Wiki Posts
Search

current weather in HK-I hear it is cold and frost

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2016, 6:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by garykung
Forecast tends to be more accurate when time approaches. So you should wait.

BTW - locals tends to avoid using forecasts by Hong Kong Observatory due to its tendency of inaccuracy.
Which Hong Kong website should I be watching for an accurate forecast?
Old Jan 29, 2016, 6:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
Originally Posted by susiesan
I don't know about others, but I DO use the Hong Kong Observatory app for radar images and short-term rain forecast. It also gives the relevant warnings for HK residents. For longer term forecast, I use the same sites as I did in the US. The iPhone default app (from Weather Channel) or Weather Underground.
Old Jan 30, 2016, 1:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
As what rkkwan said, the Weather Channel surprisingly is doing a better job than the official channel.

Since you are from Kansas City, MO, allow me to give you a fair warning - don't be fool by people's clothing for the weather. People in Hong Kong are not used to cold weather (like those in N. America), so they mount up heavy clothing (North Face, etc.)

At the same time, I was wearing a short sleeve T-shirt without any jacket (and I am from San Francisco, CA).
Old Jan 30, 2016, 2:00 am

Originally Posted by garykung
As what rkkwan said, the Weather Channel surprisingly is doing a better job than the official channel.

Since you are from Kansas City, MO, allow me to give you a fair warning - don't be fool by people's clothing for the weather. People in Hong Kong are not used to cold weather (like those in N. America), so they mount up heavy clothing (North Face, etc.)

At the same time, I was wearing a short sleeve T-shirt without any jacket (and I am from San Francisco, CA).
Part of it is because most people don't have central heating in their homes, nor any form of insulation. Walls are just bare concrete, which hold the cold much more so than wood or other materials. Space heaters are the norm for heating.

I've lived in New York and Chicago for years, and the few days last week felt much colder than often the coldest of days in North America because of that.

But for a 12 hour layover, you probably won't notice. And if you stay in hotels with central heating during your stay, you probably won't notice either.
Old Jan 30, 2016, 2:05 am

Originally Posted by christep
Well the HKO app reported 0.1 degrees for several hours at their station (which is at the Peak Plaza, not at Victoria Peak, which is 100m higher) so I'd be astonished if it wasn't sub-zero there. And I guess the 0.1 report was because the app simply hasn't been designed to go negative! It stayed fixed for some hours when other points continued to fall, which seems implausible.
Actually, a friend who lives on the peak had water freeze over on their balcony. This is on Plantation Road.
Attached Images  
Old Jan 30, 2016, 6:51 am

Originally Posted by jamescho
Actually, a friend who lives on the peak had water freeze over on their balcony. This is on Plantation Road.
I'd like to get to know your friend.
Old Jan 30, 2016, 7:06 am

I feel like the weather forecast for HKG (whether it's Weather Channel or HK observatory) has been completely unreliable on every fall/winter trip the last few years, especially when it comes to sunny/clear vs haze/fog, as well as the timing of light rain patches. On a given day, the forecast for the next day might say cloudy in morning and sunny patches in afternoon, but then it could turn out to be the completely opposite. You just don't know about the visibility until you wake up in the morning. Last month, I spent a week in HKG and we hit a rain patch here and there pretty much everyday, even though the forecast said some days were no rain. We went out to the Dragon's Back on a morning that was supposed to be sunny and clear, but we got there and couldn't see beyond 100metres.
Old Jan 30, 2016, 9:53 am

A little sun and 16 C today.
Old Jan 30, 2016, 12:12 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CGRA
We will be there from 7:30am to 8:00pm. So in the city from approx. 10:00am to 5:00pm.

That is fleece over long sleeve t shirt temperature. Thanks.
Old Jan 30, 2016, 4:50 pm

Originally Posted by jamescho
There was water freeze on plants even at Parkview on Sunday, which is at 265 m.
Old Jan 31, 2016, 5:53 am

We will be there from 7:30am to 8:00pm. So in the city from approx. 10:00am to 5:00pm.

That is fleece over long sleeve t shirt temperature. Thanks.
Enjoy
Same weather today.
Old Jan 31, 2016, 8:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CGRA
Or it could be like right now, 10C and moderate rain.
Old Feb 6, 2016, 11:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Today is the 7th. HK Observatory's forecast for the 12th is 18-21C, cloudy and humid with few rain patches, fog early and late.

Weather Underground is 19-21C, overcast with rain showers at times, 50% chance of precipitation.

Weather Channel is high 21C, steady light rain in the morning, showers through afternoon, 60% chance of precipitation.

Looks all consistent. You don't need a warm jacket, but you need to bring an umbrella, which is more useful than raincoat in HK.
Old Feb 7, 2016, 12:28 am

Originally Posted by rkkwan
Today is the 7th. HK Observatory's forecast for the 12th is 18-21C, cloudy and humid with few rain patches, fog early and late.

Weather Underground is 19-21C, overcast with rain showers at times, 50% chance of precipitation.

Weather Channel is high 21C, steady light rain in the morning, showers through afternoon, 60% chance of precipitation.

Looks all consistent. You don't need a warm jacket, but you need to bring an umbrella, which is more useful than raincoat in HK.
The only thing you would have needed an umbrella for today is the sun. Was on Lantau peak and wherever the wind was not strong it was warm even in a t-shirt. As soon as you reached a windy area it got quite cold.

Ops sorry, overread the 12th as the day for the forecast.
Old Feb 7, 2016, 8:39 am
Original Poster

I will put an umbrella in my carryon then. I also will bring my cheap plastic raincoat from Myanmar. It's like a poncho with sleeves. Definitely waterproof and goes down to my knees. I'll keep an eye on all of those weather websites for updates during this week.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.