Reload this Page >

Hong Kong Tailor?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hong Kong Tailor?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2012, 8:43 pm

Location: Since the BoSox and ChiSox won it, now it is the Cubs turn to take the Series. Go Cubs Go!
Originally Posted by number_6
Even within Zegna the price differential can be breath-taking. I had two made, and the Zegna Trofeo fabric increased the finished cost by 20% over the "lesser" Zegna fabric (and 100%+ over other non-Zegna fabrics). Worth it, though.
I noticed this myself at the Hong Kong tailors when comparing different types of tropical wools for my suit. The heavier Zegna tropical wool of 8 ounces caused the price of a suit to increase by 20 percent versus the lighter Zegna 7 ounce tropical wool. Both Zegna tropical wools are of very fine quality.
Old Jun 18, 2012, 3:00 pm

Programs: DL GM, Marriott, Hilton Gold
Have been reading this thread with a great deal of interest over the past few days. I am in HK 2-3 times per year though usually on a short turn around and not usually in the market for suits while there. I haven't bought suits or shirts from tailors in HK for probably 15 years. I remember the good ol' days when $500 USD would buy you 2-3 suits, a couple pairs of slacks and a few shirts. Sounds as if with most things in the world, pricing in HK has begun to catch up with the rest of the world (likely due to fabric pricing alone).

My first observation from this post is comparison of quality. To me a Zegna suit is fantastic (and I own a couple) but I have several very nice fitting suits off the rack from Brooks Brothers that look quite good as well. What I don't hear anyone talking about here is lower priced and lower quality suits like you would find at Men's Warehouse. In my experience, the suits I've bought in HK looked as good as those from Brooks Brothers and certainly fit better than anything off the rack even using the 'regular' fabric that some posters have commented on.

That said...On an upcoming trip where I will be HK for about 2 weeks, I think I'm in the market for some suits again. I am not looking for 'cheap' but would like to find someone to tailor suits of Brooks Brothers quality at a reasonable price (no more than $300 USD/suit). Is this possible these days? If so, who would you use? I'll be staying on Hong Kong island rather than Kowloon, though with the MTR location isn't that huge of an issue.

Suggestions?
Old Jun 19, 2012, 10:16 pm

Location: Since the BoSox and ChiSox won it, now it is the Cubs turn to take the Series. Go Cubs Go!
Originally Posted by BHMFlier
Have been reading this thread with a great deal of interest over the past few days. I am in HK 2-3 times per year though usually on a short turn around and not usually in the market for suits while there. I haven't bought suits or shirts from tailors in HK for probably 15 years. I remember the good ol' days when $500 USD would buy you 2-3 suits, a couple pairs of slacks and a few shirts. Sounds as if with most things in the world, pricing in HK has begun to catch up with the rest of the world (likely due to fabric pricing alone).

My first observation from this post is comparison of quality. To me a Zegna suit is fantastic (and I own a couple) but I have several very nice fitting suits off the rack from Brooks Brothers that look quite good as well. What I don't hear anyone talking about here is lower priced and lower quality suits like you would find at Men's Warehouse. In my experience, the suits I've bought in HK looked as good as those from Brooks Brothers and certainly fit better than anything off the rack even using the 'regular' fabric that some posters have commented on.

That said...On an upcoming trip where I will be HK for about 2 weeks, I think I'm in the market for some suits again. I am not looking for 'cheap' but would like to find someone to tailor suits of Brooks Brothers quality at a reasonable price (no more than $300 USD/suit). Is this possible these days? If so, who would you use? I'll be staying on Hong Kong island rather than Kowloon, though with the MTR location isn't that huge of an issue.

Suggestions?
I would recommend to watch the Brooks Brothers summer sale which starts sometime in July, as it can offer 50 percent or more discounts, and you know exactly what you will be getting. Nordstrom Rack can also offer some outstanding values once the half yearly sale is completed, but this depends upon the location and type of inventory the store acquires. I also noticed that Costco is having a custom tailor road show at some of its warehouses. Give this link a look. http://www.costco.com/Service/Featur...av-_-MensSuits

Last edited by chitownflyer; Jun 19, 2012 at 11:10 pm
Old Jun 22, 2012, 11:39 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador
Rehman at Noon Tailor

As you can see, I am a very long time FTer since 2000 with very few recommendations. So this is no shill. I am Canadian and have been to Hong Kong twice including this week's visit.

In 2009, I read a review in FT about Noon Tailor. I wanted someone who could give personal service so wanted to stay away from the better known tailors with better Internet reputations. I took a chance and picked Noon Tailor.

I bought 2 suits and 2 jackets and some shirts and extra pants.

I was happy and 3 years later the suits are still holding up great after many cleanings.

Today (literally) I am back in HK for the second time. I pre-ordered 3 suits and 3 shirts (special Egyptian cotton because I sweat so much). Rehman at Noon Tailor sent them to Beijing where I picked them up to wear to my business meetings in China. Then yesterday evening I flew to Hong Kong. Today Rehman came himself to visit me in my Hong Kong hotel to deliver 5 more shirts and to explain the different quality of cloth for his suits (in 2009 he used English material for 1 suit and Korean for the other). In 2012 he used Italan super 180. I love those low sweat shirts. Hand stitching is used on the suits where required for long term use.

I am very happy with what he sold me. Not the cheapest by any means but good quality and good service. That's what I wanted. Also way cheaper than Canada.

www.noontailor.com

Good luck and safe travels.

Last edited by Salisbury5; Jun 22, 2012 at 11:43 pm Reason: Spelling iPad problems
Old Jun 26, 2012, 8:43 am

Programs: DL GM, Marriott, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by chitownflyer
I would recommend to watch the Brooks Brothers summer sale which starts sometime in July, as it can offer 50 percent or more discounts, and you know exactly what you will be getting. Nordstrom Rack can also offer some outstanding values once the half yearly sale is completed, but this depends upon the location and type of inventory the store acquires. I also noticed that Costco is having a custom tailor road show at some of its warehouses. Give this link a look. http://www.costco.com/Service/Featur...av-_-MensSuits
Appreciate the thoughts...but if in the same price range I wanted a comparable tailored suit in Hong Kong, who would you recommend and how would you prepare for the visit? Should I take a suit that I like that already fits me well or attempt to explain to them what I'm looking for. Would I be better off having shirts tailored and forgetting about suits altogether?
Old Jun 26, 2012, 11:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
I thought the idea of a tailored suit is to get something that is, ahem, tailored to you and nobody else, as opposed to what Brooks Brothers thinks you look like. No amount of quality cloth is going to make up for a lousy fit. And if you have it tailored in Hong Kong by a reputable and quality tailor (of which many have been mentioned in this thread), the fit won't be lousy.
Old Jun 28, 2012, 5:21 pm

Programs: AC Altitude 100K, QF Gold, SPG Platinum 100, Hilton HHonours Diamond
Obviously someone who has never had a tailored suit...
Old Jun 28, 2012, 5:30 pm

lol.
Old Aug 8, 2012, 8:50 am

Going to have a sit down with Monalo Tang tailors at the end of this month. Doesn't seem to be a lot of information on them from the usual sources, does anyone have any experience with them? Also, Does anyone have any questions you would like asked about their operation?
Old Oct 20, 2012, 7:07 pm

Originally Posted by gegarrenton
Going to have a sit down with Monalo Tang tailors at the end of this month. Doesn't seem to be a lot of information on them from the usual sources, does anyone have any experience with them? Also, Does anyone have any questions you would like asked about their operation?
How did it go?

They are still advertising heavily

Below is a list I use. Fitting for a suit is essential but I do prefer to order shirts online - get them delivered to the hotel for when you arrive

Hong Kong custom tailor shops
Old Oct 23, 2012, 2:14 pm

Programs: MP(1K) Million Miler, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by WannaFlyJ
Obviously someone who has never had a tailored suit...
A bit late for this post, but I've noticed that sarcasm doesn't come across on a board like this. Check Chitown's other posts and you'll see what I mean.
Old Oct 25, 2012, 9:54 am

I would recommend on-line HK tailors for shirts (Not a Suit as you must get fittings) if you are only in town for a short time. Order them before you take off and get them delivered to your hotel for when your arrive.

A list of on-line HK shirt makers

www.cottonwork.com - huge choice of High-end fabric
www.nialma.com - simple to use site
www.lewistaylorshirts.com - easy to use site with good brands of fabric
www.moderntailor.com - 2000 fabrics
www.itailor.com - Site seems to be down at the moment

The main differences are the types of fabric super 100's and up are good super 140 and up are great but wrinkle, the types of button (Shell or plastic) and the quality of the tailoring.

Last edited by PhilipWest; Oct 31, 2012 at 11:43 pm
Old Oct 25, 2012, 12:04 pm

Programs: Marriott + Hilton. Fly BA and AZ
I apologise in advance - I haven't read the whole thread

Just one Q - REALISTICALY how long does a HKG tailor need to complete a suit
? I'd be in HKG for 4 nights and would love a new suit..
Old Oct 25, 2012, 12:13 pm

possible but very tough to do and get good results.

Better tailors take 7 days or so

Stay away from the touts on the street
Old Oct 28, 2012, 7:42 am

Programs: Marriott + Hilton. Fly BA and AZ
Originally Posted by PhilipWest
possible but very tough to do and get good results.

Better tailors take 7 days or so

Stay away from the touts on the street
My thoughts too

Thanks^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.