Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Another which hotel question

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2015, 9:32 am
Original Poster

Another which hotel question

Hello all, a question of which hotel to choose that doesn't fit into any of the individual hotel threads. We are going to be in Hong Kong for 4 nights in June (before continuing on to Shanghai, Tokyo, Kyoto/Osaka, and Beijing). The first two nights we are booked into the Conrad, however, we have not booked the last two nights of our stay. There are six of us (me, my wife, and our four teen and preteen daughters). We have enough points to stay in the Conrad for the next two nights, or enough free nights and points to stay in either of the Hyatts other than the Park Hyatt (although we would have enough points, I don't think it is worth it), or enough free nights and points to stay in any IHG for one night, the lower end ones for two. If for only one night, we would just stay at the Conrad for an additional night. We would also have enough for two nights at the Ramada, don't know if anyone would be able to advise about that. Also have enough points to stay at RC or Marriott for at least one night, but have pretty much ruled them out as a waste of Marriott points. Will probably use some of them for a overnight connection at the airport Marriott on the way home. Should probably note that we would receive free breakfast at Hilton or Marriott, not at IC or RC or Hyatt.
So any thoughts on which would be my best option? Just stay where I am or move somewhere else to get some variety?
Old Oct 2, 2015, 12:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I would probably just stick with the Conrad for all four nights, but if the GH is an option, I'd consider that as well (especially if you like swimming). I didn't know HK had a park Hyatt.
Old Oct 2, 2015, 12:49 pm
Original Poster

Sorry, my mistake, that should have been the grand hyatt that i had pretty much ruled out.
Old Oct 2, 2015, 3:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
I stayed at the Conrad with my wife and three pre teen kids in the summer. We were very well looked after and we're given lounge access plus moved to harbour view rooms on the 55th floor. I'd just stay in the one place. Also there's a great supermarket (think Wholefoods) in the basement which us great for picking up a salad or a sandwich at a fraction of what room service would change.
Old Oct 2, 2015, 6:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
Just stay at the Conrad if you don't mind the extra cost. Or move to the Hyatt Regency if you want to use points, though it's a step down from the Conrad and you waste time moving. [Though if you have minimal luggage and can use public transport, it's just one MTR stop away. Likely faster than a taxi with traffic.]
Old Oct 2, 2015, 8:18 pm

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
+1 for sticking with the Conrad for all four nights.
Old Oct 3, 2015, 7:12 am

I'd move to the Hyatt in TST for the other two nights. Yeah, there's some inconvenience in moving, but staying in TST has a whole nother feel to it, especially compared to the Conrad's location.

I enjoy staying at the Conrad or Shang, but the hotel's immediate environment is almost indistinguishable from being in Bloomington, Minnesota. That would not be the case for the Hyatt.
Old Oct 3, 2015, 10:26 am

Originally Posted by wideman
I'd move to the Hyatt in TST for the other two nights. Yeah, there's some inconvenience in moving, but staying in TST has a whole nother feel to it, especially compared to the Conrad's location.

I enjoy staying at the Conrad or Shang, but the hotel's immediate environment is almost indistinguishable from being in Bloomington, Minnesota. That would not be the case for the Hyatt.
Pacific Place is pretty generic but it's a ten minute walk to Wan Chai.
Old Oct 4, 2015, 11:16 am
Suspended

Programs: None any more
Originally Posted by txflyer77
Pacific Place is pretty generic but it's a ten minute walk to Wan Chai.
Which is, perhaps, not high on the list of places to take your teenage daughters!
Old Oct 4, 2015, 2:33 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by christep
Which is, perhaps, not high on the list of places to take your teenage daughters!
come on there's the local parts/street market between Johnston Road and Queens Road East other than where you love to hang out the most ie Lockhart Road and Jeffe Road (for OP: The seedy part of town)
move to TST, experience sth different.
Old Oct 4, 2015, 3:44 pm
Original Poster

So is the seedy part of town really seedy, or just seedy by Hong Kong standards?
When I was in Tokyo with colleagues, we had to really convince our bus driver to let us off in East Shinjuku, because it was "a bad part of town"! Even after growing up in Canada, where a bad part of town would be laughed at by big city Americans, East Shinjuku was ridiculously clean and crime free, at least on the surface (and as long as you knew which establishments to avoid). So, are we talking Tokyo seedy or Miami seedy?😜
Old Oct 4, 2015, 6:19 pm

Programs: CX Silver, QFF Bronze, Mabuhay Miles
Originally Posted by farnorthtrader
So is the seedy part of town really seedy, or just seedy by Hong Kong standards?
When I was in Tokyo with colleagues, we had to really convince our bus driver to let us off in East Shinjuku, because it was "a bad part of town"! Even after growing up in Canada, where a bad part of town would be laughed at by big city Americans, East Shinjuku was ridiculously clean and crime free, at least on the surface (and as long as you knew which establishments to avoid). So, are we talking Tokyo seedy or Miami seedy?😜
If you mean Lockhart Rd/Jaffe RD Wan Chai, it is really only a couple blocks and it really isn't that seedy. It is perfectly safe to walk down anytime of the day or night. It is obvious which establishments are a bit more colourful than the others. Plenty of good bars there with full street view. I would recommend going down there for a look, at least.
Old Oct 4, 2015, 6:23 pm

Originally Posted by farnorthtrader
When I was in Tokyo with colleagues, we had to really convince our bus driver to let us off in East Shinjuku, because it was "a bad part of town"! Even after growing up in Canada, where a bad part of town would be laughed at by big city Americans, East Shinjuku was ridiculously clean and crime free, at least on the surface (and as long as you knew which establishments to avoid). So, are we talking Tokyo seedy or Miami seedy?��
Personally, I would not consider Wan Chai to be seedy. There are likely places *in* Wan Chai that you wouldn't want to go but I've never felt unsafe walking around there at night (including walking to/from the Conrad late at night). Plus, there's some great food, especially Joy Hing and Wing Wah.

Whenever I've gone drinking in that part of HK it's been in the Westernized places where you're pretty much guaranteed not to get into any sort of trouble.

Basic rule that applies almost everywhere: if there are scantily-clad young women hanging out in front of the establishment, it's exactly what you think it is.
Old Oct 8, 2015, 11:35 pm

I think the peninsula has a buy one night get one night free deal - can your family fit in a suite or do you need multiple rooms?
Old Oct 9, 2015, 9:34 am
Original Poster

We have trouble booking the 6 of us into a suite anywhere, I would expect that Hong Kong would be even tougher.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.