Reload this Page >

Octopus card reloading for non-HK residents

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Octopus card reloading for non-HK residents

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2016, 8:44 pm

And just for completeness's sake, you don't need a HK-issued credit card for AAVS. Some banks will instead give you an Octopus debit card, with AAVS reloads coming out of your current account.
Old Sep 21, 2016, 10:41 pm
Accor Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: CX MPC GO, IHG, OZ, NH (no longer UA MP*G thanks to SMJ)(no longer A3 *G due to COVID))
Have an inactive octopus card?

Talking about octopus card, good luck to fellow FTers:

"If you find an inactive On-Loan Octopus at home that without add value and usage for 3 years or longer*, you may win a prize! From now until 31 October 2016, you can join the lucky draw by just reactivating such Octopus..."

http://www.octopus.com.hk/latest-pro.../en/index.html
Old Sep 21, 2016, 11:58 pm

Programs: Emirates Skywards Silver
I may well be wrong but dont you have to be a Hong Kong resident to have a HK issued Credit Card. I would have thought that you would need an HK address to get one
Old Sep 22, 2016, 1:29 am

Different banks may have different policies but I somehow have the impression that there's a credit bureau in HK which links only to HK ID card numbers, and without an ID card number a bank can't get the necessary credit report on an applicant. But that's only my impression.
Old Sep 22, 2016, 8:29 pm
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Originally Posted by royng
"If you find an inactive On-Loan Octopus at home that without add value and usage for 3 years or longer*, you may win a prize! From now until 31 October 2016, you can join the lucky draw by just reactivating such Octopus..."
What is the point of this promotion?? Don't they want to keep customers' money?

Whenever I come to HK I usually buy a new card and sell any cards older than 3 months.

Originally Posted by 889
Originally Posted by steveben53
I may well be wrong but dont you have to be a Hong Kong resident to have a HK issued Credit Card. I would have thought that you would need an HK address to get one
Different banks may have different policies but I somehow have the impression that there's a credit bureau in HK which links only to HK ID card numbers, and without an ID card number a bank can't get the necessary credit report on an applicant. But that's only my impression.
The Hong Kong immigration definition of "resident" is different from elsewhere (and therefore the definition used by banks). You don't necessarily need an HK address or income to have a credit card, but you need to have resident status, which some people can have/keep without setting foot in HK for a long time.
Old Sep 23, 2016, 11:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by :D!
You don't necessarily need an HK address or income to have a credit card, but you need to have resident status, which some people can have/keep without setting foot in HK for a long time.
36 months between exit and entry. HKIS entry system will flag your entry if your last exit was more than 36 months. You can lose your right to stay and work if you were not "Made in HK".
Old Sep 23, 2016, 5:29 pm
Suspended

Programs: None any more
Originally Posted by tentseller
You can lose your right to stay and work if you were not "Made in HK".
No, that's simply not true. The 36 month rule only applies to those who acquired Right of Abode through 7 years continuous Ordinary Residence whilst not being a Chinese citizen, but if, for those in that situation, you lose the Right of Abode through then not touching HK for 36 months you are simply downgraded to Right to Land. You still have the right to live and work in HK - you lose the right to vote, and some other minor stuff.

Moreover, being "made in HK" (by which I assume you mean born here) doesn't give you the Right of Abode automatically - it depends on your citizenship and the status of your parents.
Old Sep 25, 2016, 2:04 am

Originally Posted by christep
No, that's simply not true. The 36 month rule only applies to those who acquired Right of Abode through 7 years continuous Ordinary Residence whilst not being a Chinese citizen, but if, for those in that situation, you lose the Right of Abode through then not touching HK for 36 months you are simply downgraded to Right to Land. You still have the right to live and work in HK - you lose the right to vote, and some other minor stuff.

Moreover, being "made in HK" (by which I assume you mean born here) doesn't give you the Right of Abode automatically - it depends on your citizenship and the status of your parents.
Correct. "Other minor stuff" I think is just the right to not be deported after a jail sentence for major crimes.

The 36 month rule also applies to those who were unofficially given Right of Abode based on descent from a PRC(HK) citizen but are not PRC(HK) citizens themselves (although such people may have incorrectly received an HK passport had they applied before 2008) and did not stay in HK for 7 years in order to earn RoA in their own right.
Old Oct 9, 2016, 11:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by christep

Correct. "Other minor stuff" I think is just the right to not be deported after a jail sentence for major crimes.

The 36 month rule also applies to those who were unofficially given Right of Abode based on descent from a PRC(HK) citizen but are not PRC(HK) citizens themselves (although such people may have incorrectly received an HK passport had they applied before 2008) and did not stay in HK for 7 years in order to earn RoA in their own right.
Reading this picks my curiosity - my husband is not born in Hong Kong but he is an ex government servant. We returned to Hong Kong to get our HKID and HKSAR passport in 2012 because the HKSAR passport can travel to far more places without visa than US passport. When he applied for his status, he used category 2 or whatever it was, that he was naturalized British subject and some more criteria, that fit the most to his situation. At the "interview" the immigration officer crossed out that category but put him to the 7 years category instead WITHOUT ever requiring him to submit any docs (the HKG government would have every bit of his history of employment and everything else).
While we returned to HKG several times since then and particularly frequent since 2015 due to our travel plans (passing thru 3 times this year alone), HKG is never a place we make a specific trip for. So if we do not set foot in HKG, say, between 2017 and 2020, he would lose his Right to Abode? But based on what you said, the "loss" is relatively trivial, in certain sense, so nothing to worry about?
Old Oct 10, 2016, 4:43 am

my husband is not born in Hong Kong but he is an ex government servant. We returned to Hong Kong to get our HKID and HKSAR passport in 2012 because the HKSAR passport can travel to far more places without visa than US passport.
He was given an HKSAR passport based on 7 years' residence despite being a US citizen after 2008?? Is he of Chinese descent?

So if we do not set foot in HKG, say, between 2017 and 2020, he would lose his Right to Abode? But based on what you said, the "loss" is relatively trivial, in certain sense, so nothing to worry about?
If he doesn't have an HKSAR passport, then yes he could lose RoA, but it doesn't matter if HK is not going to be your home (and you can regain RoA with a further 7 years' residence)

If he has an HKSAR passport then he can't lose RoA even if he never goes to HK again, but I don't understand how he would get one unless he renounced his US citizenship or is regarded as a PRC(HK) citizen by descent (Chinese ancestors who were not permanent residents of his birth country at the time he was born).

btw, it's piques not picks

Originally Posted by Happy
Reading this picks my curiosity
Old Oct 14, 2016, 12:25 am

Programs: Whatever fleeces my wallet the least
He could get it without renouncing his US citizenship because HKSAR doesn't check. But if he voluntarily applied for and was granted a British national status prior to 1997, then that could have jeopardized his US citizenship. As an example, if his parents applied while he was still a minor in Hong Kong, then the US citizenship wouldn't be at risk.

He was given an HKSAR passport based on 7 years' residence despite being a US citizen after 2008?? Is he of Chinese descent?

If he doesn't have an HKSAR passport, then yes he could lose RoA, but it doesn't matter if HK is not going to be your home (and you can regain RoA with a further 7 years' residence)

If he has an HKSAR passport then he can't lose RoA even if he never goes to HK again, but I don't understand how he would get one unless he renounced his US citizenship or is regarded as a PRC(HK) citizen by descent (Chinese ancestors who were not permanent residents of his birth country at the time he was born).

btw, it's piques not picks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.