Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Hong Kong and Macau
Sign in using an external account

Old Oct 23, 12, 2:14 pm   #271

Programs: MP(1K), DL, SPG, Hilton, Hyatt (Plat)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaFlyJ View Post
Obviously someone who has never had a tailored suit...
A bit late for this post, but I've noticed that sarcasm doesn't come across on a board like this. Check Chitown's other posts and you'll see what I mean.
TheCount2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 12, 9:54 am   #272

I would recommend on-line HK tailors for shirts (Not a Suit as you must get fittings) if you are only in town for a short time. Order them before you take off and get them delivered to your hotel for when your arrive.

A list of on-line HK shirt makers

www.cottonwork.com - huge choice of High-end fabric
www.nialma.com - simple to use site
www.lewistaylorshirts.com - easy to use site with good brands of fabric
www.moderntailor.com - 2000 fabrics
www.itailor.com - Site seems to be down at the moment

The main differences are the types of fabric super 100's and up are good super 140 and up are great but wrinkle, the types of button (Shell or plastic) and the quality of the tailoring.

Last edited by PhilipWest; Oct 31, 12 at 11:43 pm..
PhilipWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 12, 12:04 pm   #273

Programs: BA gold - AZ freccia alata - FB gold - SPG platinum - HH gold - AMEX various
I apologise in advance - I haven't read the whole thread

Just one Q - REALISTICALY how long does a HKG tailor need to complete a suit
? I'd be in HKG for 4 nights and would love a new suit..
Old Oct 25, 12, 12:13 pm   #274

possible but very tough to do and get good results.

Better tailors take 7 days or so

Stay away from the touts on the street
PhilipWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 12, 7:42 am   #275

Programs: BA gold - AZ freccia alata - FB gold - SPG platinum - HH gold - AMEX various
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilipWest View Post
possible but very tough to do and get good results.

Better tailors take 7 days or so

Stay away from the touts on the street
My thoughts too

Thanks
Old Nov 5, 12, 5:37 am   #276

Question Dress Makers?

I'm going to Hong Kong at the end of the month and would like to find a good dress tailor. Most of the content of this forum seems to be on suits and shirts. Anyone have knowledge of a good dress maker? I have some fabulous silk that I bought in India a few years ago and want to have it made into a dress. Is that possible? Any help grateful!
Chitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 12, 8:16 pm   #277

Can't help wit a dressmaker but I suggest that you look through some magazines or websites and bring pictures of styles you like. My wife is doing this for a leather/fur acket she wants to have made.
Old Nov 8, 12, 12:39 am   #278

Programs: BA, ICHG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chitch View Post
I'm going to Hong Kong at the end of the month and would like to find a good dress tailor. Most of the content of this forum seems to be on suits and shirts. Anyone have knowledge of a good dress maker? I have some fabulous silk that I bought in India a few years ago and want to have it made into a dress. Is that possible? Any help grateful!
I know of a good one (well, my female friends tell me it's good) but its quite difficult to find. I'll PM you the address. I dont know how much they will charge for a dress, but as is the rule of good HK tailors, they wont negotiate.
phol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 12, 10:14 am   #279

Programs: UAL 1.8MM/1K and AA Exec/Plat.
Good Tailor in Hong Kong

Prices on many earlier posts out of date. Expect to pay at good tailor 100. US and up for quality shirt and 1000. US and up for suit made with 120 and better materials, less if inferior material. Can do suit in 2-3 days. I went in Sept 2012 to HK and by luck found good tailor on Mody Road in Kowloon called King's Tailor, owner is Clement Cheung. He seemed very knowledgeable and prices fair in relation to what I wanted. If you want cheap stuff, many of the street hawkers will lead you to one of the seemingly thousands of tailor shops in HK. The only more prevalent shop is Seven/Eleven. Remember, you get what you pay for.
michael13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 12, 6:39 pm   #280

Programs: BA, ICHG
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael13 View Post
Prices on many earlier posts out of date. Expect to pay at good tailor 100. US and up for quality shirt and 1000. US and up for suit made with 120 and better materials, less if inferior material. Can do suit in 2-3 days. I went in Sept 2012 to HK and by luck found good tailor on Mody Road in Kowloon called King's Tailor, owner is Clement Cheung. He seemed very knowledgeable and prices fair in relation to what I wanted. If you want cheap stuff, many of the street hawkers will lead you to one of the seemingly thousands of tailor shops in HK. The only more prevalent shop is Seven/Eleven. Remember, you get what you pay for.
100USD for a shirt? They saw you coming
phol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 12, 10:58 pm   #281

Quote:
Originally Posted by phol View Post
100USD for a shirt? They saw you coming
And then some! Jantzens in Central is still HKD350-500 for a decent quality shirt - USD45-65.
Shuttle-Bored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 12, 9:15 am   #282

Anyone familiar with Frankie Tailor in the Sun Hung Kai Ctr in Wanchai?
Old Dec 10, 12, 1:51 pm   #283

Quote:
Prices on many earlier posts out of date. Expect to pay at good tailor 100. US and up for quality shirt and 1000. US and up for suit made with 120 and better materials, less if inferior material.
LOL
nightkhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 12, 5:43 pm   #284

Programs: OZ Diamond, Miles & Smiles *G, PC Amb
Quote:
Whilst i can understand paying US$100 for a shirt with top quality materials, detail in stitching, variations in lining, horn buttons etc. I can't imagine paying US$100 for 1 shirt at a tailor in Mody Road! I have 2 Ascot Chang shirts which i made for around HK$800 each but these were stunning shirts, with a lot of detail in terms of threads, buttons, linings etc....

My new favorite for this type of custom shirt is Cuffs in Causeway Bay. Though on my last order, they got some of the measurements way off, but were happy to redo the shirts.

...Flying the Friendly Skies since 1980...
slickalick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 12, 1:16 pm   #285

Programs: United Global Services,Hilton Diamond, Starwood Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, National Executive Elite
I've been reading through this thread, and it's all a bit overwhelming. I too am getting ready for my first trip to Hong Kong, and plan to be there about a week. Getting a suit made while I'm there seems like a great idea.

I'm by no means a clothes horse, but did discover the joys of custom slacks made from good quality material at a local Houston tailor a few years ago. Really well made pants suddenly just fit perfectly, though were expensive at 500-600 per pair. My old beat up Dillard's sport coat got an uplift and a new lining and is now a bit nicer.

I emailed the Grand Hyatt and they have recommended Linda Chan, it looks like WW Chan is the upper end of the high end. and Danny's is somewhere bellow that?

For fabric I would love some advice as well. I live in Houston, travel in Texas and generally want tropical weight fabrics that can stand being punished by being put in my overstuffed carry on, folded up and put in overheads, etc. All while coming out still looking good. Oh and they should be comfortable to wear in Houston in the summer, or Kansas in the summer. I can always add an overcoat in the winter.

I would like to end up getting a 2 piece suit made, with an extra pair of pants, and a few shirts, ideally paying somewhere around $1000 US. Is that at all possible? Any thoughts would be most welcome.

Thanks!
Scott
flyboy_421 is offline   Reply With Quote