Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Hong Kong and Macau
Reload this Page >

Hong Kong for New Year?

Hong Kong for New Year?

Old Nov 18, 2015, 6:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: British Airways Silver, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, AMEX plat
Hong Kong for New Year?

My partner and I are thinking of destinations for New Year 2017 (yes, we like to plan early!). We thought Hong Kong might be good with celebrations and events at that time of year, but has anyone had any experiences? If not, would anyone recommend any other Asian cities for a New Year holiday? We would probably go for around a week with new year falling around the middle of the trip. Thanks in advance.
Old Nov 19, 2015, 6:18 am
Suspended

Programs: None any more
Just to be clear, do you mean western new year (31/12-1/1) or lunar new year, as celebrated in China and a few other Asian countries?
Old Nov 19, 2015, 9:06 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by christep
Just to be clear, do you mean western new year (31/12-1/1) or lunar new year, as celebrated in China and a few other Asian countries?
Sorry, should have stated that! Western New Year. I thought being under former British rule it might have Western New Year celebrations.
Old Nov 19, 2015, 11:00 am

You'd have to look up the dates for 2017, but I found Hanoi in the ten days before Tet to be a wonderfully lively and bustling city. On the other hand, come Tet itself, the entire country practically shuts down and is dead for the next ten days.
Old Nov 19, 2015, 11:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by AMBurns1512
Sorry, should have stated that! Western New Year. I thought being under former British rule it might have Western New Year celebrations.
There will be some minor celebrations, nothing compare to Chinese New Years.

There will be various private and ticketed new years eve parties around town. I will bet there will be celebration at LKF.
Old Nov 19, 2015, 7:05 pm
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for your help. I'd love to go to Vietnam but not sure I want to be there when the city is dead. I'll maybe have another think.
Old Nov 19, 2015, 8:57 pm

Tết begins January 27 in 2017, so that'd give you almost all January for a visit before the country shuts down.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.