Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Hong Kong and Macau
Reload this Page >

Hong Kong Tailor?

Hong Kong Tailor?

Old Feb 19, 2007, 12:41 am

Programs: Starwood, United, AAdvantage, Delta
How about a Ladie's Tailor?

Mostly thanks to this forum, I have a good tailor in mind for myself. I am going to try Jantzen.

But I have not been so lucky finding a good women's tailor. Can anyone recommend a good women's tailor? My wife is counting on a bit of shopping of her own.

Thanks for any help you can provide, and for all the excellent information in general.
Old Feb 19, 2007, 11:15 am

Programs: American Air
Ditto on William Cheng

Like Vulcan, I found Wm Cheng & Son on Hankow Rd, Kowloon, to make very good quality shirts & suits. I originally found Cheng in the early 90s by way of references from Australian barristers who used him. The shop is on the 8th floor.

I have also used one of the high end tailors in Kowloon, Y. William Yu, 46 Mody Road. My grand frather & father have used Yu over many decades. I found their suits to me very superior & they have a branch in New York City, 521 Madison Ave. This is a tailor who will pay serious attention to all details & insist upon proper number of fittings. They do make the circuit every year in the USA.
Old Feb 19, 2007, 12:20 pm
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Welcome to FlyerTalk xplorer37!
Old Feb 24, 2007, 2:05 pm

Programs: UA Global Services 3MM, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist
I'll be in Hong Kong for one day later this month. Can anyone recommend a tailor that will take a single set of measurements and be comfortable working from that? I am based in NYC, so I would like to find a tailor that also visits NYC regularly.

Thanks!
Old Feb 24, 2007, 7:27 pm
rjh

Programs: Kam Leng; Two Dragons GH
I think there may be confusion between measurements and fittings. The tailors take a single set of measurements, though they often will remeasure you on subsequent annual visits, say, but the better tailors really need multiple fittings as the garment reaches degrees of completion.

Even with a tailor that's done multiple suits for you, you should count on several fittings to get a decent fit. I think I had 4 last time and this was after several suits from my tailor, W W Chan in TST.

W W Chan visits NYC twice a year, I believe. You may want to go by a couple of the places recommended in this thread to discuss your time constraint.
Old Feb 25, 2007, 12:47 am

Originally Posted by meducate
I'll be in Hong Kong for one day later this month. Can anyone recommend a tailor that will take a single set of measurements and be comfortable working from that? I am based in NYC, so I would like to find a tailor that also visits NYC regularly.

Thanks!
You can try OM Custom Tailors in Kowloon. I hv used them for my suits and shirts. I also had limited time in Hongkong and they took my measurements and mailed me my order and they turned out perfect. I know they visit overseas for orders but don't know how often to the U.S. Their website www.omtailors.com / Tel 23662603. Cheers!
Old Feb 25, 2007, 9:12 am

Programs: UA Global Services 3MM, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by mike.williams
You can try OM Custom Tailors in Kowloon. I hv used them for my suits and shirts. I also had limited time in Hongkong and they took my measurements and mailed me my order and they turned out perfect. I know they visit overseas for orders but don't know how often to the U.S. Their website www.omtailors.com / Tel 23662603. Cheers!
Thanks! This place looks good...^
Old Feb 25, 2007, 1:17 pm

Women's Tailor?

I was wondering if anybody could recommend a tailor for my wife? For some reason, I am finding this much harder than locating a tailor for myself. Any tips on what she should do to get the most out of the experience is also much appreciated. Thanks.
Old Feb 25, 2007, 1:20 pm

Oh! M...

Very sorry for posting the above without not checking out OM first. It looks very good, and it seems they make a wide range of nice things for women.

Thanks tremendously.
Old Feb 25, 2007, 1:34 pm

Location: DALLAS,TX AA EXP-3MM, HYT PLAT, SPG PLAT,HLT GLD,LEADERS CLUB
Originally Posted by k-splat
Based on experience and reccomendation; try Pacific Custom tailors at Pacific Place, HK island. Ask any taxi driver or take the MTR to Admiralty. China's Lonely Planet guide said something along the lines of one of the best tailors in HK. They were very good with service (the San Miguels) and quality when i went there. Price was (i should still think is) medium range for shirts; say US$35-40 a peice (depends how many you get) and suits were somewhere around the HK$3500 mark. But try to bargain a little, and you might get a better deal.

Anyone else have any experiences with them>
I have pants and shirts made from Pacific Custom tailors that are 5 years old and they all still look like I purchased them yesterday. Now the pants I purchased in BKK at rajah I will use to clean the garage. I would return to Hong Kong just to have clothes made at Pacific Cusom tailors.
Old Mar 3, 2007, 8:14 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum (3MM), QF Lifetime Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, Ex-Hyatt Diamond
I have used WW Chan on numerous occaisions and they are very high quality. MOST of the custom tailors in HKG are store fronts for a common tailoring factory in Shenzhen. The people who make the clothes don't work for them. WW Chan has their on tailors, and they invest more man hours per piece than most of the others, and the quality difference is noticeable. But the cost is much higher. I was just quoted 14,700 HKD for a Loro Piana cashmere blazer. Patrick is the head salesman.

I have also heard very good things about TAKLY's on the Hong Kong side (I think in the Mandarin). I am not sure about the price. TAKLY's is primarily known for their shirts, but people say they also make very fine suits, and they also use their own tailors.
Old Mar 3, 2007, 10:46 am

I wanted to purchase my own fabric since my time is limited, can somene recommend where I might purchase Ermenegildo Zegna fabric? Thanks for the tips.
Old Mar 18, 2007, 7:50 am

We're thinking of staying in HKG for no more than 4 nights -- would that be too short to do the 2nd visit to the tailor for a suit? Typically, when do they ask you to return for a fitting after first visit?
Old Mar 18, 2007, 9:57 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, Miles & Smiles *G, PC Amb
Originally Posted by broadwayboy
We're thinking of staying in HKG for no more than 4 nights -- would that be too short to do the 2nd visit to the tailor for a suit? Typically, when do they ask you to return for a fitting after first visit?
A good tailor (or rather for a good job) would have you back for a second fitting within 2-3 days.

IF you push, you could have two fittings within the four days for a really really good fit.
Old Mar 18, 2007, 9:58 am
Suspended

Programs: None any more
You can tell them. The very best ones will refuse if they feel the time is not sufficient (this may depend to some extent on how unusual a shape you are). Most will simply do it to your timescale, but you're left with no choice but to accept what they have done when you go to pick up the finished article. Personally, having been left with a useless suit by this route I really don't think the savings made are worth the risk. But YMMV.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.