Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Fancy cocktail?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2016, 9:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Gold, silver, what yr is it?
Fancy cocktail?

I've been looking and haven't found any threads on a good place to go for a cocktail in Hong Kong (PLEASE - if I've missed a great thread because I'm not searching properly, point me to it!!^)

My husband likes to go out for a fancy cocktail once during a trip. Any recommendations for Hong Kong? We tend to prefer "old school" to new & trendy (we are not trendy people) For instance, in Shanghai (my husband's first trip to Asia) we had drinks at the Long Bar in the Waldorf Astoria hotel.

[background on the trip - we're taking a cruise, SIN to HKG, so we have a few nights in SIN at the start of the trip, then 10 nights on the cruise stopping in Bangkok & Ho Chi Minh City, ending up in HKG - so I'll take cocktail recommendations for any of those cities if you have a suggestion!]^

Thanks!!
Old Aug 27, 2016, 6:04 pm

While I haven't gone yet, it is on my to do list the next time I'm there (maybe next week)...check out Foxglove. old speakeasy jazz place.
Old Aug 27, 2016, 8:33 pm

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
Ham & Sherry has a good staff.

In Singapore, 28 HongKong Street is the place to start. SQ bars turn over really fast but that's a standard—start there and ask the bartenders where to go next.
Old Aug 27, 2016, 9:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Maybe Lily & Bloom or Captain's Bar. I haven't been to the Artesian or Aqua.

Singapore: agree with 28 HongKong Street. Also Manhattan.
Old Aug 28, 2016, 4:55 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Felix (top of Peninsula hotel) is probably the place for fancy cocktails though it is primarily a restaurant but the bar is superb and quite accessible. Expensive but memorable.
Old Aug 28, 2016, 6:16 am
Original Poster

Those look great - thanks so much!!
Old Aug 28, 2016, 7:05 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

The bar in the island shangri-la also fits the bill.
Old Aug 28, 2016, 1:06 pm

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Platinum, Accor Gold
Old school isn't very HK unfortunately (apart from the Captain's Bar) but if you can cope with modern, there are LOTS of good places for cocktails. Of course it depends on when you're visiting (time of year and day of the week) as to how busy/irritatingly trendy places are.

My personal favourites when I lived in HK were Sevva (service is painfully slow but the drinks and view make it worth it), MO Bar (at the Landmark Mandarin Oriental), Sugar (at the East hotel), the bar at Zuma and Armani Prive. Armani Prive, Sevva and Sugar all have outdoor terraces with seating so are lovely as long as the weather isn't too humid. Armani Prive is probably a bit on the trendy side for your tastes although it can be quite entertaining watching people being so desperate to impress.

The only old school place I can think of (not including the Captain's Bar - which is pleasant but full of tourists) is Alfie's. Alfie's is a restaurant and bar that's a joint venture between Alfred Dunhill and KEE private members club. I've only ever drank champagne there (oops!) and/or eaten (the food is good!) so can't vouch for the cocktails but I'm sure they won't be shabby as nothing at Alfie's is.

Note that Alfie's, Sevva, the bar at Zuma and MO Bar are literally within a few mins walk of each other (in air conditioned comfort!) so maybe you could do a mini-tour and see which suits your tastes best.
Old Aug 28, 2016, 2:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bibbju
Old school isn't very HK unfortunately (apart from the Captain's Bar) but if you can cope with modern, there are LOTS of good places for cocktails. Of course it depends on when you're visiting (time of year and day of the week) as to how busy/irritatingly trendy places are.
OK, I can handle modern but absolutely not "irritatingly trendy"!! I'm a street food sort of person (which, ok, is its own sort of trendy these days, but I digress)

Our stay will be a Sat & Sun in December. We'll be staying at the Hotel Icon, so, TST, but I'm sure we'll be exploring and can make arrangements to sample along the way. Thanks!
Old Sep 10, 2016, 10:12 am

If you want to try a speakeasy or hidden bar, try Stockton at 32 Wyndham Street in Central. No sign out front, but you enter down a long dark hallway into an upstairs bar with a old gentlemens club feel. Interesting cocktails and small bites. When we were there it was a more quiet choice than some of the more standard bars.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.