Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Hong Kong and Macau
Reload this Page >

36 hour layover in Hong Kong-Where to stay, what to do?

Old Oct 1, 2016, 8:03 pm
Original Poster

I have a layover in HK in Jan on my way to Perth from the US. Pieced together a trip in J using miles and cannot get any flights closer together as of yet.

Looking to not break the bank so ideally $200 or less per night if possible. I don't know the city at all. I like to shop and eat, although it will only be window shopping. Ease of access to transport to and from airport is ideal. This is just a stop over on the way to a long holiday. I arrive Fri at 7pm and leave Sunday at 8am.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by jonnyz1245; Oct 1, 2016 at 8:09 pm
Old Oct 2, 2016, 4:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by jonnyz1245
Looking to not break the bank so ideally $200 or less per night if possible.
It may be tough depending on when exact you will arrive in January.

Some serious concession may have to be made.

Ease of access to transport to and from airport is ideal.
Most hotels can do that. Taxis are not expensive.
Old Oct 2, 2016, 10:31 am
Original Poster

Arrive Jan 20 in early evening and leave Jan 22nd early morning.
Old Oct 2, 2016, 4:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Arrive Jan 20 in early evening and leave Jan 22nd early morning.
Plenty of good choices.

However - think this before you book - since you will be departing at 8 am, I am pretty much sure that taxis will be the only suitable transportation to the airport (while overnight bus is an option, it is highly unreliable due to its scheduling).

Taxis at that hour should not be demanding given the date. However, you may have to prepare that the hotel may have to call one for you (extra charge applies) as taxis may not wait outside hotels.

This is something you will have to factor in for your hotel's location.
Old Oct 2, 2016, 7:35 pm
Suspended

Programs: None any more
Originally Posted by garykung
However - think this before you book - since you will be departing at 8 am, I am pretty much sure that taxis will be the only suitable transportation to the airport (while overnight bus is an option, it is highly unreliable due to its scheduling).
Eh? The first Airport Express train arrives at the Airport at 06:14, which is PLENTY of time to catch an 8am departure, and you could do in-town checkin up until 6:30am for an 8am flight, meaning you could catch any of the first 5 or 6 departures of the train and be fine.
Old Oct 18, 2016, 12:41 am

Programs: Emirates Skywards Silver
is that AUS$, US$ or, hopefully not, HK$
Old Oct 18, 2016, 5:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
Novotel currently have a sale on until Friday.

Their property in Wanchai is just a shade over US$100/nt for your dates including tax and breakfast.

Wanchai is party central but it's safe and you're very close to both Causeway Bay and Admiralty for shopping.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.