Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Hong Kong and Macau
Reload this Page >

Dual nationality - BNO and HKID

Dual nationality - BNO and HKID

Old Jul 12, 2017, 2:17 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by garykung
Apparently it does not matter. I used the "Others (non-UK/EU)" line.

Also - FWIW, when I attempted to use the UK/EU line at LHR, the IO did not attempt to run the passport at all. It was not until the IO read the information page to realize I was in the "wrong" line (which as a result, I provided a valuable English lesson to UKBF).

Some in the HM Government agree.

Still if you are hoping any changes, it is not going to happen, at least under Theresa May or Conservative Party.

I don't believe the e-channel will stop a person simply because the person has reached 18 and used a child ID.
talking about the EU end, not HK. can U18s use the HK e-channels?

Id be very surprised if things like passport status can change within5 years, unless the courts rule otherwise - in which case means, something in HK would have changed badly.

anyways, what happened when the IO realized u're inthe wrong lane. I would point the finger at the first dragon saying i was directly here.
Last time in LCY they just ran it and stamped accordingly.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 2:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by kaka
anyways, what happened when the IO realized u're inthe wrong lane.
The IO sent me back to the "right" lane and I have to teach them English.
Old Jul 13, 2017, 11:04 am
Suspended

The IO sent me back to the "right" lane and I have to teach them English.
when was that?
Old Jul 13, 2017, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by kaka
when was that?
A while ago...
Old Jul 16, 2017, 2:33 am
Suspended

A while ago...
comforting to hear.
At least i was very welcome to use the uk line since 2016
Old Jul 26, 2017, 6:43 am

Programs: QR/AC Gold, VA Silver, IHG Plat, Bonvoy Gold
I have a current HKID Card, HKSAR Passport, and expired BNO Passport. I also have Australian passport.

Is there any good reason to renew BNO passport at all? From what I see BNO passport is expensive and does not have as many visa free countries as HKSAR passport.
Old Jul 26, 2017, 6:48 am
Suspended

Programs: None any more
With an Australian passport, probably not. The argument for BN(O) when otherwise only holding an HKSAR is that if you find yourself needing consular assistance somewhere then you might prefer to be getting it from the British consulate than the Chinese one. But if you can get it from the Australian one then no problem I guess.

Having said that, your status as a BN(O) is not dependent on renewing your passport - it's a status that you have for life unless you renounce it, so at a pinch, if you are carrying an expired BN(O) passport to prove your status then you could probably get British consular assistance anyway.

Last edited by christep; Jul 26, 2017 at 7:49 am
Old Jul 26, 2017, 7:00 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by kamchatsky
I have a current HKID Card, HKSAR Passport, and expired BNO Passport. I also have Australian passport.

Is there any good reason to renew BNO passport at all? From what I see BNO passport is expensive and does not have as many visa free countries as HKSAR passport.
Yes you should - one word - iReserve

I have a grudge with my parents for this (never applied for me)
Old Jul 26, 2017, 12:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kamchatsky
Is there any good reason to renew BNO passport at all?
HM Passport Office allows straight renewal (i.e. no countersignature, like Australia's guarantor as counterpart) if nothing needs to be changed and the passport is either expiring (i.e. still valid) or expired recently.

I continue to renew it to avoid having countersignature.
Old Jul 26, 2017, 8:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
The way I look at it: It would not hurt to have an extra trump card up your sleeve.
Old Jul 26, 2017, 8:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by percysmith
Yes you should - one word - iReserve

I have a grudge with my parents for this (never applied for me)
I know a HBS MBA, born in China, talented investment banker who lost a VP promotion to China as his parents renounced his Chinese nationality during his childhood.
​​​
Old Jul 26, 2017, 8:25 pm

Just as a bit of OT this thread made me look at my HKSAR passport renewal this morning
It was so convenient I just decided to complete it http://www.immd.gov.hk/pdforms/id841n.pdf
Have a Aus passport photo (my Aus passport photo from 2009 really). Appears to be compliant with HKSAR photo requirements. I think I can pass off on it with the age thing.
Can't be bothered to scan, mailed a hard copy form in.
One page, simpler than all new card applications
Can't use credit card if mail, but for not having to fiddle with digital photo (let Immigration Department do it with my hard copy), I'll forgo the $10 card rebate.

for 32 page $480 for 48 page - I'll go for 48 page and use it more now on
Esp for Japan which is a half page every visit

If I need a 48-page Aus passport it's A$100 more
Old Jul 26, 2017, 8:26 pm

Originally Posted by tentseller
I know a HBS MBA, born in China, talented investment banker who lost a VP promotion to China as his parents renounced his Chinese nationality during his childhood.
​​​
That's worse. In any case I would think that's the kid's decision whether to renounce or not.
In HK, don't have to renounce, just need to declare nationality change in order to lose your Chinese one http://www.immd.gov.hk/eng/services/...tionality.html
Old Jul 26, 2017, 10:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

One page, simpler than all new card application
Because the Immigration Department will pull your ROP record.

In HK, don't have to renounce, just need to declare nationality change in order to lose your Chinese one http://www.immd.gov.hk/eng/services/...tionality.html
Immigration Department does not really care. Including BN(O), at least half of HKSAR residents have at least more than 1 nationality.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 2:56 am

Immigration Department does not really care. Including BN(O), at least half of HKSAR residents have at least more than 1 nationality.
(I may be wrong on this but) I don't think BNOs, or even British Citizens by virtue of the British Nationality Selection Scheme http://www.immd.gov.hk/eng/faq/faqnationality.html#q1 are considered Chinese nationals with foreign nationality who are eligible to declare a change of nationality.

Last edited by percysmith; Jul 27, 2017 at 3:02 am

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.