Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Shopping in Hong Kong

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2016, 9:20 pm
Original Poster

Shopping in Hong Kong

Hi all, I've just moved to HK and i love it!

The down side is back in UK there were many great shopping malls with high st brands and affordable clothing, however i find here is all top notch designer or u got your h&m and zara. Please can anyone point me in the right direction to some great boutiques??

Thanks
Old Jun 26, 2016, 11:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by hellolidoqt
Hi all, I've just moved to HK and i love it!

The down side is back in UK there were many great shopping malls with high st brands and affordable clothing, however i find here is all top notch designer or u got your h&m and zara. Please can anyone point me in the right direction to some great boutiques??

Thanks
Aberdeen outlets?
Old Jun 26, 2016, 11:48 pm

I can't say I know much about clothing, but I've always sensed that the major problem for Westerners buying clothes in Hong Kong is style and sizing: the big market is the local market, and that often doesn't fit what Westerners want to buy.
Old Jun 27, 2016, 12:33 am

I suppose what you're looking for would be in found in Soho, anywhere around Staunton Street / Hollywood Road...
Old Jun 27, 2016, 12:37 pm
Suspended

Programs: None any more
Originally Posted by gpia
I suppose what you're looking for would be in found in Soho, anywhere around Staunton Street / Hollywood Road...
Eh? Staunton Street is at least 90% restaurants!
Old Jun 27, 2016, 6:45 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Can you still get a bespoke suit for a lot less than you'd pay in the West?
Old Jun 27, 2016, 9:36 pm

Originally Posted by christep
Eh? Staunton Street is at least 90% restaurants!
You're right - I meant to point to the area rather than the street itself.

Originally Posted by wco81
Can you still get a bespoke suit for a lot less than you'd pay in the West?
A "lot less" - no. It is certainly not the big deal it used to be. In fact, a number of people I know around here use their trips to BKK to get their tailoring done these days.
Old Jun 29, 2016, 8:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
I was just in HK and also too noticed it was Chanel or crap. Not much in between.

Sizings are a problem for women with boobs. Even my normal size 8 Western foot.

I didnt go there but saw an advertisement for an outlet mall... Citigate something i think. Maybe lower prices but still quality.?
Old Jun 29, 2016, 9:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by hellolidoqt
Please can anyone point me in the right direction to some great boutiques??
Spend a day in Mongkok and focus on malls.

Due to rent cost, many boutiques have moved upstairs.

Originally Posted by Annalisa12
I was just in HK and also too noticed it was Chanel or crap. Not much in between.
Mainland China and money.

Hong Kong is always a jerk for people with size.

Although it may be inappropriate to discuss as a male, the problem for women with boobs is mainly due to typical Asian sizes.

I didnt go there but saw an advertisement for an outlet mall... Citigate something i think. Maybe lower prices but still quality.?
It is Citygate Outlets...and really nothing special there.
Old Jun 30, 2016, 4:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Originally Posted by garykung
Spend a day in Mongkok and focus on malls.

Due to rent cost, many boutiques have moved upstairs.

Mainland China and money.

Hong Kong is always a jerk for people with size.

Although it may be inappropriate to discuss as a male, the problem for women with boobs is mainly due to typical Asian sizes.

It is Citygate Outlets...and really nothing special there.
Glad i never went there.

It was nearly impossible to see bras over a C cup
Old Jun 30, 2016, 4:44 am
Suspended

Programs: None any more
Why on earth would you come to HK wanting to buy bras over a C-cup? (Unless you forgot to pack yours or something)

There are many great things to do here. Shopping for Caucasian-size clothes is absolutely not one of them (with the possible exception of custom tailoring, but even that isn't the bargain it used to be).

As a large Caucasian HongKonger I basically buy all my clothes online from the US or UK.
Old Jun 30, 2016, 5:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by christep
Why on earth would you come to HK wanting to buy bras over a C-cup? (Unless you forgot to pack yours or something)
Appropriate or not, I believe it is a personal preference of what they want to buy in Hong Kong. Beside:

1. There is a chain store for custom-made undergarment, which some female may find it helpful.

2. Typical Asian sizes do not mean there is no exception. Local with size still have the need.
Old Jun 30, 2016, 9:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
The ultimate punchline is that Victoria's Secret in Hong Kong doesn't even sell bras. Don't ask me why, but Mrs. Pickles says it must be because Hong Kong women don't have any boobs.
Old Jun 30, 2016, 6:39 pm

Programs: None
Boutique HK

Try Island Beverly or LaForet in the Causeway Bay area. They have unique young designer "boutiques" with very trendy fashions and not very expensive (at least the places I checked out last month). Most of the small shops don't open until the late afternoon (2-3 PM or so).
Old Jul 2, 2016, 9:38 am

TBH, I don't find Hong Kong to be that bad for buying clothes. There always seems to be a sale on, and the range here is decent.

I think Olympic City is a fairly 'normal' shopping centre by British standards.

Places like H&M, Zara, Hollister, Forever 21, Pull&Bear, American Eagle have a fairly good selection with 'western styles' with reasonable to reasonable-ish prices. You can find them in many parts of Hong Kong. If you're a bit more traditional then M&S had a good range, but tends to be pricier than the ones I've listed above. Also, you can try some sports shops for casual wear. But I find lots of companies (Adidas and Nike) have 'Asian cut' styles here, which aren't very generous on the Western frame.

I'm not sure I'd recommend going to some of the hidden away shopping malls in Mong Kok. They tend to be very 'local' in style and sizing. Unless, of course, someone can recommend somewhere specific. My experiences have all been rather underwhelming.

On the suit front, I looked for one here and found it to be pricer than expected. I ended up getting one from Vietnam for less than half the price, and it is good quality for the price paid. I don't think G2000 is too bad for suits either. Stay away from their slim-fit styles though, as they'll be far too narrow on the shoulders of most Westerners.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.