Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Hong Kong and Macau
Reload this Page >

Hong Kong Tailor?

Hong Kong Tailor?

Old May 25, 2006, 10:30 am

Programs: SPG Platinum, AA 2.0 MM, DL Plat, Hertz Plat, LY Gold
Tailor In Hong Kong

I am going to be traveling to Hong Kong in the summer and i would like to make myself Suits and Shirts for a Reasonable price..Any Suggestions?
Old May 25, 2006, 11:11 am

Programs: UA 2MM 1k, Bonvoy Plat, Hyatt Globalist
For shirts, I've been very happy with Jantzen Tailor (www.jantzentailor.com). They do make suits, but I've never had a chance to get a suit made there.

One thing to note is that they have a small store and is located in a crowded mall section of an office building, in case you care about the overall ambience of your retail experience (or lack thereof).
Old May 25, 2006, 6:54 pm

Been to HK 75 times. For me, no question, Sam's Tailor in TsimShaTsui on Nathan Rd.

http://www.samstailor.com/

He does the English Royal family, and is the "secret" tailor for many celebrities and politiians (Clinton and Bush included - he certainly has his fill of autographs in his shop). Small little crappy store, but, he was also featured in Forbes.

His actual name is Manu.
Old Jun 15, 2006, 5:46 pm

Programs: Virtuoso Travel Advisor. FSPP, Ritz STARS, Rosewood Elite, Belmond BelliniClub. SPG PRO
I use Andy at www.expresstailor.com.hk

His shop is just off from Star Ferry terminal in TST.
Old Jun 15, 2006, 6:24 pm
das

Programs: UA 1K, AA Gold
Originally Posted by ac-ua
For shirts, I've been very happy with Jantzen Tailor (www.jantzentailor.com). They do make suits, but I've never had a chance to get a suit made there.

One thing to note is that they have a small store and is located in a crowded mall section of an office building, in case you care about the overall ambience of your retail experience (or lack thereof).
I went to Jantzen Tailor last time I was in HKG (on a recommendation from others who had been pleased) and got two suits made. While I haven't had a ton of experience with suits, I was fairly pleased with how they turned out.

I think their small showroom helps keep prices down (I think I paid HKD 6000 for two suits, but they had more expensive and cheaper fabrics), although be prepared to wait if coming during peak shopping times.
Old Jul 11, 2006, 8:27 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA PLT, SPG PLT
Favorite Tailor for Custom-Made Suits?

All,

I'm about to goto Hong Kong, albeit only for 2.5 days. I've got a good list of things that I'll be visiting when I'm there and should be pretty busy throughout the trip (this is my first time ever to HK).

I'm very interested in getting a custom made suit (men's - business, of course) there, and while it is only a short-trip...hopefully i'll be able to get one made there that actually has some quality and isn't too expensive.

I've read things about Sam's Tailor and some of the other high-end places...but does anyone here have a favorite that they've been to and could share information about it?

In addition, I'd like to get some shirts made too (copied from a shirt that I already own); is there any good tailors for shirts - or should I just ask the one for the suit?

Thanks so very much for all the travel insight

-jeremy
Old Jul 11, 2006, 9:14 am

Programs: A bunch of pretty little colored plastic cards.
I have had great luck with Sam's. What's nice is that they assign you an account number so you can reorder easily when back home.

I normally only have shirts made because I am there for a relatively short period and suits normally require a couple of fittings to get them right. My brother has had numerous suits made from Sam's and has been quite pleased.

When in town my first stop is the tailor to place my order which I normally recieve a couple of days later (again, just shirts).

There are tons of tailors but quality will naturally vary. Just walking along Nathan Road you will be approached by numerous offers for tailoring services.
Old Jul 11, 2006, 9:19 am

Programs: UA
This topic is well-covered if you search prior threads.

Are you staying in Kowloon or on the island? If you're staying on the island, it can be a bit of a hassle to keep going back to Sam's (you'll have to go at least twice). And you did mention you have a good list of things to do. My suggestion would be to do the things on the list and not get the suit, since this is your first time to HK.
Old Jul 12, 2006, 2:12 am

Programs: UA, AA, WN
I purchased a suit and shirt from Sam's this spring when I was in HK. Excellent service, fit and price -- can't say enough about 'em. Walked into his shop at 10:30 one morning, had the suit at 7 p.m. the next day after two fittings. The main room might be as big as my living room, and it's packed with people constantly. But somehow, they get quality work done.

I've also heard good things about W.W. Chan and Ash Samtani, which both are in the same building as Sam's (Burlington Arcade) on Nathan Road in Kowloon. It's very close to the Tsim Sha Tsui subway station.

If you have only a few days and are set on getting a suit, make sure the tailor is the first place you stop after you check into your hotel. You might want to call up their Web sites first, just to get some ideas.

Do NOT buy anything from the tailors who are hawking their wares on the street, or trying to drag you into their store from the sidewalk. These guys usually offer very cheap prices, but you get what you pay for. Expect to pay anywhere from $350-$1,000 US for a decent suit from a reputable HK tailor.

BTW, this was my first trip to HK, too, and I absolutely loved it.
Old Aug 3, 2006, 10:32 pm

Thumbs down Bad experience at Jantzen tailor

I went to Jantzen tailor on the recommendation of a friend. Basically, I was disappointed and the owners David and Ricky behaved rather unprofessionally. Made me wonder if they've been spoiled by success?

The stitching down the front of my shirts is not straight. The lapels on my suit are not symmetrical, so it looks funny (friends commented on it). Also, whenever I commented on a problem, they said: "No, sir, it looks good." When I insisted, they caved in and agreed the problem was a "by product" of an alteration and said they'd take care of it. However, they never did.

I think Jantzen tailor is a hit-or-miss place. I would highly recommend people look elsewhere.
Old Aug 3, 2006, 10:36 pm

Sam's is not bad

Agree that Sam's is decent. However, don't fall for that Royal Family marketing ploy. Do you think he spends as much time with every customer as he does with Bill Clinton? My shirts there were fairly good. Khakis shrank more than an inch. Wouldn't hedge my bets on a suit unless I had a longstanding relationship with Manu. Tsim Tsa Tsui is a tourist mecca, which leads merchants to become careless without consequence.

Originally Posted by jeffharris
Been to HK 75 times. For me, no question, Sam's Tailor in TsimShaTsui on Nathan Rd.

http://www.samstailor.com/

He does the English Royal family, and is the "secret" tailor for many celebrities and politiians (Clinton and Bush included - he certainly has his fill of autographs in his shop). Small little crappy store, but, he was also featured in Forbes.

His actual name is Manu.
Old Aug 4, 2006, 9:26 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, Miles & Smiles *G, PC Amb
Remy's Tailor

I personally recommend Remy's Tailor in Tsim Sha Tsui. They're located on Carnavon Road about a 5 minute walk from that MTR exit. I get all my shirts done there and is usually around HK$250-280/shirt for the best Italian fabrics.
Old Aug 6, 2006, 10:50 am

Programs: SPG GL, AA GL
I like Pacific Custom Tailor, in Pacific Place. Just made a bunch of suits from them,and they're still good. And they always remember their customers. While getting fitting there, I saw several ex-customers coming into the store, and they were all from overseas. Friendly and not pushy service.
http://www.pacifictailor.com.hk/
http://www.sptimes.com/2003/01/12/Tr...he_perfe.shtml
Old Aug 11, 2006, 7:15 pm

Programs: AA-PLT CO BA UA
Originally Posted by ac-ua

I would also recomend Jantzen. I've had several suits made there and have been happy with quality and price. They are located right in the middle of Central and are easy to find.
Old Aug 16, 2006, 6:35 am

David's

For shirts, I would strongly recommend DAVID's. I think one of the shops is in the old Mandarin Oriental Arcade - but I think there are 2 locations in HKG.

They made about a dozen shirts for me back in 1998/1999 (I know this for sure because each shirt is sewn with a little label indicating the year it's made by the back label)-- and I am still wearing them today! The quality is impeccable, fabric selections are great!

They visit the US twice a year (?) as well and usually have about a week or so to show new fabrics and get new clients. I haven't yet visited them while they're in NYC. Problem is, their shirts still look good after all these years, who needs new one?

Next time I'm in HKG, I will surely get new shirts made though... Also, I think they started making suits few years ago.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.