Reload this Page >

Hong Kong Tailor?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hong Kong Tailor?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2010, 11:43 am

Programs: Virgin FC, Qantas, Golden Circle, Sofitel, Hyatt, Starwood, Nectar, and my Tesco Club Card
I'm sure most can turn shirts around in that time
Old Jul 19, 2010, 11:58 am

Originally Posted by dkelly1110
Any chance in getting 2 or 3 shirts turned around the next day? Just staying two nights in HK before heading to other places....
Hong Kong is a place where business and the customer are king (sort of the antiFrance).

If you want instant gratification, you shall have it. That said, the very high end shops (David's Shirts, for example) almost certainly will not accommodate that type of request, especially if you're a 1st-time customer who needs to be fully measured/fitted. Also, don't be surprised if some/most shops will require a minimum number (4 or 6, maybe) shirts.
Old Jul 19, 2010, 12:50 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat, HH Gold
Originally Posted by wideman

That said, the very high end shops (David's Shirts, for example) almost certainly will not accommodate that type of request, especially if you're a 1st-time customer who needs to be fully measured/fitted. Also, don't be surprised if some/most shops will require a minimum number (4 or 6, maybe) shirts.
Okay, thanks very much for info.
Old Jul 24, 2010, 9:14 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, BA Gold, Bonvoy Ambassador, HH Gold
I was looking at David's Shirts website and it's quoting around $HK480 per shirt:

http://www.davidsshirts.com/database/custom.aspx

Is that accurate or an internet deal for repeat customers?
Old Jul 25, 2010, 2:11 am

Programs: LH, AB, SPG, CC, Sixt, EC
Originally Posted by dcmike
I was looking at David's Shirts website and it's quoting around $HK480 per shirt:

http://www.davidsshirts.com/database/custom.aspx

Is that accurate or an internet deal for repeat customers?
I haven't looked at the website but you can get excellent shirts anywhere in HK for about 300 HKD, even in Europe you get custom made shirts for the equivalent of 480 HKD!
Old Aug 2, 2010, 2:06 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Any feedback on Noon Tailor? Was recommended (secondhand, at least).

http://www.noontailor.com/
Old Aug 11, 2010, 3:39 pm

Fusing

Great comments in this thread -- thanks to all!

On a recent visit to BKK I discovered, to my dismay, that all the tailors in that city construct their suits by fusing -- gluing, really -- the suit fabric to the underlying canvas structure. One tailor told me that you won't find anyone left in BKK who uses blind stiching instead of glue.

Question: What is the status of fusing vs. proper stiching in HKG? I assume the top tier tailors know what they're doing. What about the mid-range? Also, any recommendations for researching this before flying out there? I have never been to HKG and am considering a trip.

Thanks in advance for any guidance!
Old Aug 11, 2010, 4:26 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum (3MM), QF Lifetime Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, Ex-Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by Traveller2000
Great comments in this thread -- thanks to all!

On a recent visit to BKK I discovered, to my dismay, that all the tailors in that city construct their suits by fusing -- gluing, really -- the suit fabric to the underlying canvas structure. One tailor told me that you won't find anyone left in BKK who uses blind stiching instead of glue.

Question: What is the status of fusing vs. proper stiching in HKG? I assume the top tier tailors know what they're doing. What about the mid-range? Also, any recommendations for researching this before flying out there? I have never been to HKG and am considering a trip.

Thanks in advance for any guidance!
There are very few top tier tailors in HK. Many fuse. The ones that don't, use a common factory in Shenzhen. Many people don't care or notice the difference.
Old Aug 11, 2010, 6:23 pm
Suspended

Programs: None any more
I believe Jantzen tailor avoids the use of glue (and I assume that means blind stitching). I'm not sure if this is by default or on request but I know that they do it. As a result they can produce suits which are kosher if that's a concern.
Old Aug 12, 2010, 4:03 am

Programs: Virgin FC, Qantas, Golden Circle, Sofitel, Hyatt, Starwood, Nectar, and my Tesco Club Card
Originally Posted by christep
... they can produce suits which are kosher ....
Wow, I never knew there was such a thing, does the wool come from a Kosher sheep?
Old Aug 12, 2010, 10:14 am
Suspended

Programs: None any more
No, but glue isn't kosher - hence the need for stiching to the backing material.
Old Jan 28, 2011, 3:48 pm

Programs: SPG GOLD
What is the least amount of time a quality place can get a new customer a suit? I'll likely only be in town for 3 days.
Old Jan 28, 2011, 11:45 pm

Programs: SPG Plat UA 1P Hilton Gold CO dirt
Originally Posted by beta1607
What is the least amount of time a quality place can get a new customer a suit? I'll likely only be in town for 3 days.
Don't think you can do it with a quality one here is the schedule I had a few years ago at a HK tailor (Takley):
1st day:
Pick fabric, initial measurements
2nd day:
first fitting
3rd day:
second fitting
4th or 5th day (don't remember exactly..)
pick up

I'm sure there are shops that can do it in 3 days, but I'm not sure you will be happy with the outcome. In 3 days, you can only have one fitting before pickup, plus rushing the job. I had shirts made at Jantzen on the same trip, and it takes a day or 2 for them to get to the shop after you've been measured. I did a one shirt order, and had them change the fit after trying it on, before having them make the rest.
Old Jan 29, 2011, 2:11 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Was just reading a news story about Shanghai having displaced the custom made suit market, with 24 hour service, very low prices and decent quality (better than much of HKG, but defnitely not Saville Row). I don't have any personal experience (yet), but it's convinced me to make my next few suits from Shanghai. The city does have a century long tradition of fine European tailoring and apparently the skills have survived, somehow.
Old Jan 29, 2011, 5:27 am

Programs: LH M&M, CX MPC Green
Originally Posted by number_6
Was just reading a news story about Shanghai having displaced the custom made suit market, with 24 hour service, very low prices and decent quality (better than much of HKG, but defnitely not Saville Row). I don't have any personal experience (yet), but it's convinced me to make my next few suits from Shanghai. The city does have a century long tradition of fine European tailoring and apparently the skills have survived, somehow.
This is something that's constantly being debated. I have a friend who swears by his tailor in SH and it is much cheaper. That being said I have talked to some Hong Kongers that tailor in SH (higher end) and they all say to get it done in HK for a better price, better fabric selection and more consistency.

I think its the last one that's the key. Consistency. I've read a number of reports here on FT and elsewhere of a great experience in Shanghai only for the next time to be a dissapointment. To be honest, having never had a suit made in SH, I am in no position to compare myself! Perhaps those with more experience can chime in?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.