tailor is good too.
I'll second your claim. Sam's was awful. The shirts that I made did not fit and he was extremely arrogant and rude. I now use New Hung Cheng Co. in the Mirador Mansion on Nathan Rd. and have been very happy with what they've made for me
Old Mar 16, 2010, 10:08 am

Programs: AA 3MMF EXP, UA 1MMF
Oh yes, he was certainly arrogant and rude with me too, so after 4 fittings I gave up and threw the suit away.
Old Mar 16, 2010, 2:52 pm

Programs: SPG GL, AA GL
Originally Posted by Alexzander
I had some shirts and dress trousers made at this shop, and I would like to echo that the work was very good. Also, the items have worn quite well. They are not the absolute cheapest, but one of the better quality places I have visited amongst many Asian tailors.
Agreed. Went there twice in the past decade. The shirts are still in good condition (machine wash too). I referred lots of my friends there. They're also very professional.

http://www.pacificplace.com.hk/en/ma...m-tailors.html
Old Mar 17, 2010, 8:02 am

Programs: BA GfL
I never trusted "tailors" that display in their shop pictures of former US presidents, European prime ministers or Kenny Rogers.
Old Mar 24, 2010, 1:25 pm

Programs: UA Gold, OZ silver,
I will throw in a vote for Janzten Tailor (at Central red line exit). I just had a fitted shirt made for $320 HKD and it was ready the next day. Fit great, fabric felt good and all the seams and button stitching looks good. I guess a few washings and wearings will be another test.
Old Mar 24, 2010, 10:00 pm
Suspended

Programs: None any more
My understanding from previous colleagues is that Janzten's tailoring is (or at least can be specified to be) kosher, which will be useful for some readers.

(It's to do with the glue used to attach the interlinings I believe)
Old Mar 25, 2010, 9:18 am

Programs: AC*E SPG*G CO*Silver Hyatt*Plat
Originally Posted by CousinNick
I had a number of suits & shirts made at Pacific Custom Tailors and have been extremely satisfied. Very good quality & quick turnaround!
Old Mar 25, 2010, 9:40 am

Programs: LH, AB, SPG, CC, Sixt, EC
I have been e-rave for shirts and a friend for a tuxedo, it has been more than excellent. Perfect service, price for shirts is the same as everywhere else but suits/tuxedo are a little more expensive.

Express customs tailors, actually a recommendation of Flyertalkers has also been "good". The prices were excellent if you know how to bargain. The service can certainly be improved. Know what you want, be specific and be ready to do at least three trips there. Choosing, 1st fitting, 2nd fitting/pick up.
I did a couple of shirts there which were great, a suit and a blazer with two pants.
The first quote is usually ridiculous but they go down a lot if you know what to ask for.
Old Mar 29, 2010, 5:46 pm

Programs: Virgin FC, Qantas, Golden Circle, Sofitel, Hyatt, Starwood, Nectar, and my Tesco Club Card
Originally Posted by damaxer91
I'll second your claim. Sam's was awful. The shirts that I made did not fit and he was extremely arrogant and rude. I now use New Hung Cheng Co. in the Mirador Mansion on Nathan Rd. and have been very happy with what they've made for me
Another for Sam's from me. Some of their tailors are OK (i'd previously had good shirts), but last time the tailor was awful. Formal tailor made shirts that resemble something a darts player would wear, they look like they were made for someone twice my size - Cuffs and Collars fit but thats it. - My off the peg cheapy shirts n(30) from Jermyn street fit so much better. The suit I had was also awful, looked like a sack, and felt no better.

I had some excellent shirts from James Chen at the Mandarin Oriental, and suit, that wasn't cheap, but is still going strong 10 years on.
Old Apr 26, 2010, 1:13 am

I got 2 suit from Dragoon Francais Tailor In Jordon(Kowloon side). It is a small shop but quality is good. I order shirts and suit there. The shop owner is Mr. Chan. As i know, some of the "Star" in Hong Kong also wear the suit made by him.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.