Search

Best way to spend Money in HK?

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2016, 1:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: AAdavantage Member
Best way to spend Money in HK?

Hello all,
mostly a lurker on FT, but I'm going to HK for the first time ever later this year, probably in September. My bank (USAA) still hasn't gotten around to issuing me a chip card and say it will "Before 2017" and I was curious what was the best way to spend money in HK. I've had good luck with Apple Pay in Europe and Australia, but I know most places from what I've read is either cash or Octopus Card. I'd rather use my magnetic stripe card or apple pay or pull out from an ATM, would it be hard to be dependent on apple pay there or is NFC limited to Octopus? I don't wanna put too much money on an octopus card and be only able to get a refund in HK$. Sorry for being such a newb with the mundane, but help is appreciated!
Old May 19, 2016, 1:58 am
Suspended

Programs: None any more
I've never seen anywhere that takes Apple Pay. Octopus only works in convenience stores, supermarkets and similar. It doesn't work in restaurants (except low-end places like McDs).

I don't know if mag stripe cards still work here; I believe all HK issued cards have been chip cards for a while now.
Old May 19, 2016, 2:16 am

You can use swipe cards in HK in store, just like in the US.
Visa and Mastercard are accepted practically everywhere, AMEX is accepted in quite a lot of places - but not everywhere.

While all new HK cards now have chips, there are still lots of older ones which don't. Also, HK credit cards don't usually have PIN numbers and people sign the receipt.

I'll echo what Christep said about Octopus (a must, but you can't use it everywhrere) and Apple Pay - Though it is supposedly launching soon in HK.
Old May 19, 2016, 3:29 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Do you have time to apply for another card? There are some cheap cards like the UA Explorer, or Marriott Rewards that have a chip and $0 Forex.
Old May 19, 2016, 6:35 pm

But if you can't get a card in time, don't fret too much. HK is one of those places where changing USD to HKD and back again is easy. Exchange spots are everywhere, and rates are good and posted. There may be a few places left that will overcharge or charge a commission, especially in TST, so of course compare a couple places first.

The exception is the airport, where rates are not good.

Pickpockets are a conceivable but rare threat; apart from that, HK is a safe place to carry cash around.
Old May 19, 2016, 9:55 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by christep
I've never seen anywhere that takes Apple Pay. Octopus only works in convenience stores, supermarkets and similar. It doesn't work in restaurants (except low-end places like McDs).
It also can be used at the Peak (for the tram and the sightseeing cameras), some dry cleaning and parking, some taxis, and scattered parts of Luo Hu in Shenzhen...though, obviously not all of those things will help the average tourist.
Old May 20, 2016, 3:16 am
Suspended

Well OK, but "some" taxis is less than 3% of them I think. I personally have never been in one in the several years that the "trial" has been running.
Old May 20, 2016, 9:09 am

You can use them in some taxis??
I've used hundreds of taxis in Hong Kong and I've never seen an octopus card reader in one.

Apparently ApplePay is coming this year for Amex cards.
http://www.scmp.com/business/compani...vice-hong-kong

I agree Hong Kong is a relatively safe place to carry large amounts of cash, however I still think card is safer.
Old May 20, 2016, 9:40 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by BuildingMyBento
scattered parts of Luo Hu in Shenzhen...though, obviously not all of those things will help the average tourist.
My (orange) octopus can be used on the entire MTR network in Shenzhen , but isn't sold in many places. If there are other places in Shenzhen that accept it, I haven't noticed.

Switching topics, I typically withdraw cash from ATMs in HK (and pretty much everywhere else, for that matter). My big tip on this point is to avoid pulling out multiples of 500 (because there's a good chance that you'll end up with 500s only, and lots of smaller merchants dislike 500s).

Last edited by moondog; May 20, 2016 at 9:47 am
Old May 20, 2016, 10:37 am

Programs: Delta Gold, silver, what yr is it?
Originally Posted by moondog
Switching topics, I typically withdraw cash from ATMs in HK (and pretty much everywhere else, for that matter). My big tip on this point is to avoid pulling out multiples of 500 (because there's a good chance that you'll end up with 500s only, and lots of smaller merchants dislike 500s).
What is a good place in HK (and SIN) to break larger bills if needed? In the US when I need to break a larger bill and don't want to or cannot get to a bank, I like to try a supermarket - buy a drink, break the larger bill. Some hotel front desks will be able/willing to break bills. In PVG, I think I used larger mini-markets.....Are those options?
Old May 20, 2016, 10:59 am

You can spend 500 HKD almost anywhere. Any chain store (Even 7/11 or McDonalds) will take it, as will the vast majority of market stall holders and taxi drivers. Actually, I've yet to find anyone who won't take one.

The 1000HKD note is different and lots of places have signs saying they won't take it - and taxi drivers and market stalls almost certainly won't. TBH I have never received one as HSBC ATMs don't give them out. If you withdraw money at a HSBC (and I'm guessing most other banks) ATM, you won't get one.
Old May 20, 2016, 11:34 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

@TravelDream: it's somewhat ironic that you mention HSBC because I often go to their Queen's Road building, and there are no chained convenience stores within two blocks, so I end up buying water at street stalls. Let's just say that those guys aren't especially fond of 500s.

That having been said, I agree 500s are fair game pretty much everywhere. I simply prefer having 100s on me when making small purchases (i.e. I want 711 clerks to like me).
Old May 20, 2016, 11:56 am

Programs: Delta Gold, silver, what yr is it?
Thanks!^
Old May 20, 2016, 8:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
If you want 7-Eleven clerks to like you (and more importantly the guys behind you in line) then for heaven's sake pay with an Octopus. Adding $100 or $500 to it is fine, but getting any kind of loose change from the cashier may be frowned upon by more than a few impatient HKers.
Old May 20, 2016, 9:32 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by TravelDream
The 1000HKD note is different and lots of places have signs saying they won't take it - and taxi drivers and market stalls almost certainly won't. TBH I have never received one as HSBC ATMs don't give them out. If you withdraw money at a HSBC (and I'm guessing most other banks) ATM, you won't get one.
Some (I guess it's only a few) HSBC ATMs do dispense $1000s - there is often a sign on the machine saying which notes an ATM contains.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.