Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best hotel in HK

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2016, 10:48 am

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Ambassador/Lifetime Titanium, Accor Silver, Club Carlson Gold, BW Diamond
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
IIRC there are two Star Ferry routes from Kowloon to Central, with one of them going to the convention center, so the frequency might not be quite as good. Still, it would be a lot of fun to commute to your meetings via the Star Ferry.
Your recall is off. There ARE two Star Ferry routes from Tsim Sha Tsui in Kowloon. One goes to Central and one goes to Wan Chai. The Convention Center is in Wan Chai.
Old May 14, 2016, 11:16 am

Programs: IHG Spire, Marriott
Star ferry from TST to Wan Chai (conference center) has a 8 mins headway during rush hours.

That's still quite frequent IMO.
Old May 15, 2016, 4:51 am

Programs: BA GGL, SQ PPS, HH Diamond, SPG LTP/100, Marriott Platinum, Mucci des Lois Constitutionelles
I really liked Le Meridien Cyberport.
Old May 15, 2016, 5:25 am

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
Originally Posted by frenchft
Hum... thanks. Sounds that Sheraton HK sucks regarding lounge and Platinum recognition. W is too expensive and Le meridien is too far away... sounds we are going to check Hyatt...
I don't agree the Sheraton HK sucks. Its an older hotel, but the location is excellent (opposite the Peninsula) and has another section of upgraded rooms. The biggest problem is with the property is PLAT recognition sucks.
Old May 16, 2016, 7:39 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum-2 MM Starwood Plat,Delta DM
I stayed at Hyatt Regency two weeks ago for a trade show there. It was a short cab ride. Great lounge at the Hyatt with great views. Really nice setup. I have also stayed at the W and took the train to the convention center. The W is nice. Somewhat pricey. The best breakfast buffet for Plats.

Rob
Old May 16, 2016, 11:11 pm

OP may consider Hotel Indigo in Wan Chai if the Grand Hyatt is too expensive. Hotel Indigo is a 15 minute straight line walk away from the HKCEC.

As a local who have stayed in all three Starwood hotels in Hong Kong, I would suggest staying at the Sheraton for its unbeatable location (very important to stay in towers by booking direct or by paying a HK$330 supplement per person or 2500 Starpoints per 2 persons over your original base room rate), the platinum lounge is abysmal, while the towers lounge is much better and modern.

As mentioned above, there is indeed a frequent sailing of the world famous Star Ferry from Tsim Sha Tsui (10 min walk from Sheraton) to Wan Chai where the HKCEC is located but the pier has been relocated to further away from the HKCEC. Used to be a 2 min walk but it's now at least 10 minutes away on foot.
Old May 17, 2016, 3:03 am

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
IIRC there are two Star Ferry routes from Kowloon to Central, with one of them going to the convention center, so the frequency might not be quite as good. Still, it would be a lot of fun to commute to your meetings via the Star Ferry.

However, for the Sheraton, please think seriously about booking a Towers room. I say this because whenever I've been near the Sheraton, the lobby has been mobbed with people who seem to be part of tour groups. It seems to me that there are always long lines for the front desk, etc., so doing the hotel within a hotel would make this property a much more pleasant experience.
I am in the Sheraton nearly every month. Have not seen a tour group here in a long while.

There are a lot of posts about the lack of platinum recognition which I cannot say I agree with. You will get full breakfast buffet in the coffee shop (much better than any lounge breakfast), access to the platinum lounge which has OK views but a strange layout as it is four converted standard rooms, but very few suites. Plats are usually upgraded to a harbor view room.

The Towers rooms are identical to the others but you will have access to a nicer lounge which also has better views. The dedicated check-in for Towers guests is usually slower for me than the check in on the main lobby level.

Originally Posted by yosithezet
A few years ago I stayed at the Sheraton for a few days while attending a conference at the convention center. It was great to walk over in the morning and take the Star Ferry across. Of course the weather will also play a factor.
I actually do this but I like the walk. If you are carrying a heavy bag or it is summer and you need to wear a suit, consider this one more carefully. Otherwise this is a pretty cool way to go to a convention. If budget is no concern, stay on the Towers floor, otherwise the rest of the hotel is fine if you get a harbor view room.

Originally Posted by d'Yquem
I really liked Le Meridien Cyberport.
I like the hotel, too. But I would not recommend it for a first time visitor as this is much to see and do and little of it is convenient from Le Meridien. And limited local restaurant options.

Last edited by uanj; May 17, 2016 at 3:09 am
Old May 17, 2016, 9:03 pm

Programs: IHG Spire, Marriott
Originally Posted by Central90210
OP may consider Hotel Indigo in Wan Chai if the Grand Hyatt is too expensive.
IMO, the Indigo in Wan Chai is incomparable to the Grand Hyatt or other hotels mentioned in this thread. It's a small scale hotel and at least a 15 mins jog to HKCEC.

As a local who have stayed in all three Starwood hotels in Hong Kong
That's just sad. HK is a very small place to have a local sleepover in a hotel.

the pier has been relocated to further away from the HKCEC. Used to be a 2 min walk but it's now at least 10 minutes away on foot.
Would say the walk is now 8 mins vs 5 previously. The undesirable part is the underground walkway from Sheraton to the pier.
Old May 18, 2016, 4:42 am

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
The Conrad is as far from HKCEC as the Indigo, but as OP is HH Diamond and in my experience it's significantly cheaper than the GH, might be worth consideration. It has a nice enough lounge with champagne ŕ volonté in the evenings.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.