Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Hong Kong and Macau
Reload this Page >

Lunch on a Sunday morning

Old Mar 16, 2017, 11:06 am
Original Poster

I'm flying into HK early on a Sunday morning and I would like to get an early lunch.

I am wanting to eat after 9am (my stomach clock believes it 2pm) and would really like to get some barbeque (mmm roast duck!) or something stir fried/spicy ... not much into broth/noodles.

As most places don't seem to be open closer to midday (I typically fly through HK on a weekend so ) , in the past I have just grabbed whatever I can ...which usually means steam buns at a convenience store.

I will be spending most of the day around Mongkok/Sham Shui Po (it's like Sardines at Mongkok in early Sunday afternoon, so want to head there by 11).
Old Mar 16, 2017, 8:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by pseudo
I'm flying into HK early on a Sunday morning and I would like to get an early lunch.

I am wanting to eat after 9am (my stomach clock believes it 2pm) and would really like to get some barbeque (mmm roast duck!) or something stir fried/spicy ... not much into broth/noodles.

As most places don't seem to be open closer to midday (I typically fly through HK on a weekend so ) , in the past I have just grabbed whatever I can ...which usually means steam buns at a convenience store.

I will be spending most of the day around Mongkok/Sham Shui Po (it's like Sardines at Mongkok in early Sunday afternoon, so want to head there by 11).
​​​​​​
BBQ shops are not ready with the day's roasts until lunch time. Fresh BBQ is not a breakfast item.
Old Mar 17, 2017, 5:37 am
Original Poster

I did some digging and found Yat Lok has Sunday opening at 10am.

Yat Lok - 34-38 Stanley St, Central

Wondering if they will have full menu that early, or as tentseller mentioned, they won't have the roasts ready until noon.
Old Mar 19, 2017, 11:41 pm

Programs: MP, BR
I did some digging and found Yat Lok has Sunday opening at 10am.

Yat Lok - 34-38 Stanley St, Central

Wondering if they will have full menu that early, or as tentseller mentioned, they won't have the roasts ready until noon.

Central is on the opposite side of the harbor where Mongkok/Shumshuipo is. Maybe you can try to traditional Cantonese restaurants in those areas? Besides dim sum you can get stir fry noodles/rice etc. Also BBQ pork and roast pork is usually available there as part of the dim sum menu.
Old Mar 20, 2017, 1:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Chromie25
Central is on the opposite side of the harbor where Mongkok/Shumshuipo is. Maybe you can try to traditional Cantonese restaurants in those areas? Besides dim sum you can get stir fry noodles/rice etc. Also BBQ pork and roast pork is usually available there as part of the dim sum menu.
Most dim sum restaurants that have BBQ on the menu does not offer them at opening time.
My experience is around 11-11:30am when they are available.
Old Mar 20, 2017, 1:49 am
Original Poster

Tim Ho Wan is open from 9am on Sunday in Sham Shui Po ... I read a lot of mixed reviews (but it would be good to try a place with a Michelin star)

Do you think its possible to find some take-out roast duck (or goose) at 5pm, so I can take to the airport?
Old Mar 20, 2017, 2:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Tim Ho Wan is open from 9am on Sunday in Sham Shui Po ... I read a lot of mixed reviews (but it would be good to try a place with a Michelin star)

Do you think its possible to find some take-out roast duck (or goose) at 5pm, so I can take to the airport?
THW do a few dim sums and do it very well. Expect good dim sum and nothing more.
I have seen their negative review and they seem to written by people who have no idea what dim sum is or have high expectation for the ambiance of M1 star dining base on different regions.

At 5pm, unless you know the place, the duck/goose might have been sitting around since lunch time.
Old Mar 20, 2017, 2:39 am
Original Poster

any suggestions where it might be good at that time?
Old Mar 20, 2017, 4:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

any suggestions where it might be good at that time?
Where will you be at? I am an Islander and not as familiar with Kowloon side.
Old Mar 20, 2017, 4:56 am
Original Poster

I need to catch a train from Central to airport anyway, so will be on the Island, as long as its near a MTR station (or a short taxi ride)

Last edited by pseudo; Mar 20, 2017 at 4:56 am Reason: grammar
Old Mar 20, 2017, 6:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I need to catch a train from Central to airport anyway, so will be on the Island, as long as its near a MTR station (or a short taxi ride)
This is on a Sunday? Kam's on Hennessy would probably be you best bet. They are not too far from Wan Chai MTR entrance.

I have other places in mind too but it would not be easy to find and Sunday, like you mentioned, is sardines day all over HK.
Old Mar 20, 2017, 9:20 am

I've eaten at the airport and enjoyed a decent dim sum and goose meat meal here: https://www.hongkongairport.com/eng/...hine/palo.html
Old Mar 21, 2017, 1:25 am
Original Poster

Talking

Yung Kee is also at airport!

https://www.hongkongairport.com/eng/...f/yungkee.html

If Kams (or Yat Lok) is too busy or I'm too early for dinner BBQ then plan-b is to head a little earlier to Airport and have something at Yung Kee.

My flight leaves just after 7pm, and I was planning to catch the AE from Central before 5:30 (will already have a boarding pass). I will just catch it before 5pm.

If I get goose at the YK (it's near my gate in departure area), will I be able to take it on the plane?

Last edited by pseudo; Mar 21, 2017 at 2:57 am Reason: Duck Duck Goose!
Old Mar 21, 2017, 4:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by tentseller
THW do a few dim sums and do it very well. Expect good dim sum and nothing more.
I have seen their negative review and they seem to written by people who have no idea what dim sum is or have high expectation for the ambiance of M1 star dining base on different regions.
Yeah... it's good stuff but they didn't get a Michelin star because of crystal water glasses, linen napkins, artisanal local organic chicken, etc.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.