Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Hong Kong and Macau
Reload this Page >

Transit at HKG - Security charge payable before boarding?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17, 2016, 5:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry

Had an interesting experience on a recent HKG connection. I was on an award redemption. Arrived HKG in United Global First, departed on Thai Airways First Class. All one ticket.

When I arrived at the gate to board, I was informed that there was an amount due on my ticket for a HKG security charge and that I would need to pay it before I would be allowed to board.

I tried to pay with a credit card, but was told it needed to be cash. I had a $10 USD bill, so they ran to an exchange booth and returned with some HKG coins as change. I did receive a receipt. Looks like I was charged $6.50 USD, if I am reading this thing correctly. Rmks are "Good FR Q5.8 HKG Security Charge".

Anyone know what this is about?
Old Sep 17, 2016, 8:22 am

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
Looks like you got hit with the 70 HKD one for short haul/transit, although it sounds like you only paid 50 HKG. http://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/e...rge-fund-third Could be wrong as you said security charge and this is to fund a runway and the amount is off though by a few USD.

edit: Looks like this is actually it, as SIN comes to 49 HKD, which is what you paid, and it is security. https://www.hongkongairport.com/eng/...s/pr_1128.html
Old Sep 17, 2016, 8:36 am

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL
Oh wow! I am a bit surprised they bothered with this, an international connection security charge which has to be paid in cash in local currency. Normally it is just included in the taxes and fees when you book.

It happened to me once about 20 years ago. I used to try to fly SQ as much as possible and my company always booked me in full C. Intra Asia fare differences between full C and F always seemed to be around 100 USD regardless of where I was going so I would usually pay the difference at the airport and get a much better flight experience. As well as all the Dom you could drink....

My schedule everything month on Sunday had me flying from Hong Kong to Tokyo and due to company travel policy I was on United. I always exchanged that ticket for two SQ flights, one from HKG-TPE on SQ and then connecting to TPE-NRT on SQ. So I pay my 100 USD and fly SQ first on both segments, great for maintaining my PPS status level.

Once I learned there was a delay on the second flight so I decided to clear Taiwan immigration and wait in the lounge. While in the lounge two SQ employees came running up to me, pointing to me and basically said "THERE HE IS! WE FOUND HIM!" They said that I owed SQ money and had not fully paid for my ticket. Rebooked as a connection the security fee had been included but not the departing passenger service fee. It was a bit offputting but everyone in the lounge had a good laugh after they left, it was a lot of drama for the equivalent of 2 USD.

They made me pay the 60 NTD in cash and told me I could never do that again. I wrote a complaint letter to SQ after that and did get a nice apology letter, a rarity from SQ.
Old Sep 17, 2016, 9:48 am
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
Although UA was the carrier for OP's arrival in Hong Kong, better discussion might shed even more light on this topic, if considered in FT's Hong Kong forum. I'll move it there. Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator.
Old Sep 17, 2016, 10:33 am
Suspended

Programs: None any more
Seems to me that this was a mistake by United (or whoever issued your ticket) not to charge the necessary taxes/charges at that time.
Old Sep 18, 2016, 3:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Yes, it was certainly not something that was collected by United. I was more curious if it was a new charge that wasn't in effect when I booked the ticket, or if United just failed to collect appropriately at the time.

The link provided by Fastair indicates the charge took affect back in 2014, so seems like a pretty major failure by United. I thought they could get in trouble for a post-sale price increase, but don't think that is going to be discussed much in the Hong Kong forum now.
Old Sep 18, 2016, 4:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by goodeats21
Yes, it was certainly not something that was collected by United.
Originally Posted by christep
Seems to me that this was a mistake by United (or whoever issued your ticket) not to charge the necessary taxes/charges at that time.
Has OP's ticket been changed in ANY way?
Old Sep 18, 2016, 5:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
I got hit with this at checkin two days ago on a SE Asia award ticket.

The amount was 50HKD and when I gave the supervisor my credit card was told there was a 3% fee for cc usage so I forked over the cash: "This is not an airline charge, it is the government" I was told.

According to said supervisor he's seeing it in conjunction with UA award tix.

ETA: I was also taking TG to BKK.

Last edited by dsquared37; Sep 18, 2016 at 5:58 pm
Old Sep 18, 2016, 6:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes, it was certainly not something that was collected by United. I was more curious if it was a new charge that wasn't in effect when I booked the ticket, or if United just failed to collect appropriately at the time.

The link provided by Fastair indicates the charge took affect back in 2014, so seems like a pretty major failure by United. I thought they could get in trouble for a post-sale price increase, but don't think that is going to be discussed much in the Hong Kong forum now.
I also inquired if this fee had recently been implemented and was told no.
Old Sep 19, 2016, 3:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by garykung
Has OP's ticket been changed in ANY way?
No, not changed in any way from when it was originally purchased.

Originally Posted by dsquared37
I got hit with this at checkin two days ago on a SE Asia award ticket.

The amount was 50HKD and when I gave the supervisor my credit card was told there was a 3% fee for cc usage so I forked over the cash: "This is not an airline charge, it is the government" I was told.

According to said supervisor he's seeing it in conjunction with UA award tix.

ETA: I was also taking TG to BKK.
Well, that is interesting. Confirms there are some issues with tax computation / collection on United Award tickets.
Old Sep 19, 2016, 4:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
No, not changed in any way from when it was originally purchased.
That's odd.

Have OP contacted UA in anyway after this?
Old Sep 19, 2016, 9:01 am
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
Moderator note

We've had a request to move this thread back to the United forum as the levy by HKG appears to have something to do with the underlying United award ticket. At this time, there does not seem to be evidence to make it clear what the basis is for the charge, other than it's levied by the HKG government.

I'll continue to monitor the thread and, if it's clarified to be more of a UA airline issue, then I'll certainly move it back to the United forum. Ocn Vw 1K, Senior Moderator and Moderator, United forum.
Old Sep 19, 2016, 9:41 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Oneworld, *A; Hilton, SPG
These charges are usually collected by the airline during ticketing - and if only implemented after ticketing, then absorbed by the airline... At least that was my understanding.
Old Sep 19, 2016, 11:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jdtravels
These charges are usually collected by the airline during ticketing - and if only implemented after ticketing, then absorbed by the airline... At least that was my understanding.
TG in BKK has a habit of requesting unpaid fees from pax so perhaps this is a situation where 1) UA is not charging pax properly and 2) TG is loathe to do anything but collect it in a CYA approach.

It would be constructive to know if anyone on a UA issued award with a segment exHKG but on UA/SQ/NH/ET/LH/LX etc was assessed this fee at checkin/gate.
Old Sep 19, 2016, 9:13 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
There should be 3 charges departing HKG.

Hong Kong Air Passenger Departure Tax (HK) HK$120.00
HKIA Security Surcharge HK$45 - Airline usually include this within the fare; thus this does not show in ITA. CX started passing this onto award passenger last year. Captured as Q in fare calculation if charged. This fee has been around since 2002.
Hong Kong Airport Construction Fee (G3) HK$90.00 - This was introduced this year.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.