Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Long Layover in HKG

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3, 2016, 4:11 pm
Original Poster

Question Long Layover in HKG

We are doing a 3 day stopover in HKG on the way in.

On the way back, we have a 7 hour layover before a 16 hour flight to NY. PE seat so no access to CX lounges.

Any suggestions? Big Buddha a possibility or too tiring? Be great to grab some great dimsum nearby
Old Jul 3, 2016, 4:59 pm

What time of the day is your layover? (ie, what are your flight times?)

With 7hrs, you should head into town. If you take the Airport Express to HK, you'll have a good 3.5 hrs in Central. Use that time to either ride the Star Ferry to Tsim Sha Tsui and back or a quick trip up to the Peak (you should take a cab both ways between Central and the Peak), and then have dim sum somewhere in Central, finally grab bbq pork buns to go from Tim Ho Wan which is near the Airport Express station.
Old Jul 4, 2016, 7:07 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by evergrn
What time of the day is your layover? (ie, what are your flight times?)

With 7hrs, you should head into town. If you take the Airport Express to HK, you'll have a good 3.5 hrs in Central. Use that time to either ride the Star Ferry to Tsim Sha Tsui and back or a quick trip up to the Peak (you should take a cab both ways between Central and the Peak), and then have dim sum somewhere in Central, finally grab bbq pork buns to go from Tim Ho Wan which is near the Airport Express station.
The layover is from 9AM-4PM.

We have 3 days of stopover in HK on the way in. And during that time, we are planning to take tour of HK which includes a visit to the peak/Stanley Market, visit Tim Ho wan (in Mong Kok) and other dimsum places in Kowloon [will be staying in Intercontinental in Tsim Sha Tsui], take in tea at Peninsula and visit Museum of history.

Last edited by sheerfun; Jul 4, 2016 at 7:19 am
Old Jul 4, 2016, 11:09 am

When are you arriving? The cable car to the Big Buddha is closed for seven days starting July 4.
Old Jul 4, 2016, 1:06 pm

Originally Posted by sheerfun
The layover is from 9AM-4PM.

We have 3 days of stopover in HK on the way in. And during that time, we are planning to take tour of HK which includes a visit to the peak/Stanley Market, visit Tim Ho wan (in Mong Kok) and other dimsum places in Kowloon [will be staying in Intercontinental in Tsim Sha Tsui], take in tea at Peninsula and visit Museum of history.
Sorry, I did not read your first post too well.

You could do the Buddha... the only thing that may be tiring is waiting in queue for the ropeway. Once you get to the top station, it's a short easy walk through shops to the bottom of the stairways to Buddha. I suppose the stairs could be taxing on a hot, muggy day. With 7hr layover, you'll have lots of time if you're just going to be in Tung Chung / Ngong Ping. But with the ropeway, Buddha and Citygate outlet, it'll pass fast. But if it were, I may still consider heading back into the city instead.

I personally don't know of any good dim sum restaurant in Tung Chung. The only good one I know near HKIA is the one at Skycity Marriott.
Old Jul 4, 2016, 5:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
One can take the bus (or taxi) to the Big Buddha and then cable car back to avoid the lines.

Dim sum at Terminal 2's Chao Inn is alright. Good enough for most of the local public.
Old Jul 19, 2016, 1:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 889
When are you arriving? The cable car to the Big Buddha is closed for seven days starting July 4.
Our trip is a long way from now. We'll be there in Jan 2017
Old Jul 19, 2016, 9:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
A bit hard to predict when NP360 shuts for maintenance these days. Here are ones from 2015 onwards (days inclusive):

July 4 to 10
May 16 to 18
Feb 1 to 4 (originally scheduled for 1 to 5)

Dec 1 to 5
Sep 7 to 21 (originally scheduled for 7 to 24)
April 30 to May 12 (originally scheduled May 1 to 12, service suspended a day early)
March 3 to 20 (originally 3 to 21)
Jan 27 to 28

You can see it's not easy to predict. I believe the work are scheduled when needed after they see/find something during nightly or weekly inspections. Some of those coincide with major holidays (May 2015, Feb 2016), so these are clearly carried out because they are NEEDED, and not from a regular schedule.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.