Search

Long-term Accomodation Hong Kong

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2016, 2:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: Mainly Hilton Hhonors, SAS Eurobonus
Originally Posted by peasant
http://www.ndoherty.com/hk/

Article by someone trying to live cheaply in HK - might give your son some tips & tricks
Thank you for the link.
This was one of the first articles I stumbled on in my search so I have read it.
It's actually a few years old, so I expect that would be why the cost of accomodation I can find is significantly higher.
Anyway I have noted down the information about the agency he used for his flatshare - as they don't have listings online.
Old Jul 27, 2016, 2:59 am

Even though there's some old housing in the area, there's quite a bit of first-class office space around Quarry Bay/Taikoo, and that keeps rents up for those who want to be able to walk to work or shop at the big malls in the area (one with an ice skating rink, even). Rent-wise I think you'd do better one stop further out at Sai Wan Ho, which is quite a traditional Hong Kong neighbourhood with lots of old housing stock.

Your son will quickly get used to the sound of the tram ding-donging away in Sai Wan Ho.
Old Jul 27, 2016, 3:11 am
Original Poster

Ok.
What about the North Point area?
I have a cheap hostel and a cheap Ibis hotel noted down for that area (for his first few weeks, a month).
Does this indicate that the area is affordable for other kinds of accomodations?
Old Jul 27, 2016, 3:15 am
Suspended

Programs: None any more
Yes - North Point is a relatively affordable area, but well connected by MTR and buses. Many of the buildings tend to be older (which means 30+ years or so in HK-terminology!)
Old Jul 27, 2016, 3:21 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by christep
Yes - North Point is a relatively affordable area, but well connected by MTR and buses. Many of the buildings tend to be older (which means 25+ years or so in HK-terminology!)
Thank you, I'll do a check of the area then.
The North Point area is within walking distance of the office he'll supposedly spend most time in and an short commute on the HK Island MTR to the other.
Old Jul 27, 2016, 3:22 am

That IBIS in North Point sometimes offers very good rates if you search a bit. Rooms are very very small, though. But it's the sort of place Mom and Dad would approve.
Old Jul 27, 2016, 3:24 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by helosc
The North Point area is within walking distance of the office he'll supposedly spend most time in
Not really at this time of year - you really don't want to be walking more than 400m or so outdoors in a suit when it's 32 degrees and 85% humid!

But it's easy enough on a bus or minibus, or two stops on the MTR (deep stations though, so bus/minibus would probably be quicker).
Old Jul 27, 2016, 3:29 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 889
That IBIS in North Point sometimes offers very good rates if you search a bit. Rooms are very very small, though. But it's the sort of place Mom and Dad would approve.
Yes, I checked the rates and was pleasantly surprised.
As I only know his exact dates last minute, I'm probably going to make some one-night cancellable reservations in that Ibis very soon, just to be sure that he has somewhere to stay when he reaches HK.
Well, I have resigned myself (on my son's behalf) to very, very small rooms.
On weekdays, he'll only be using his accomodation for sleeping, so...
(Here in Copenhagen they are working him from 8am to 9-10 pm).
And on weekends, I suppose he'll be out exploring.
Old Jul 27, 2016, 3:33 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by christep
Not really at this time of year - you really don't want to be walking more than 400m or so outdoors in a suit when it's 32 degrees and 85% humid!

But it's easy enough on a bus or minibus, or two stops on the MTR (deep stations though, so bus/minibus would probably be quicker).
Ok, didn't think of that. And I suppose the rain won't be too nice either.
Heat should have abated a bit by September though, shouldn't it.
Old Jul 27, 2016, 3:35 am
Suspended

Not really - it starts to get cool/unhumid enough to walk far in business clothes around the end of October, until late March when the humidity ramps up again.

http://www.weather.gov.hk/cis/normal...y_normal_e.htm
Old Jul 27, 2016, 4:03 am

If you want to commit to, and pay for, a two-week stay, you might get a better offer emailing IBIS North Point.

As to the suit, leave the jacket in the air-conditioned office and commute in shirt-sleeves. Certainly acceptable if you're in North Point not Central! (Wear a suit in North Point and you'll look like a property agent.)

By the way, I hope your son's getting something really useful out of this. Employers in HK are shameless about getting everything they can for as little as they can.
Old Jul 27, 2016, 4:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
...I don't think that I have seen any accomodation offered in the eastern part of Kowloon/New Territories - along the purple metro line to Po Lam. The areas Yau Tong, Tiu Keng Wan, Hang Hau, Metro City.
To integrate, your son needs to talk the talk. MTR lines are not named by their colors. For example, the purple line you mention is Tseung Kwan O Line. If you mention the "color" line, people will never understand.

Why would that be?
There are 2 major reasons.

1. The Tseung Kwan O area has been and still is a major landfill for Hong Kong. Many people simply don't want to live under the smell of rubbish/garbage. It is especially true near LOHAS Park Station.

2. Tseung Kwan O is a new town (relatively). So most of the residents (private housing) are owners.

It seems convenient enough for commuting.
Tseung Kwan O is one of the worst in term of commuting in fact.

There is only 1 major road in/out from Tseung Kwan O - Tseung Kwan O Tunnel. When there is an issue, it practically paralyze all the traffic in/out from Tseung Kwan O. If the MTR has service issues at the same time...

The bus comment was in order not to add time to the commute - to avoid having to get a bus to a metro station, if possible.
In Hong Kong, bus is a direct A-B approach, not as a satellite mode.

Last edited by garykung; Jul 27, 2016 at 4:16 am
Old Jul 27, 2016, 4:43 am

This is turning into a very useful thread, I agree!

The problem with older resources is prices really surged here until around late 2014/ early 2015, and there's been less growth since.
I met family friends the other day. They were here in the early 00s and paid $1500 for a 350 sq.ft apartment near to the pier on Lamma Island. The same apartment they saw advertised for $10,000. That's quite the increase in just 'a few years'.

I take it TST is Tsim Sha Tsui which is not very high on my 'quality/price ratio list' as it is.
Yes, it is. Nobody when speaking English would call it Tsim Sha Tsui. A bit difficult to pronounce

While, personally, I wouldn't want to live there (It's busy, crowded, did I mention there are lots of people?). There is some incredibly cheap accommodation in TST. Not places I'd like to live, but if I didn't have the money I would. Excellent transport links to everywhere. Shopping and restaurant hub. Sort of in the middle of urban Hong Kong.

It's far too humid to walk around in a suit. A live 30 seconds to the MTR station door, but still end up sweaty in a shirt.

''To integrate, your son needs to talk the talk. MTR lines are not named by their colors. For example, the purple line you mention is Tseung Kwan O Line. If you mention the "color" line, people will never understand.''
Another problem with colours is there are two blue lines (Island and East Rail/KCR) and two purple lines (TKO and West Rail/ KCR). But HK's metro isn't difficult and I'm sure most people would recognize the colours.

Where exactly is his office? You said before the financial district, but North Point is certainly not in walking distance of Central/ The financial district.
If he's on the east of the island, other places might open up. Quarry Bay/ Sai Wan Ho have lots of accommodation on offer, but I rarely see places that cheap.

To be honest, Hong Kong is completely incomparable to even New York/ SanFran in terms of housing. Places here are a LOT smaller, for a lot more money. While, I think your son is aware of that, many expats aren't. It's something that people really need to consider.
Old Jul 27, 2016, 4:54 am

Programs: RJ Gold, AZ E+, Air Asia Platinum
I stayed at IBIS North Point a few times,the rooms are small,but have an efficient layout. The rooms have definitely seen better days though.Also the constant >5 minutes wait for the elevator just drives me crazy. On the positive side,it's literally a minute walk to the MTR and 7-11 and a 2-3 minutes walk to the ferry terminal.

Best Western has long been my favorite place in terms of value-quality ratio in HK.
Old Jul 27, 2016, 4:54 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by TravelDream
Where exactly is his office? You said before the financial district, but North Point is certainly not in walking distance of Central/ The financial district.
He said that there are two: the primary one in Hing Fat Street (CWB/Tin Hau) and the other in Bonham Strand.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.