Community
Wiki Posts
Search

HKG to JFK or LAX - sleep?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4, 2016, 7:57 am
Original Poster

HKG to JFK or LAX - sleep?

Hi - a bit of an unusual question - I am looking to fly from HKG to either LAX or JFK. Trying for business class but it seems booked. Quick question - is this flight 100% in the day time, usually? Meaning, if you are in theory awake the entire flight - and a lie flat bed isnt really required - then I assume premium economy is fine?

Hope the question is clear.
Old Sep 4, 2016, 5:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
It is not that clear actually.

However, regardless HKG-LAX/JFK, you eventually have to sleep somehow. Due to time zone difference, taking a morning/afternoon flights from HKG means you will arrive at LAX/JFK in the morning (HKG midnight), and vice versa.

If you can sleep on the PEY seat, then you will not need lie flat seat.
Old Sep 4, 2016, 5:50 pm
Original Poster

Thanks. Never flown on Cathay Premium Economy - anyone ever slept on one?
Old Sep 5, 2016, 3:55 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Originally Posted by jakemalloy
Somewhat more comfortable than US domestic F seats so lots of people have slept on one but few would pick it as a first choice. Big difference to J (hence the lack of award availability).
Old Sep 5, 2016, 9:43 pm

Programs: IHG Platinum
Hi - a bit of an unusual question - I am looking to fly from HKG to either LAX or JFK. Trying for business class but it seems booked. Quick question - is this flight 100% in the day time, usually? Meaning, if you are in theory awake the entire flight - and a lie flat bed isnt really required - then I assume premium economy is fine?

Hope the question is clear.
Have done the HKG -LAX route in Economy (was a day time service if i remember right).. they invariably anyway get everyone to down the window blinds post the meal service & try and get u into sleep mode...
Old Sep 5, 2016, 10:02 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
It is very 'sleep-able' as long as you get the seats with legrests. It is also one of the most comfortable PEY seats out there.

Certain flights (especially mid-day departures) have the 2nd meal served in the middle of the flight. I stay up all the way before that, then sleep for the rest of the flight and arrive refreshed.
Old Sep 6, 2016, 12:37 am

Flights from HKG to N.America leave at all different times of the day. Your ability to sleep and/or how the flight crew manages the shades and cabin light will depend on your flight's timeframe. But regardless of when the plane takes off (including mid-day departure), the lights come off for a good chunk of the flight.

I've flown HKG to ORD, YYZ, YVR, SEA, SFO, etc, etc. Coach vast majority of time. I'm not the most sleep-prone person on the airline, but it's a really long flight and so it's hard not to get some zzz's even on coach. Premium economy seats on Cathay, ANA and EVA are substantially better than coach.
Old Sep 6, 2016, 8:47 am
Original Poster

Thanks. This is great feedback. I am not a sleep prone person, and this flight would be at the end of our vacation, so its not 100% critical I arrive home refreshed - I am not working, and we arrive on a Friday.

Any particular departure time you think is best for HKG to JFK if sleep isnt the top priority?
Old Sep 6, 2016, 12:22 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
Thanks. This is great feedback. I am not a sleep prone person, and this flight would be at the end of our vacation, so its not 100% critical I arrive home refreshed - I am not working, and we arrive on a Friday.

Any particular departure time you think is best for HKG to JFK if sleep isnt the top priority?
the 9am departure would have a mid flight meal. If so, I would say sleep after that only, so that effectively becomes a long nap before having half a day left in NYC, not much jet lag.

the 4pm departure is quite good as you can have dinner, sleep, wake up and have a few hours (or more) left inflight, a few more hours before bedtime on ground afterwards, not much jet lag as well.

the 6pm departure (or 5pm to EWR if applicable) is similar to the 4pm but just a bit too late in terms of arrival time just in case you sleep well onboard and that would result into jetlag.

as for the 1am departure through YVR, don't try it...
Old Sep 6, 2016, 11:04 pm

G-CIVC breaks it down well.

But since you're not concerned with sleep / jetlag, etc, it really just comes down to: 1).price; 2).what you hope to accomplish on your last day in HKG.

If I'm catching a noon flight, I'd have to leave the hotel by 9.45am (I usually like to get to the HK or Kowloon station for Airport Express at least 2hr before the flight departure). That basically means you're just packing up to leave on the last day. On the other hand, a 3pm departure leaves open the possibility for one last dim sum, last-minute shopping, etc.
Old Dec 9, 2016, 10:54 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus, MM, McDonalds Million Burgers
The united flight from HKG to ORD leaves at 11am and if your timing is good,
you still have time for a meal at HKIA.

also the economy plus seats are better than the exit row that is at the front
of the non-economy-plus seats.

sleep depends on whether you can sleep in a seat with limited rake. I watched
about six movies and dozed off several times.
Old Dec 10, 2016, 12:32 am

I've taken economy, prem economy, and business on CX to LAX and JFK.

Economy is tight but still better than most airlines.

Premium Economy is great, I think there's tons of leg room and the TV screen is larger. Not lie flat but still much better than economy.

Business of course is awesome.

Time wise, I prefer to arrive at my destination at night, whether that's HKG or US. After I arrive I'm usually tired so after a few hours of settling in I'll just go back to sleep. Morning arrivals always take me longer to get over jetlag.
Old Jan 4, 2017, 8:04 pm

Location: exUA1K, UA MM, lifetime UA1P, AA MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by G-CIVC
the 9am departure would have a mid flight meal. If so, I would say sleep after that only, so that effectively becomes a long nap before having half a day left in NYC, not much jet lag.

the 4pm departure is quite good as you can have dinner, sleep, wake up and have a few hours (or more) left inflight, a few more hours before bedtime on ground afterwards, not much jet lag as well.

the 6pm departure (or 5pm to EWR if applicable) is similar to the 4pm but just a bit too late in terms of arrival time just in case you sleep well onboard and that would result into jetlag.

as for the 1am departure through YVR, don't try it...
Even if I was in First, I would hate the 9am departure since I'd leave my hotel by 6am....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.