Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Hong Kong and Macau
Reload this Page >

7 hour layover transportation questions

Old Jun 17, 2017, 10:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Hhonors Diamond

I have tried this on another forum, with uncertain replies. Hope someone here can advise.

I will be in HK on a layover on a Saturday afternoon. I would like to see the Ladies Market and TST Promenade, but am concerned about getting stuck in traffic. As such, I have pretty much ruled out buses, and am wary about long-distance taxis. Does the following make sense, and if not, what would you recommend?

1-Take Airport Express to Kowloon Station

2-Taxi from Kowloon Station to Ladies Market to sightsee. Would a taxi even be available for such a short distance?

3-Taxi from Ladies Market to TST promenade to sightsee. Again, would a taxi be available?

4-Star Ferry from TST Promenade to Central, and from Central take the Airport Express back to HKIA

I have read that the AE is reliable, as opposed to taxis which could get stuck in traffic. My concern is getting short distance taxis within the city, too. Hope someone with experience can advise. Thanks.
Old Jun 17, 2017, 7:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Have you consider the MTR for travel between AE, Mongkok(ladies St), TST and then ferry to central to pick up AE back to airport? One can buy a tourist AE return plus unlimited MTR pass.

It would help if you provide HKG arrival and departure time.
Traffic varies depending which 7 hours block you are talking about
Old Jun 17, 2017, 10:26 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the reply. I will arrive around 1:30 pm for 7 hours. I am now planning on doing the trip in reverse, to avoid rushing at the end. That is to say, start off by taking the AE to Central and take the ferry to TST Promenade first. I would then catch a taxi from TST to the Ladies Market, and end by taking a cab from Ladies Market to Kowloon Station to catch AE.

I didn't think MTR would take me where I was planning to go - do you suggest it? I am OK with taking taxis if it means saving time. My concern is that I would not be able to catch a taxi (or that they would refuse the short fare), or that they would be caught in traffic. Given my timing, what do you recommend?
Old Jun 18, 2017, 11:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Both Central (Hong Kong) and Kowloon AR station have taxi stands as well as TST star ferry pier/bus terminus.

MK ladies street is where grabbing a taxi can be an issue especially in the afternoon during your reverse plan.

Best to do:
AE to Kowloon,
taxi to ladies street,
MTR from MK to TST,
ferry to Central side.
AE back to airport.
Old Jun 18, 2017, 4:41 pm

Or, if you're a bit more adventurous you can take the AE to Tsing Yi, then the MTR to Lai King and at Lai King transfer to another MTR line for Mongkok. Or do this in reverse.
Old Jun 18, 2017, 6:18 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies. Given my short timing, I am nervous about doing multiple transfers.

I would like to take the AE to Central first, to avoid relying on a bunch of transfers when heading back to the airport. Is it truly that hard to find a taxi near the Ladies Market to take me to Kowloon on a Saturday afternoon / evening?
Old Jun 18, 2017, 7:08 pm

If it's raining, yes.

The other point is that taxis can't stop everywhere; a common sight in HK is an overseas visitor standing on a kerb trying to hail a taxi, but they all go straight past him because they can't stop there.
Old Jun 18, 2017, 7:22 pm

Programs: MP, BR
Originally Posted by Jacquelyn Hyde
Thanks for the replies. Given my short timing, I am nervous about doing multiple transfers.

I would like to take the AE to Central first, to avoid relying on a bunch of transfers when heading back to the airport. Is it truly that hard to find a taxi near the Ladies Market to take me to Kowloon on a Saturday afternoon / evening?

I won't suggest doing the reverse. Traffic will get worse as the day goes on especially around Mongkok (where Ladies Street is).

As mentioned earlier by someone else, suggest you do Kowloon Station - Ladies Street - MTR to Tsim Sha Tsui to see the promenade - ferry to Central - AE from Hong Kong station (which is about a 5 - 8 min walk from the ferry).
Old Jun 18, 2017, 8:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Chromie25
I won't suggest doing the reverse. Traffic will get worse as the day goes on especially around Mongkok (where Ladies Street is).

As mentioned earlier by someone else, suggest you do Kowloon Station - Ladies Street - MTR to Tsim Sha Tsui to see the promenade - ferry to Central - AE from Hong Kong station (which is about a 5 - 8 min walk from the ferry).
The choice of which way you want to do this is ultimately yours.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 8:23 am

Location: exUA1K, UA MM, lifetime UA1P, AA MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold

IME, AE and MTR transfers are EASY.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 1:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Chromie25

Do you think I would be able to catch a taxi from Kowloon to Ladies, and then from Ladies to TST? Someone else had me worried about taking transport / transferring / walking due to tight timing. Are taxis really that hard to catch in HK?
Old Jun 19, 2017, 6:19 pm

Programs: MP, BR
Catching a taxi Saturday afternoon at Mongkok area isn't too difficult, but I think many of us suggested MTR because of the traffic. The taxi trip from Ladies Street to TST basically involves going through Nathan Road, which can be a parking lot at times. It's typically a 8 - 10 min taxi ride under normal traffic conditions.

The MTR ride is 4 stops and within 10 minutes, much more predictable in terms of timing.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 11:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by 889
The other point is that taxis can't stop everywhere; a common sight in HK is an overseas visitor standing on a kerb trying to hail a taxi, but they all go straight past him because they can't stop there.
+1

Contrary to OP's belief, buses are the best alternative of MTR for traveling with Yau Tsim Mong District (YTM).
Old Jun 25, 2017, 2:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by garykung
+1

Contrary to OP's belief, buses are the best alternative of MTR for traveling with Yau Tsim Mong District (YTM).
OP here - someone else had me worried that I would be wasting a lot of time with MTR, but it sounds much more reliable than potentially being stuck in traffic.

Based on feedback, this is what I am planning. Does it make sense? If I have an 8:30 pm flight, I assume I would need to leave Ladies by 5:00 or 5:15

1 - Take the Airport Express to Central.
2 - Walk to Star ferry from Central and take the ferry to TST Promenade
3 - Walk to Tsim Sha Tsui MTR station (NOT East Station). Take Tsuen Wan line to Mongkok Station. Walk to Ladies
4 - Take Tsuen Wan Line from Mongkok Station to Lai King. Transfer to the Tung Chung Line for 1 stop to Tsing Yi and then transfer to the Airport Express.

Would this be better than relying on taxis? Also, is it hard to find the Tsim Sha Tsui MTR station from the Star Ferry dock?

Thanks again...
Old Jun 25, 2017, 2:36 pm

Easier, yes.

Are MTR stations hard to find, no. (Just veer right, towards the big Peninsula Hotel leaving the ferry.)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.