Hong Kong Tailor?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hong Kong Tailor?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2013, 7:31 pm

Originally Posted by slickalick
I've heard about Bonham Strand - but haven't tried them and can't vouch. However, they have quite good pricing and apparently all the work is done here in Hong Kong instead of being farmed out to Shenzhen.

http://live.wsj.com/video/bonham-str...7-BE671F47B2F8
I've tried Bonham Strand, and can definitely vouch for them. I've made it a personal mission to tell everyone about Bonham because it has been painful seeing friends from overseas come to get nice suits and only to end up with expensive suits with questionable quality.

Price is extremely competitive - $3888 per suit, or in USD $500 - and there is something about knowing your suits are HK made (nice logo on the inside of the jacket) and you're doing a good deed (they train and employ rehabilitated people).

They are featured on HK magazine's top tailors list (unlike tourist traps like Raja's): http://hk.asia-city.com/shopping/art...lemens-tailors

While the magazine lists the address in Kowloon, I went to their 2nd store in Sheung Wan.

Any questions, feel free to ask, but obviously I am one satisfied customer.

Check them out: http://www.bonhamstrand.hk
Old Jan 13, 2013, 11:52 am
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hilton*D, Marriott*LG, Hyatt*G
Is there anyone with experience with Hira's Tailors? www.hiratailor.com

I keep getting unsolicited e-mails to my work e-mail address from them.
Old Feb 5, 2013, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by doesun
Has pacific custom tailors moved? I can't seem to find them in the directory
We were there last summer and they had a sign in the window saying they were goign to be moving to an on street locaiton nearby. Not sure of the adress, but they said it was "near"
Old Feb 23, 2013, 7:49 am

I used to use a tailor in Hong Kong for shirts but now I get my shirts on-line from Lewis and Taylor shirt makers. Fashion doesn't change that much for shirts. This really does save a lot of hassle if you are just after simple process to get good shirts with better fabric (I usually go for Thomas Mason)

I still sometimes get a sports jacket when I pass through Hong Kong and use a tailor on Hanknow road in TST. Choosing the fabric is the key. I am even tempted to buy some Harris Tweed in the UK and hand carry it over.

Last edited by PhilipWest; Feb 23, 2013 at 7:55 am
Old Feb 24, 2013, 4:30 am

Originally Posted by CX HK
I've tried Bonham Strand, and can definitely vouch for them. I've made it a personal mission to tell everyone about Bonham because it has been painful seeing friends from overseas come to get nice suits and only to end up with expensive suits with questionable quality.

Price is extremely competitive - $3888 per suit, or in USD $500 - and there is something about knowing your suits are HK made (nice logo on the inside of the jacket) and you're doing a good deed (they train and employ rehabilitated people).

They are featured on HK magazine's top tailors list (unlike tourist traps like Raja's): http://hk.asia-city.com/shopping/art...lemens-tailors

While the magazine lists the address in Kowloon, I went to their 2nd store in Sheung Wan.

How they are with fitting Western body shapes? I have my eye out for a new tailor but many of them struggle with broader shoulders.
Old Mar 25, 2013, 8:28 am

Programs: IHG Platinum Ambassador, Hyatt Diamond, Hhonors Diamond
Quick 48-hr turnaround for shirts?

My first trip to Hong Kong is coming up and I'd really like to get a tailored shirt, but I'll only have 3 days to do so. Is 48 hours enough time to get a decent shirt? Will high-end places like Ascot Chang take your measurements and ship the finished product to you? We will be in Tokyo for a 10 days after Hong Kong.
Old Mar 25, 2013, 9:26 am

That should be ok if you go to the tailor early and let them know you're on a tight schedule- shirts also require less work/time than suits.

Unrelated- anyone use David&co in the Bank of America tower before? Had them come highly recommended so planning to try them out as I'm overdue some new suits and shirts.
Old Mar 28, 2013, 11:04 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Shirts can be made overnight (24 hours) with no problem. Quality is excellent (better than anything I can get at Nordstrom or Macy's for example) and cheaper, plus choice of hundreds of fabrics in stock.
Old Apr 1, 2013, 11:53 pm

Programs: UA Premier Plat, Marco Polo Club Green , HH Blue, Marriott Plat
Graly Shirtmaker

Originally Posted by herokitty
My first trip to Hong Kong is coming up and I'd really like to get a tailored shirt, but I'll only have 3 days to do so. Is 48 hours enough time to get a decent shirt? Will high-end places like Ascot Chang take your measurements and ship the finished product to you? We will be in Tokyo for a 10 days after Hong Kong.
I have been buying shirts at Graly Shirtmaker at 13 Lun Fat St in Wan Chai. Lun Fat St. is off of Johnston Road, a block over from Ship St. It is near The Pawn Pub, http://www.thepawn.com.hk/

The tram line runs down Johnston Road, past Lun Fat St.

Mr. Tang will ship your shirts for a charge. On occasions when I have waited for service, the people in front of me were ordering a dozen or a score of shirts. Allow time for selecting the fabrics, he has lots of bolts of cloth to pick from.

EW

Last edited by ethernetWeasel; Apr 19, 2013 at 12:08 am
Old May 10, 2013, 2:28 am

Originally Posted by CX HK

I've seen Bonham Strand at the local TEDx event and they seem to do good work. I also know that a well-known local business commentator vouches for their work (and disclosing that he paid for his own suit). Will be giving them a try next time.
Old May 19, 2013, 12:39 am

Raja Fashions? Pure garbage. Shop elsewhere.

Originally Posted by chitownflyer
For those seeking fine and high end tailoring, here is some information. ... Sam's Tailor and Raja Fashions recieve mixed reviews when doing Google searches. ... WW Chan at 94 Nathan Road has Shanghai style tailoring, but you may have to make an appointment a month out, and then the turn around time is 6-7 days. It is the best high end tailor in Hong Kong. http://www.wwchan.com/
Raja Fashions? This is not a Hong Kong tailor. This is a bunch of traveling Indian order-takers, barely trained in the art of taking measurements, intending foremost to jack the out-the-door price as high as possible, then sending your order to a Chinese sweat shop that uses cheap, unqualified labor to sort of stitch your items together. Raja Fashions relies heavily upon tons of advertisement and newspaper exposure to constantly reel in fresh batches of customers unaware of its shoddy practices. Company culture appears to be that customers are no more than suckers, to be played like violins.

Apparently, based on other hundreds of other posters (whom I should have read first at http://www.reviewcentre.com/reviews111879.html), Mr. Raja Daswani has been peddling tons of such overpriced crap upon hapless victims for decades. But don’t bother looking for the legendary and talented craftsman Mr. Daswani, as portrayed in all the lovely press articles, in hope your issues will be attended. Numerous inquiries as to his whereabouts, even before expressing any refitting needs or other issues, were duly deflected. Googling reveals Mr. Raja has taken the fortune made from this business and moved on to making more money in Hong Kong real estate. The false image he has created of himself as master Hong Kong tailor is just being used as a marketing gimmick by whomever is actually running this shop these days. Rooms are reserved in his name, newspaper articles say he’s coming to town, etc. But it just ain’t so.

Here just a sampling of the issues I experienced in buying from Raja Fashions:

* Two orders, some items took six months from order to in-hand. And it took nagging to get them delivered at all. Charged credit card same day as order, though; no problem with Raja Fashions getting THAT taken care of promptly and correctly.

* A number of shirts, numerous issues. One shirt was to be sent back to test the quality of Raja repair/refitting. It was demanded that I reappear on a tour date to turn it in to get the repair, obviously so that the salesman could try to close a second order. (He got his close.) Two months later the shirt was returned, having not been worked on in the least. Some shirts delivered later had the exact same error.

* Shirt problems included …. Incorrect collar styles installed. Collar lengths varied as much as 1.5” between the shirts. Some of the shirts had to be sent off to a shop that specializes in salvaging shirts with collar issues. One shirt had a sleeve length 1.25” shorter than the rest of them; I will have to concoct some kind of clever repair to make that shirt usable as long-sleeved. Some yokes (ie, the rear shoulder section) so tight that the fabric will likely eventually rip. Others, cut so poorly they pillow up to the top of the rear collar. One shirt was selected without a fabric swatch, merely upon the word of the salesman; the color that arrived was completely different that then color agreed upon.

* About six pairs of trousers. Waist lines varied by as much as an inch between them. One pair had rear pockets 2.5” shorter than the rest. Buttons and hook-and-eyes fell out immediately. All this repaired at my cost, of course.

* First order was shipped to an incorrect address. Customer service was duly informed. Subsequent items continued to be shipped to the same incorrect address. Thank goodness, the people at that address know me and advised me.

* When, at first order, I agreed to the offered price without the customary haggling, the salesman suddenly added $150 to the bottom line “for shipping.” What an insult to my intelligence.

The only positive facts I can state about my experience is that Raja offers a tremendous selection of fabrics (though they were presented at incredulous prices) … and they actually used the fabric swatches I selected (as opposed to some other posters stating their fabric choices were switched down).

This is the second touring Indian “Hong Kong” tailor I have used. The Raja experience, as you see, was no less than horrid - and would have been, even at half the price I actually paid. The Indian touring “Hong Kong” tailor I used before that, not nearly so bad, but his shirts were constructed of un-shrunk fabric that required the replacement of every single shirt collar. And that was just as true of the second order I placed with him, where I pointed out the error and demanded a larger collar size by 0.50” to accommodate.

Indian touring tailors masquerading as true Hong Kong tailors? Expensive lesson learned. Next round, I will opt for the solid reputation of W.W. Chan & Sons. If I can even get an appointment.
Old May 26, 2013, 4:11 am

I can attest to Raja's long order-to-hand time as well. In my case the first fitting took 2 months and pickup was about 4 months.

At the time, it was my first experience with a custom tailor and I just assumed their tours took priority over a local customer.
Old May 27, 2013, 6:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hydrazine
I can attest to Raja's long order-to-hand time as well. In my case the first fitting took 2 months and pickup was about 4 months.
Unless they are waiting for the fabric to be delivered this sounds like a very long time. If they are waiting for the particular fabric it is possible.

The time to build a very high quality suit is typically in my experiences 2 or 3 weeks to try out 1, and then a week for each subsequent try out.
Old May 28, 2013, 8:36 am

I have used A-man Hing Cheong---Mandarin Arcade-- for many years. They are superb---but very very expensive. I tried Sam's 1 time and it was a disaster--I gave 2 suits to Goodwill. I had given them a suit to replicate the style--it was not even close and did not fit right.
In Bangkok I like Harryson in River City.
Old Jun 6, 2013, 9:06 am

Programs: UA, Marriott, Amex
Anyone have any recent experience with Lord's Tailor? I used them about 9 years ago. I bought two suits and a handful of shirts. Everything stood up excellently over time and I had absolutely no complaints. I go back in a few months and would love to use them again if they are still doing good work.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.