Wiki Posts
Search

Long-term Accomodation Hong Kong

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2016, 11:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: Mainly Hilton Hhonors, SAS Eurobonus
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Shouldn't the son be doing this research?
Well, he asked for my help and I am glad to give it.
He is only 18 years old so I have a certain interest in him getting somewhere to stay that I 'approve' of.
Anyway as mentioned earlier, I'll book him a room for the first month or so and do the ground research into which areas, which kind of lodgings, prices etc.
And then when he's there, he'll have to look for a place himself (armed with my notes...).
And it has been very interesting for me - I have learned a lot about a place that I previously knew very little about.
Old Jul 31, 2016, 11:14 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Rami Tamimi
Regarding the long commute,back in the unversity days I used to commute between East Tsim Sha Tsui and University MTR,which is a 25-30 minute ride. It was really painless and gives you some time "to think",but I accept that not everyone is a fan of this idea.
No, this is a fine commute; I think he was more thinking of the longer ones involving a bus to the metro and then maybe even a change of metro.
And he is quite sold on your idea of a hostel (the North Point though due to location) if he can negotiate a decent price - no extra bills to deal with (electricity, wifi etc), furnished, bed sheets and towels provided.

Last edited by helosc; Jul 31, 2016 at 11:19 am
Old Jul 31, 2016, 11:17 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by helosc
Well, he asked for my help and I am glad to give it.
He is only 18 years old so I have a certain interest in him getting somewhere to stay that I 'approve' of.
Anyway as mentioned earlier, I'll book him a room for the first month or so and do the ground research into which areas, which kind of lodgings, prices etc.
And then when he's there, he'll have to look for a place himself (armed with my notes...).
And it has been very interesting for me - I have learned a lot about a place that I previously knew very little about.
At age 18, will there be any issues with signing a lease in Hong Kong or indeed checking into a hotel? Does he have credit cards?
Old Jul 31, 2016, 11:28 am
Original Poster

At age 18, will there be any issues with signing a lease in Hong Kong or indeed checking into a hotel? Does he have credit cards?
Don't know about a lease but his work could possibly help out there.
No problem checking into a hotel or hostel as far as I am aware - isn't that mainly an issue in the US?
And he has credit cards, of course.
He has been doing a lot of travelling alone (Europe and Israel) for the last 3-4 years so he is very capable.
He could also easily have done this research himself but they are working him hard at work and he has other issues to figure out (visa, insurance, tax...).
Old Jul 31, 2016, 11:29 am

Programs: RJ Gold, AZ E+, Air Asia Platinum
There should not be. I was 18 when I was in the uni and never had a problem with checking in at any hotels (HKID is enough for that),or getting the lease in HK.

I did have problems when I travelled to HK alone at an age of 15. I prepaid for a 2 nights stay at Novotel Kowloon,but they would not let me check in by myself since one must be over 18 to stay at a hotel under HK law. The hotel staff told me that the only option was to ask someone to sign their name for me. Luckily I had a friend over 18 who was not too far away,so he came and signed his name.

PS:I did 100% of the research on accommodation and then gave my parents the details of the "final proposal" (price/location/room type).
Old Jul 31, 2016, 11:31 am

The age of majority is 18 in Hong Kong, so he can legally enter into contracts. That's not to say anyone is obligated to enter into a contract with him. Given his age, his short-term work visa, and his negligible salary, I think he'll be limited to either cash-on-the-barrelhead short-term lodging or a friend-of-a-friend referral.

I also don't think it's too realistic to think that an 18-year-old European guy working in finance around Central, even Causeway Bay, is going to be happy living in a place like Yuen Long no matter how convenient the commute.
Old Jul 31, 2016, 11:45 am
Original Poster

Thank you for confirming that the legal age is indeed 18 in Hong Kong.
I hadn't even considered that this could be an issue until MSPeconomist mentioned it - I am used to Europe.

You are probably right that he might have a problem with a 'proper' lease (also because of the less than a year issue) but a sort of sublease should be possible.

About location : I'll simply present him with all the options and then he'll decide what he wants and/or what is possible - this thread has yielded some very good information about areas, prices, quality and size.
Old Jul 31, 2016, 8:09 pm

Programs: BA Gold, JGC Sapphire, OZ Diamond, AF Silver, CX GR, Marriott Lifetime SL
If you don't mind bit off the path and spend more time in commute (plus more hostel type living), this may be your option

http://www.campushk.com/
Old Aug 1, 2016, 3:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Shouldn't the son be doing this research?
I dare to differ.

OP's son is going to Hong Kong all by himself and with virtually no local support, which is different from any higher education experience, especially when OP is not even around the region at all.

I believe OP should proactively help to ease the process.

The issue will be on the lease.

A lease template in Hong Kong is in Chinese (Traditional), one of the official language. So if you go through the process ordinary, the landlord may not know how to make one in English.

(A friendly reminder - for a lease to be enforceable in Hong Kong, Stamp Duty must be paid by the landlord and the lease will have a metered stamp on it.)
Old Aug 2, 2016, 2:25 am
Suspended

Programs: None any more
Originally Posted by garykung
A lease template in Hong Kong is in Chinese (Traditional), one of the official language. So if you go through the process ordinary, the landlord may not know how to make one in English.
All the (standard form) leases that I have signed have been in English without me having to ask. Granted this is at a slightly higher price level than the OP is looking, but, particularly if going through an agent, there will be no problem having a lease in English.
Old Aug 3, 2016, 1:17 am

Originally Posted by christep
All the (standard form) leases that I have signed have been in English without me having to ask. Granted this is at a slightly higher price level than the OP is looking, but, particularly if going through an agent, there will be no problem having a lease in English.
I'm in the same situation as Chris, and I have only seen a lease in English.
I've also visited and met dozens of apartments/ landlords and quite a few agents (don't ask!), and they've all spoken some English - and any documents given to me have always been in English.

TBH this is something I wouldn't worry about. It's a non-issue.

Also, while I think rkkwan have been really helpful and informative (even for me), I'm not sure an 18 year old foreign guy working on the island would want to live in Hung Shui Kiu (Truly the backside of beyond!) or Kam Sheung Road. I think he'd feel quite isolated in those locations.
Old Aug 3, 2016, 6:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by TravelDream
Also, while I think rkkwan have been really helpful and informative (even for me), I'm not sure an 18 year old foreign guy working on the island would want to live in Hung Shui Kiu (Truly the backside of beyond!) or Kam Sheung Road. I think he'd feel quite isolated in those locations.
The major issue of OP's son is the budget and transportation.

Both locations are not bad.
Old Aug 3, 2016, 10:42 am
Suspended

Programs: None any more
I'm with traveldream. For an 18 year old expat on his first trip to Hong Kong, both of those locations are awful!

With respect, garykung, I guess you have little idea of the lifestyle of 18 year old expats in Hong Kong!
Old Aug 3, 2016, 5:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
I wasn't suggesting Hung Shui Kiu for the OP's son. What I was trying to do is to give an idea of what that money can get in various parts of HK.

I wouldn't live in Hung Shui Kiu myself as a local with that long commute. But a village home near Kam Sheung Rd Station is not necessary the most awful way to spend his rent, especially if one doesn't care too much about very cramped and crowded living quarters (no matter how convenient that might be).
Old Aug 3, 2016, 5:47 pm

"But a village home near Kam Sheung Rd Station is not necessary the most awful way to spend his rent, especially if one doesn't care too much about very cramped and crowded living quarters."

If the standard is most awful way to spend his rent, I suppose we could come up with some other ideas, but for an 18-year-old European guy, that does come close. Why even bother coming to Hong Kong if you're going to live in Kam Tin?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kam_Sh...TR_KSR_(8).JPG
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kam_Sh...g_Road_PTI.jpg

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.