Search

Pick up SIM cart at Futian / Lok Ma Chau

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2016, 3:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: FB Gold
Pick up SIM cart at Futian / Lok Ma Chau

My Chinese mobile does not work in HK.
When I cross from Shenzhen at Futian / Lok Ma Chau is it possible to pick up a cheap or free? SIM for use in HK?

- I am only staying two days and will only need make one or two calls to arrange a meeting
Old Oct 4, 2016, 8:58 am

Sheung Shui is the first stop on the MTR after the border, and outside the station on the street there's usually a gaggle of vendors selling various flavours of SIM cards. I don't vouch for what they're selling, just telling you they're usually there. If you're coming from the Mainland, this will be the street exit on the opposite side of the tracks.

(If you've got Skype or the equivalent, it's pretty easy to find free WIFI in HK for making just a few calls. Of course if you're expecting a call-back that's not too convenient.)
Old Oct 4, 2016, 2:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by MANman
My Chinese mobile does not work in HK.
When I cross from Shenzhen at Futian / Lok Ma Chau is it possible to pick up a cheap or free? SIM for use in HK?

- I am only staying two days and will only need make one or two calls to arrange a meeting
It might be easier to simply activate roaming on your Chinese sim. For both Mobile and Unicom, only a two minute phone phone call is required. Note that if you are not in your sim's home city/province, you might need to prepend with a city code in order to reach the right customer service center. And, assuming your sim is pre paid, you may need to top it up to around ~200. Customer service will give you specific instructions on this. Roaming in HK/Macau is honestly pretty cheap if you don't go crazy with calls or data usage.
Old Oct 4, 2016, 2:28 pm

I thought we had a discussion earlier about the need -- at least with some companies in some places -- to make about a 500RMB pre-payment before they'd open up roaming outside the Mainland on a prepaid SIM. That was certainly what I was told I had to pay.
Old Oct 4, 2016, 3:20 pm

Originally Posted by 889
I thought we had a discussion earlier about the need -- at least with some companies in some places -- to make about a 500RMB pre-payment before they'd open up roaming outside the Mainland on a prepaid SIM. That was certainly what I was told I had to pay.
Unicom (Shanghai) only requests y200 these days, and seems pretty willing to waive this requirement for established customers IME.
Old Oct 4, 2016, 4:00 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold, IHG Gold, OZ*G, AA Gold, AS MVP
China Mobile Shanghai also only requests 200RMB balance be available before they will activate roaming.
Old Oct 4, 2016, 11:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by MANman
I am only staying two days and will only need make one or two calls to arrange a meeting
Is roaming from your home country an option?
Old Oct 5, 2016, 3:51 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
You can buy SIMs in Sheung Shui (as suggested upthread) but rather than a random street vendor just go to a 7-Eleven or even a phone store. However I presume you can last an hour without a phone connection while you travel to wherever you are staying. So if roaming isn't what you want, then make any essential calls before leaving the mainland and get a SIM when you arrive at your accommodation.

However if you really only need to make one or two calls then just call from your hotel. Local calls between landlines are free and lots of hotels have phones in the lobbies, or at least they used to, and they shouldn't charge for calls from the front desk usually.
Old Oct 5, 2016, 6:33 am

Note that the mobile operators offer a confusing variety of SIM packages, and the convenience stores often don't seem to stock all of them. It's also difficult there in the store to browse through the fine print on all the packs to see what each offers. Actually, same on the street. So best to look at the Prepaid SIM section of the operators' websites first and decide what packs work best for you.
Old Oct 6, 2016, 2:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: FB Gold
Thanks for all the helpful replies
Summary:
## Try activate roaming on your Chinese SIM and ask them to waive the fixed fee for this
## Get off MTR at Sheung Shui station - the next stop from the border : street vendors are waiting onthe street outside that station
## Buy a SIM from a 7-11 store

I have bought a SIM from HK 7-11 stores in the past - and yes its very random and difficult to know what you are buying, but you do get some service.
Old Oct 6, 2016, 2:47 am

There is no fee to activate roaming on Chinese Sims, just a minimum balance requirement initially, but once you're activated, this no longer matters.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.