Search

Flight preferences LAX to HKG

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2015, 9:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA, UA, DL, NSA, CIA, MIB
Flight preferences LAX to HKG

The plan is: LAX to HKG late Oct 2016.

The question is: Anyone have any flight preferences?

I see that Cathay Pacific (Oct 2015) has 3 flights departing LAX to HKG

9:40AM - 3:25PM
or
1:00PM - 6:55PM
or
11:55PM - 5:45AM

Is it easier to arrive at 6am or 3:30pm or 7pm? I mean which would be easier on the body and mental state

On the return Catha Pacific (Nov 2015) has 3 flights as well to LAX

10:15AM - 6:40AM
or
1:05PM - 9:40AM
or
12:15AM - 8:50PM

Same question....which is easier to return on?
Old Aug 18, 2015, 10:57 am

It all depends on you -- your reaction to jet lag and your schedule in HK and LA -- but myself I'd go for the evening arrivals on both flights since they give you a certain opportunity for sleep, though with a lot of stress there on "opportunity." Sometimes hard to get the chance to doze off right away if you arrive in broad daylight.
Old Aug 18, 2015, 1:49 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Bonvoy LTE
For arrival in HKG:

I prefer the 7pm arrival in Hong Kong. It'll be a little late by the time you leave the airport and get to your hotel, but you can then grab a quick bite and attempt to go to sleep at a normal HK time.

For arrival in LAX:

I myself would prefer the 8:50pm arrival - gives you more than a full day on your last day in HK, sleep a bit on the plane, get home, and then it's a normal bedtime.
Old Aug 18, 2015, 9:11 pm

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
I agree with the evening arrival in HKG. Land at 7, in your hotel by 9. A full night's sleep and you'll be ready to go the next day.

On the return I prefer the early afternoon flight but that's because I'm generally connecting in LAX and need to arrive early enough to continue eastwards.
Old Aug 18, 2015, 11:14 pm

I've taken flights to HKG at all different hours, and they all have pros and cons. I'll just comment below on what works for me, but ultimately everyone's different in terms of what works for them. I typically don't have much problem adjusting to time changes.

For outbound, I like the 11:55PM - 5:45AM flight for the fact that you get to put in a full day of work and then sleep on the airplane, so you're not really wasting time. With decent sleep on the plane, I'm personally able to take advantage of a full day ahead of me after an early arrival in HKG. I typically stay at places like Intercon, Shangrila and Conrad but, unless it's a busy season, they're usually able to accommodate me with a super-early check-in. 9:40AM - 3:25PM outbound is also nice... you get in early enough to enjoy the view from Airport Express and check in 5-6pm which is perfect timing for dinner. 1:00PM - 6:55PM is the one that doesn't have as much going for it as the other two. You're unlikely to be able to put in any work before that 1pm flight, and then you're arriving a bit later than I personally would like.

On the return, I wish you had a departure option that's down the middle between your 1.05pm and 12.15am. But I'd probably take 1:05PM - 9:40AM over the others. At least that one will let you enjoy your last morning in HKG. If you're not working in LA the next day, then 12:15AM - 8:50PM might be the best since you could turn your last HKG day into a full day and also be more likely to catch some z's on the plane.
Old Aug 19, 2015, 8:08 am

Originally Posted by evergrn
I've taken flights to HKG at all different hours, and they all have pros and cons. I'll just comment below on what works for me, but ultimately everyone's different in terms of what works for them. I typically don't have much problem adjusting to time changes.
I fly to HK several times a year, but on JFK/HK route. I do agree with Evergrn, my personal preference is for the night flight and good night's sleep in biz class and sleeper seats.

But there is no right flight, everyone is different.
Old Aug 19, 2015, 9:59 am
Original Poster

These are terrific! Thanks ya'll for helping me out! It's never easy to flip that switch on the body clock for me so I'm trying to figure out which to do. I'm armed with a little more information now! Next will be trying to get the award seats we want in Biz! I'm going to keep MS'ing full force too so maybe we can swing a First Class on part or both legs!
Old Aug 19, 2015, 10:14 am
Suspended

Programs: None any more
If you end up in First I would say definitely pick the flights that arrive in the evening, then stay awake on the plane enjoying the Krug, food, entertainment etc. If this is for leisure then what's the point of paying for First and then sleeping through it? Arrive in the evening ready to crash. Wake up the next morning on local time ready to go.
Old Aug 19, 2015, 1:41 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by christep
If you end up in First I would say definitely pick the flights that arrive in the evening, then stay awake on the plane enjoying the Krug, food, entertainment etc. If this is for leisure then what's the point of paying for First and then sleeping through it? Arrive in the evening ready to crash. Wake up the next morning on local time ready to go.
Good point!
Old Aug 19, 2015, 2:10 pm

Originally Posted by cajunguy
Good point!
According to the Mrs. (who uses my miles to fly F), there's a fancy sit-down restaurant in the HK Airport lounge (not sure which one, I've never flown F) which also includes complimentary massage, etc. etc. IF you do go F, enjoy!

Old Aug 19, 2015, 5:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Personally I like either the 0940 or 1pm flights from LAX. The 0940 you can get up early - doesn't matter if you're tired because you can snooze for a few hours during the flight. You then arrive in HKG at 330pm, get to your hotel by about 430 (or earlier), unpack and can then head out for an early dinner and get a good night's sleep.

Same for the 1pm but it kinda curtails your evening in Hong Kong unless you want a really later one (but allows you to get some extra sleep on the morning of departure).

As for 'enjoying' the flight - it's a long flight. Getting a few hours sleep is a good way to pass some time. There's only so much movie watching and so much food/drink you can consume.

Arriving HKG very early in the morning - unless you have booked the hotel from the night before - or know they will allow ultra early check-in - there's not much point being in Hong Kong so early (unless for work).

Hong Kong doesn't really 'open' until 10am.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.