Search

Best place for XLB

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2016, 9:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
XLB in HK:
DTF is certainly ok. queues are crazy tho
there is also Crystal Jade in HK that does decent XLB. they do have queues but not the street style ones. avoid the IFC shop as they only care about the turnover (applies to every eatery at IFC unless you know the big shots of the restaurant there - im saying this even tho i know cuisine cuisine in IFC quite well.) this is not as obvious in many other places in HK but in IFC its very big difference.
There is also a nicer version of crystal jade at wanchai by the tram line at Tai Yau Building. they claim to use pork of the iberico family. it cost almost twice as a normal Crystal jade, but it has thinner skin and is soupier and doesnt break as easy. took an FTer there last week and she liked it much.

forget about having XLB on the streets in hk. either they are bad or they dont exist.
OTOH, for wanting street food, near Lyndhurst Terrace x Hollywood Road by SOHO there is a Hongkie foodstall that sells decent dessert. I believe its at Hollywood Road x Peel street.

Last edited by kaka; Sep 20, 2016 at 9:26 pm
Old Sep 21, 2016, 1:06 am
Original Poster

Agree that Crystal Jade's XLB's are pretty good. I don't think it's anything spectacular, as I've had equally good XLB's at a few of the regular Cantonese dim sum restaurants. But it's pretty darn good for the price. What really blew me away, though, was their hairy crab XLB.

I've been to Crystal Jade at Harbour City, IFC and Admiralty. Honestly can't tell a difference in food quality between the 3 locations. Went to IFC and did not feel hurried, but then again we went mid-afternoon during off-peak hours. My favorite out of the above is probably Harbour City.
Old Sep 21, 2016, 9:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Real SHers in HK dine at private members and guests only SH business and social clubs.
Old Sep 21, 2016, 9:46 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by tentseller
Real SHers in HK dine at private members and guests only SH business and social clubs.
Rich Shanghai people tend to look down upon 小笼包.
Old Sep 21, 2016, 10:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by moondog
Rich Shanghai people tend to look down upon 小笼包.
When you look at the root and history of XLB you will understand.

Don't forget the prosperity of HK during the second half of the last century was due to the massive migration from SH in the late 1940's
Old Oct 5, 2016, 9:18 pm

Programs: ex-UA 1K, AA EXP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Hoyaheel
My friends and I call that the lemming theory and it's worked well for most of my travel experiences. Failed me in Prague one late night, but otherwise, mostly good!
Find the local lemmings who will lead you to the good stuff. The tourist lemmings are ones who blindly follow guide books. But then again it depends on whether or not you're the discerning type.

I've found that most tourists in HK go for the same few shops found in guidebooks - this place for dim sum, this place for goose, this place for wonton. If you did a blind taste test between these places and their competitors, I'm not sure if you'd find a big enough difference to justify the wait and/or price.
Old Oct 5, 2016, 10:17 pm

Originally Posted by triplefives
Find the local lemmings who will lead you to the good stuff. The tourist lemmings are ones who blindly follow guide books. But then again it depends on whether or not you're the discerning type.

I've found that most tourists in HK go for the same few shops found in guidebooks - this place for dim sum, this place for goose, this place for wonton. If you did a blind taste test between these places and their competitors, I'm not sure if you'd find a big enough difference to justify the wait and/or price.
In addition to professional reviews of new places and personal recommendations, I find open rice to be useful in HK and dianping solid for almost everywhere I go in the mainland (even obscure cities).
Old Oct 6, 2016, 1:40 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
The other day my friends (a mixture of local HKers and English-speaking people of HK descent) dragged me to the DTF in Causeway Bay.

Since it was likely the only time I will ever set foot in a DTF, I decided to try most of the different "flavors" of XLB. Frankly speaking they were all dry and doughy and bland. Certainly not worth paying HK$20+ for one.

I'd rather have them in various local restaurants that my relatives take me to for a normal lunch, which usually go for about HK$20ish per 籠 (i.e. 4 XLBs). And we don't go to cheap places which sprinkle MSG on everything.
Old Oct 6, 2016, 1:52 am

Originally Posted by Hoyaheel
(actually, thinking of doing a breakfast pho tour in SGN;
Actually Saigon is not know for pho. Hanoi is. But pho in Vietnam is disappointing if you are coming from California
Old Oct 6, 2016, 1:54 am

Originally Posted by Madone59
Try Osama Tony. Jordan Station MTR stop.
I tried it. Was not impressed. Skin is not paper thin. It is spicy so different
Old Oct 6, 2016, 7:34 am

Programs: Delta Gold, silver, what yr is it?
Originally Posted by moondog
I find open rice to be useful in HK and dianping solid for almost everywhere I go in the mainland (even obscure cities).
I tried using it and so many reviews were (understandably) not in English that I could not find it helpful. Also, overwhelming (but then much of planning this trip has been, so....)

Actually Saigon is not know for pho. Hanoi is. But pho in Vietnam is disappointing if you are coming from California
1. I don't live in CA, I live on the opposite coast. And we have NO Vietnamese food at all within 50 miles of my house, unless I'm cooking it, so....
2. We're not going to be in Hanoi this trip, and the pho tour is the only thing that fits in our schedule, so that's what we're doing. I'm certain we'll be satisfied.
Old Oct 6, 2016, 6:39 pm

Originally Posted by :D!
Since it was likely the only time I will ever set foot in a DTF, I decided to try most of the different "flavors" of XLB. Frankly speaking they were all dry and doughy and bland. Certainly not worth paying HK$20+ for one..
I'm pretty sure in Din Tai Fung XLB is $60-80 for 6 XLBs, unless you're getting one of the special ones like black truffle. Not quite twenty dollars each, much closer to ten!

Local restaurants don't really offer XLB - at least from the ones I have been to don't.
Old Oct 6, 2016, 6:53 pm

Originally Posted by TravelDream
I'm pretty sure in Din Tai Fung XLB is $60-80 for 6 XLBs, unless you're getting one of the special ones like black truffle. Not quite twenty dollars each, much closer to ten!

Local restaurants don't really offer XLB - at least from the ones I have been to don't.
I go to my local dtf about 1-2 times per month. Since the menu is so limited, I decided to try the black truffle option on one occasion. I'm definitely glad I did because the flavor combination is quite unique. That having been said, it is not something I would order again unless a truffle enthusiast was visiting.
Old Oct 7, 2016, 3:29 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
re DTF: the causeway bay branch (next to regal) is terrible. The Tsim Sha Tsui branch is much better.
re XLB in general: local dimsum places (say Maxims)... their XLB has skin as thick as bad dumplings. ie. bad..
you've gotta go to the better SH food places, but not TOO GOOD as mentioned above.

and for californian pho: would california roll be a better piece of sushi? unless the sole reason is fresher ingredients in CA as compared to hanoi (which is possible),
pho in Vietnam is disappointing if you are coming from California
sounds like a funny statement.
Old Oct 12, 2016, 6:59 pm

Originally Posted by kaka
and for californian pho: would california roll be a better piece of sushi? unless the sole reason is fresher ingredients in CA as compared to hanoi (which is possible),
sounds like a funny statement.
There are a lot of Vietnamese in California. Look it up if you don't believe me.
There are definitely better and fresher ingredients, and also a different pricepoint (in Vietnam pho is a cheap thing. But in California it costs a little bit more). So you get more marrow stewing for longer periods of time, for example, than in Vietnam.
But if you look it up, there are articles written about this difference in taste between California and Vietnam (there is even a chain in Vietnam that is from a Vietnamese guy in California).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.