Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Hong Kong and Macau
Reload this Page >

Hong Kong Tailor?

Hong Kong Tailor?

Old Mar 18, 2007, 10:11 am
rjh

Programs: Kam Leng; Two Dragons GH
Originally Posted by broadwayboy
We're thinking of staying in HKG for no more than 4 nights -- would that be too short to do the 2nd visit to the tailor for a suit? Typically, when do they ask you to return for a fitting after first visit?
That's plenty of time, just let the tailor know your time constraints at the beginning. The first fitting is often the next day, but could be the same day, if you order first thing in the morning.

It helps to contact the tailor first, perhaps setting up an appointment, as well as have an idea of the style and fabric you'll want. The tailor will show you a style book as well as work for others in various states of completion, so you can get an idea of the process.

You can often go to department stores and look at fabric samples to get an idea of what's available. HK tailors can get just about any fabric you've seen, but it may take a day or so, which would possibly cause a schedule problem in your case. I generally get something that's on hand.

Just as a point of departure, you can go to someplace like Nordstrom or Barney's and look at their high end, off the rack suits, as well as fabric books. Nordstrom, for instance, has (or used to have) the Zegna Sartorial line. It's good to get an idea of retail prices, too. High end HK tailors are cheap compared to London, say, but not hugely different than off the rack Zegna. (Well, some US$100s and tax and you get a suit that fits you well, if you take the time to get the appropriate fittings.)

If you get Zegna fabric, some frequent travelers get Traveller fabric, which is a bit stiffer and tends to come out of a suitcase looking ok. On the other hand, since most places above the level of Mom's Guesthouse have pressing services, you may as well get something like Trofeo, which feels a lot better.
Old Mar 26, 2007, 4:46 am

Programs: AA EXP, Dia HH
I second Pacific Custom Tailors. Great location in the Pacific Place mall and the service was top notch. 2 fittings in 2 1/2 days made for nice suits. Great selection of fabrics and some nice deals. Got 2 suits, 3 shirts and 2 ties for 8250 HKD. If staying at the Conrad or Marriot, can't be beat on location and price for the suit.
Old Mar 27, 2007, 9:51 pm

hi everyone, this is my first post so please be receptive =(
i was excited to discover that HK/asia was such a shopping paradise because I am a skinny chinese boy who has extreme difficulty finding fitted clothes in America (even small at most retail stores are too large).
I too am interested in a quality tailor to visit.
I will be there for a few month so time is not an issue.
I have read all the posts and have come across names that i recognize from travel books that i have read.
I do have a few issues that I would like anyone out there to help me answer (one or all)
1) I am a young student going into the workplace soon, so I dont have much experience with dress clothes. I'd like to consider myself pretty fashion forward so I know how i want my clothes to fit and in which style. But the material is really what i dont know much about. So what are some popular types of materials and some characteristics of them?
2) I dont visit many tailors in america, especially ones who make bespoke clothing (i usually get alterations) so what is the ettiquette? are walk-ins the norm or appointments?
3) I know this is actually a dumb question but how fashion-aware are these tailors? I ask because i like to wear my clothes very slim and i'd feel awkward to explain that to them and they give me a funny look.
4) Lastly i know its a terrible habit but i am verrrrrrrrrry picky with my clothes and usually regret clothes purchase after the fact (i hope bespoke tailoring can solve this) so when you list some tailors can you not only keep in mind that quality (i am picky) is utmost but cost is also pretty close behind. This is because i dont want to drop like 800USD on a suit and not wear it again.
My price ranges are about (sorry i dont know the conversion rate, i think its about 8HKD to 1USD)
Dress shirts : ~70 - 90 USD
Suits: ~250-400 USD
Ties: ~40-60 USD
Of course anything lower than these ranges are welcome (as i'd like to stockpile while in HK) but i wont sacrifice quality for price

Sorry this is so long and i'm so demanding but keeping all this in mind can you guys recommend some reputable quality tailors (oo yeah who also speak english) Thanks in advanced!!
Old Mar 28, 2007, 9:46 am

linesforeyes --

Welcome to FlyerTalk!

The questions you ask are excellent ones. The biggest problem that I'd foresee is finding a balance between your budget and the bespoke clothing that you're looking for. You could certainly get excellent fabrics -- ones that both look great and that stand up to regular use -- and wonderfully-fitting clothing from the upper-end tailors in HK, but not for the price range that you list. If possible, you might consider buying fewer clothes but higher quality -- but ultimately it's your decision how to make the trade-offs.

All that said, an especially knowledgeable source of information about bespoke clothes is the Ask Andy Forum. If you haven't visited there yet, I'd strongly recommend it.
Old Mar 28, 2007, 6:43 pm

i dont necessarily need the highest quality material or craftmanship, i'm still a college student. but if you could point to places somewhere in between mid ranged and high end.
Old Mar 28, 2007, 10:06 pm

Location: Homosassa, FL & Ringwood, NJ -UA-G(Lifetime); SPG-Plat (Lifetime)
For Custon Shirts, William Cheng & Sons, 38 Hankow Rd, 8/F.

I always visit and was there about a month ago. Excellent selection of material on full bolts (not just swatches, like most storefronts). They will make a shirt however you want it (tight neck, or waist, loose fit etc.) Just be sure that they understand your requirements during the measurement process.

I paid about 250 hkd EACH. I find it impossible to wear out these shirts
Old Mar 29, 2007, 12:18 pm

Programs: UA Global Services 3MM, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist
As an update, I wound up buying 2 suits from Dyon Chan of TAKLY Custom Shirts (yes, they do suits, too) in the Galleria, 2nd Floor. Mr. Chan came to my hotel when I arrived (around noon) and by 6:30 he had one suit cut out and did a fitting. I had to leave the next morning, so I didnt have the benefit of additional fittings. I got the suits about 10 days later via USPS and they were almost perfect! I had to have some slight alterations done here at home (would have been unnecessary had I been in Hong Kong longer). Mr. Chan certainly made my 1 day trip to Hong Kong even more worthwhile! Also, he is a very pleasant and charming man, and his wife works in the shop with him.

The suits were not cheap, coming out to about 21,000 HKD, but the material was some of the finest I have seen and felt! He has materials that are cheaper and that are more expensive; you can go with what you can afford.

I HIGHLY recommend Mr. Chan.^
Old Mar 30, 2007, 11:46 am

does anyone know about Ascot Chang? any reviews? i hrd they're supposed to make the best bespoke shirts?
Old Apr 1, 2007, 8:40 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, Miles & Smiles *G, PC Amb
Originally Posted by linesforeyes
hi everyone, this is my first post so please be receptive =(
You need to visit www.styleforum.net

Extensive discussion on style, tailors, cuts, materials etc etc etc....
Old Apr 1, 2007, 8:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
does anyone know about Ascot Chang? any reviews? i hrd they're supposed to make the best bespoke shirts?
Big nay from me. Although the shirts I had made there in 2003 or so are still "wearable", the've shrunk so much that I no longer can wear them as dress shirts with a suit and tie. Same vintage shirts I had made at A Man Hing Cheong are still going strong, with no deterioration in wear quality. And I can still wear them as dress shirts with a tie, so it isn't like my neck is getting bigger....
Old Apr 1, 2007, 3:09 pm
rjh

Ascot Chang has been ok for me with annual on site orders over 8 years or so, though the last batch all uniformly had arm lengths slightly too long. We didn't do a remeasurement, so they were going from my previous records. It's not terrible, just not something you expect at this level.

If you consider Ascot Chang, ask to look at the Thomas Mason 150/2 cotton fabric books, which AC claims is exclusive to them.

Since I don't get the monogramming and don't ask for much in special fitting, I'm beginning to wonder what's the point in a made to measure shirt. The special fabric is nice, but not that much better than off the shelf (if you pick the right shelf).
Old Apr 2, 2007, 8:32 am

Programs: SPG Lifetime Pt, CX DM, QR, UA, AX Pt
I've dealt with them for several years(bit shorter than RJH) on both suits and dress shirts.
They carry Brioni only for suits not for dress shirts.
I left them a copy of my dress shirts for a exact copy(Did fitting also)
but it was just NOT right. Material is great, but fit and finish is not close to Brini/Brioni's tailoring work.

So, I won't say it's terrible, but not what I expect.

Originally Posted by rjh
Ascot Chang has been ok for me with annual on site orders over 8 years or so, though the last batch all uniformly had arm lengths slightly too long. We didn't do a remeasurement, so they were going from my previous records. It's not terrible, just not something you expect at this level.

If you consider Ascot Chang, ask to look at the Thomas Mason 150/2 cotton fabric books, which AC claims is exclusive to them.

Since I don't get the monogramming and don't ask for much in special fitting, I'm beginning to wonder what's the point in a made to measure shirt. The special fabric is nice, but not that much better than off the shelf (if you pick the right shelf).
Old Apr 23, 2007, 8:44 pm

Programs: co ba
sorry i posted a new thread e
before i saw this one. I will be staying at the shagri-la kowllon, and i am looking for some shirts. last time i got cstom shirts it was a joke, they did not fit well and the collar stays were the type that are built in, now my collar flys up. where can i get shirts there that are good quality at a fair price
also a freind of mine mentioned that there are places in hong kong that one can buy greymarket designer ties, anyone know of any?
Old Apr 24, 2007, 1:49 pm
rjh

Originally Posted by mhron
sorry i posted a new thread e
before i saw this one. I will be staying at the shagri-la kowllon, and i am looking for some shirts. last time i got cstom shirts it was a joke, they did not fit well and the collar stays were the type that are built in, now my collar flys up. where can i get shirts there that are good quality at a fair price
also a freind of mine mentioned that there are places in hong kong that one can buy greymarket designer ties, anyone know of any?
Well, for shirt recommendations, I guess you can start by looking higher in this thread. It mentions several sources. Are the ones mentioned here not suitable for some reason?

Also, "graymarket", in my experience, usually means something like a camera with only a local warranty, not valid, for example, outside HK. Do you mean counterfeit? Some of the shops around Granville Road in TST have discounts on genuine designer ties. (I guess they're genuine. I'm not authoritative on this.)
Old Apr 25, 2007, 1:34 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, Miles & Smiles *G, PC Amb
Originally Posted by rjh
Well, for shirt recommendations, I guess you can start by looking higher in this thread. It mentions several sources. Are the ones mentioned here not suitable for some reason?

Also, "graymarket", in my experience, usually means something like a camera with only a local warranty, not valid, for example, outside HK. Do you mean counterfeit? Some of the shops around Granville Road in TST have discounts on genuine designer ties. (I guess they're genuine. I'm not authoritative on this.)
One of my fav places for ties is at the DFS Galleria opposite/in the Langham Hotel next to Ocean Terminal. Great selection and very good prices. Not many HK'ers go to shop there, but actually there are some good finds.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.