Reasons to visit HK

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Reasons to visit HK

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2017, 9:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

HK is a nice place to visit for a short time. I mainly go there now for a quick day or two biz trip and to change RMB to USD as it's such a hassle to do on the mainland. There is a great place to run along the hong ham promenade that I enjoy running along for an hour or two in the evening.

I don't really agree about the octopus suggestions. HK is way behind their northern neighbors when it comes to mobile or contactless payments. Why not encourage we chat pay or zhifubao more extensively?
Old Feb 26, 2017, 10:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by travelinmanS
HK is a nice place to visit for a short time. I mainly go there now for a quick day or two biz trip and to change RMB to USD as it's such a hassle to do on the mainland.

I don't really agree about the octopus suggestions. HK is way behind their northern neighbors when it comes to mobile or contactless payments. Why not encourage we chat pay or zhifubao more extensively?
You are not the first nor the last to use HK as a personal financial centre without currency exchange control.

The issue with Octapus is the penetration it has into the payment market. Many Hkers use the term "doot" as Octapus payment just like "ding" to heat up food in the microwave. In China the systems are newer so there are newer features and benefits. With auto top up, credit/octapus card combos, non carded options (watch, key fob, SIMs) and the change to $3000 limit many does not see the need for other "non-instant" systems. Another issue is whether the smaller ma and pa operations will bear the cost of a new terminal and/or fee structure.
Old Feb 27, 2017, 6:35 pm

Programs: MP, BR
Originally Posted by travelinmanS

Good question. Ask the bureaucrats first as they are still learning how to use the Octopus card! Wechat pay would be way out of their league.

(For those not based in HK, recently one of the Chief Executive candidates did not know how to use the Octopus card when taking the MTR.)
Old Feb 27, 2017, 7:05 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Chauffeured cars for them right, they don't ride with the rabble?
Old Feb 28, 2017, 12:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by Chromie25
Good question. Ask the bureaucrats first as they are still learning how to use the Octopus card! Wechat pay would be way out of their league.

(For those not based in HK, recently one of the Chief Executive candidates did not know how to use the Octopus card when taking the MTR.)
Originally Posted by wco81
Chauffeured cars for them right, they don't ride with the rabble?
Higher government officials get very nice residences, some of these residences are leftover from the UK rulers. They also get 24/7 chauffeur service in Lexus 4XX, BMW 7's or MB S's.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.