Reload this Page >

Hong Kong Tailor?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hong Kong Tailor?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2, 2010, 7:58 am

Programs: Skywards Silver, Goldpoints Silver, CC Gold, Hilton Gold, Le-Club Platin
will be in HKG just a few days (6). does any of the "good" or preferred tailors offer a possibility to get a custom-made one in this short period of time?
Old Jun 2, 2010, 8:06 pm

Programs: LH M&M, CX MPC Green
I still plug my guy from earlier in this thread, Harry Mohini of Mohini Fashions in Tsim Sha Tsui (google for contact details). He has an incredible variety of fabrics. Just be sure to know what design and cut you want...
Old Jun 3, 2010, 11:39 am

Programs: Virgin FC, Qantas, Golden Circle, Sofitel, Hyatt, Starwood, Nectar, and my Tesco Club Card
Originally Posted by finnsch
will be in HKG just a few days (6). does any of the "good" or preferred tailors offer a possibility to get a custom-made one in this short period of time?
You should have no problem getting a good suit in 6 days
Old Jun 4, 2010, 11:10 am

Programs: Skywards Silver, Goldpoints Silver, CC Gold, Hilton Gold, Le-Club Platin
Originally Posted by Jamoldo
I still plug my guy from earlier in this thread, Harry Mohini of Mohini Fashions in Tsim Sha Tsui (google for contact details). He has an incredible variety of fabrics. Just be sure to know what design and cut you want...
thank you for the tip, can you tell me something about the prices for a normal hand made suit?
Old Jun 5, 2010, 9:33 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, AA 2.0 MM, DL Plat, Hertz Plat, LY Gold
Anything under $200 will be garbage... I'd reckon $250-$300 will get you something nice. Feel free to negotiate
Old Jun 6, 2010, 8:40 am

Programs: LH M&M, CX MPC Green
Originally Posted by finnsch
thank you for the tip, can you tell me something about the prices for a normal hand made suit?
Depends on the material, but for Italian Super 150s wool, it was about $400-$450 (back in 2008). Two pairs of pants per suit.
Old Jun 6, 2010, 10:24 am

thank you for the informations, the prices seems to be good ^
Old Jun 24, 2010, 4:46 am

I've seen a lot of recommendations for tailors that do high-quality suits, but I'm looking for a tailor who will copy some more casual pieces. The clothes are for my teenage daughter and she wants some casual blazers and plaid jeans among other pieces, but isn't in need of something that will last her a decade. Of course, we don't want the clothes to fall apart after the first wash, but we're not looking to spend more than the $20-$40 USD we'd pay retail for a similar pair of pants or blazer.

Is this reasonable, and can anyone recommend a good tailor for the job? I've been told it's fairly easy to get scammed by tailors in HK and the only recommendations I've seen is for the higher-end places.
Old Jun 24, 2010, 11:56 am

Originally Posted by fartherlight
...she wants some casual blazers and plaid jeans among other pieces, but isn't in need of something that will last her a decade. Of course, we don't want the clothes to fall apart after the first wash, but we're not looking to spend more than the $20-$40 USD we'd pay retail for a similar pair of pants or blazer.
I'd guess that you have no chance whatsoever of getting made-to-measure jeans or a blazer for $20-40 anywhere in HK. You might well be able to get something at those prices if you take the train up to Shenzhen: the Lo Wu center has a great many tailors who offer clothes at a fraction of the prices you'd pay in HK.

However, the quality, especially of the fabrics and to a lesser extent the workmanship, is well below even mediocre HK tailors. (Also, unless you already planned to go to the mainland, you'd also have the expense of visas.)
Old Jun 24, 2010, 3:26 pm

Originally Posted by wideman
I'd guess that you have no chance whatsoever of getting made-to-measure jeans or a blazer for $20-40 anywhere in HK. You might well be able to get something at those prices if you take the train up to Shenzhen: the Lo Wu center has a great many tailors who offer clothes at a fraction of the prices you'd pay in HK.

However, the quality, especially of the fabrics and to a lesser extent the workmanship, is well below even mediocre HK tailors. (Also, unless you already planned to go to the mainland, you'd also have the expense of visas.)
Thanks for your reply. I've talked it over with my daughter and I'm willing to negotiate with her and pay more if that's really unreasonable. Ignoring my initial price range, can anyone recommend a decent tailor for casual clothes? We're still not looking for something as high-end as Jantzen's but please do ballpark the rates.
Old Jun 29, 2010, 6:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Originally Posted by fartherlight
Thanks for your reply. I've talked it over with my daughter and I'm willing to negotiate with her and pay more if that's really unreasonable. Ignoring my initial price range, can anyone recommend a decent tailor for casual clothes? We're still not looking for something as high-end as Jantzen's but please do ballpark the rates.
That's a tough call. I've used A Man Hing Cheong for a long time now, which I would consider towards the higher end of the range. Once a few years back I went in and asked them to spec out some more casual pants, and they said that it wasn't a good idea. Even using cheap materials, the labor time wouldn't be materially different from a nice pair of pants, so I'd end up paying USD 100 for a pair of khakis I could get anywhere for USD 40. So I didn't.
Old Jul 8, 2010, 7:06 pm

My goto place

Originally Posted by Kettering Northants QC
You should have no problem getting a good suit in 6 days
I recently went back to Hong Kong for a wedding banquet and my luggage with suit in it was lost. Thankfully, I got lucky and found a tailor in Central. They got me a great fitting suit in time for the wedding and I didn't have to spend a fortune.

Quick plug: Ying Tai Ltd. 9 Queen’s Rd., Central
Old Jul 15, 2010, 10:23 am
rjh

Programs: Kam Leng; Two Dragons GH
Originally Posted by Nonon
I recently went back to Hong Kong for a wedding banquet and my luggage with suit in it was lost. Thankfully, I got lucky and found a tailor in Central. They got me a great fitting suit in time for the wedding and I didn't have to spend a fortune.

Quick plug: Ying Tai Ltd. 9 Queen’s Rd., Central
Just for calibration with other posts in this thread, would you care to share the elapsed time, number of fittings, fabric, and cost?
Old Jul 15, 2010, 11:49 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum (3MM), QF Lifetime Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, Ex-Hyatt Diamond
Does anyone know any Hong Kong or Shanghianese tailors that can do logo embroidery on individual shirts -- not just initials? I would like to have single shirts made with the Red Sox, Patriots logos, etc.
Old Jul 19, 2010, 9:13 am

Programs: Amex Plat, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat, HH Gold
Any chance in getting 2 or 3 shirts turned around the next day? Just staying two nights in HK before heading to other places....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.