Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Hong Kong and Macau
Reload this Page >

Where to go for good dim sum and a good view of the harbour?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Where to go for good dim sum and a good view of the harbour?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2015, 12:19 am

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
Originally Posted by agp423
I wouldn't be surprised, at least for the restaurants that are not super expensive. But there are still plenty of hidden local tea houses for authentic food.
Any examples of these tea houses?
Old Aug 18, 2015, 3:59 pm
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, *A Silver
No idea what it was called or where it was (I think it was in SSP). No one there spoke Mandarin or English (the two things I speak). I went with a HK friend, who, having lived in HK all her life still had to search hard for that place. I will ask her and report back.
Old Aug 18, 2015, 5:55 pm
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, *A Silver
Here it is!

http://www.openrice.com/zh/hongkong/...%E5%BA%97/9994
Old Aug 18, 2015, 6:07 pm

"Served by the same dim sum factory in SZ."

Perhaps that's a modern version of the old rumour that most dimsum came from unregulated factories in the now long-gone Kowloon Walled City.
Old Aug 18, 2015, 6:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by 889
"Served by the same dim sum factory in SZ."

Perhaps that's a modern version of the old rumour that most dimsum came from unregulated factories in the now long-gone Kowloon Walled City.
Maxim group's dim sum and food prep factory in SZ in not a rumour.
Old Aug 19, 2015, 11:55 pm

Originally Posted by tentseller
Maxim group's dim sum and food prep factory in SZ in not a rumour.
Still think House of Jasmine's dim sum is superior to the highly-regarded places we frequent in Vancouver (eg, Sun Sui Wah, Fisherman's Terrace).
Old Aug 20, 2015, 1:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
I don't think anyone has said the dim sum from Shenzhen is inferior in taste to those made in HK.
Old Aug 20, 2015, 7:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Maxim's group is a large trusted brand with QC standards that is even higher than many intl chains. SZ factory is for economy of scale as well as differential in the cost of facilities and operations.
Old Aug 20, 2015, 12:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
The Ritz-Carlton at the top of the ICC building has an incredible Western/dim sum breakfast/brunch buffet. The harbour views are outstanding. Alas, the air was pretty hazy when I was there.

It's a short walk through a mall from the Kowloon station. I highly recommend.
Old Aug 20, 2015, 6:56 pm

Programs: VA Velocity, SQ KrisFlyer
If you are looking for a more local option which will be much cheaper, I would recommend Ho Choi Seafood Restaurant at the Empire Centre, TST East.
They offer dim sums at a pretty good price, especially on weekends and you will still able to enjoy the view of the Harbour.
Old Oct 24, 2015, 2:51 pm

More interested in a good dim sum, rather than view. What do locals think about Lin Hueng tea house? I read reviews that it may be difficult if you don't speak Cantonese.

Found this list. What do you think about its choices.
http://www.ladyironchef.com/2015/02/...m-restaurants/

Last edited by headinclouds; Oct 24, 2015 at 2:57 pm Reason: add link
Old Oct 24, 2015, 6:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by headinclouds
More interested in a good dim sum, rather than view. What do locals think about Lin Hueng tea house? I read reviews that it may be difficult if you don't speak Cantonese.

Found this list. What do you think about its choices.
http://www.ladyironchef.com/2015/02/...m-restaurants/
They are good but what sets it apart is that they are considered the guardian of the traditional dim sum enviorment and ambiance, including the language used.

Walking into Lin Heueng is like walking back into my chhildhood with the exception of tossing steamers out the window!
Old Oct 26, 2015, 12:13 am

I'll post an add-on question since Lin Heung is mentioned.

Can anyone recommend a decent dim sum place (good food, decent ambiance/service) that's open early (like 8-9am) and <20min from Mongkok? Or is there no such place?

I'm not a fan of Luk Yu Teahouse, and I suspect Lin Heung is totally not our type of place. Would Maxim's in Sha Tin be about the best we can do at that hour, or is there a better option? If within walking distance from Langham Place, even better.
Old Oct 26, 2015, 2:36 am

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by evergrn
I'll post an add-on question since Lin Heung is mentioned.

Can anyone recommend a decent dim sum place (good food, decent ambiance/service) that's open early (like 8-9am) and <20min from Mongkok? Or is there no such place?

I'm not a fan of Luk Yu Teahouse, and I suspect Lin Heung is totally not our type of place. Would Maxim's in Sha Tin be about the best we can do at that hour, or is there a better option? If within walking distance from Langham Place, even better.
I stay at Langham place every month ( I love Mong Kok and access to train and can't stand staying in TST any more) - but I have yet to find a decent dim sum place open around there at any hour - if you find one please let me know! Mostly my friends take me to places I couldn't ever find again anyways...
Old Oct 26, 2015, 3:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
Just go to Jasmine Garden at Langham Place. Slightly upscale brand of Maxim's group. Opens at 8a.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.