Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Hong Kong and Macau
Reload this Page >

Crossing border Macau into mainland China

Old Jul 26, 2015, 10:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Flying Blue (KLM) Platinum, Oneworld (BA) Sapphire, *A (Aegean) Gold, IHG Spire RA,

Hi, can anyone advise the easiest way to do this? i mean
- fastest , what time of day?
- which crossing? walk? ferry?

from Macau to China. no need to go back. Arriving probably from Da Nang on Air Macau, 1 night sleep and next day off to China.

Chris
Old Jul 26, 2015, 1:27 pm

There's a public bus direct from the airport to the border at Portas do Cerco; or you could take a taxi, which would be more expensive but a bit more convenient.

I have crossed that border a number of times at different times of day and have always found it very busy.

Even if you want to spend some time seeing Macau, note that hotels are far cheaper in Zhuhai than Macau.
Old Jul 26, 2015, 9:59 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Chris you do need visa for China even if you're exempt for Macau.
Old Jul 26, 2015, 10:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The border crossing at Hengqin never has had a wait for me whilst the Gongbei crossing is sometimes more than an hour wait. Gongbei is more convenient to downtown Zhuhai and the train station but the taxis at Hengqin are plentiful and if you're staying on Cotai in Macau, it's much more convenient from Macau.
Old Jul 27, 2015, 4:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Flying Blue (KLM) Platinum, Oneworld (BA) Sapphire, *A (Aegean) Gold, IHG Spire RA,
I'm arriving at 00:30 at MFM. I take a hotel nearby (Cotai) and next day need to go to China.

I think Hengqin will do. No need for busses, taxi is OK they are cheap. i not need to see Macau i have been there. it was just the cheapest way to get back to china.
(we will fly china - da nang - china, but the last leg of the flight MFM china i will skip - goes to wrong airport far away and i just need to be across the border).

percysmith: yes i know VISA. will have double or Multi so no problem on that. I hope finally to get a Multi as i have now already 5 of those visa in my not even 2 year old passport filling it up to quick.
Old Jul 27, 2015, 9:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
I have no experience with the Hengqin crossing, but you should really consider the transportation option after you cross back to China, as compared to Gongbei. Also, all major Cotai hotels have frequent shuttle to Gongbei; Hengqin will be less frequent (though I guess you'll probably take a taxi).
Old Jul 28, 2015, 4:21 am
Original Poster

I want to visit Kaiping (it's a UNESCO site with castle shaped houses and so) that's about 100KM to the west of zhongshan. Either will just visit it on a day trip from Zhongshan or go there and stay overnight. From there i need to get my way to Xiamen (i have a week for that) and visit places on the way. Not yet made my itinerary.
Old Jul 28, 2015, 6:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
So, how are you planning to get to Kaiping from Zhuhai? If you're going by coach, I'd say your only reasonable choice is from Gongbei.

Last edited by rkkwan; Jul 28, 2015 at 6:30 am
Old Jul 28, 2015, 7:05 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rkkwan
So, how are you planning to get to Kaiping from Zhuhai? If you're going by coach, I'd say your only reasonable choice is from Gongbei.
I think a private driver.....
Old Jul 29, 2015, 9:22 pm

Reiterating what others have mentioned about the Cotai/Hengqin border crossing. This border is cumbersome as you need to get processed on the Macau side and then take transportation across a bridge to be processed again on the China side. There is a shuttle bus but its frequency is not ideal. Once you get to the Hengqin side you will be able to find taxis with little difficulty.

However, would highly recommend you cross at Gongbei on the Macau peninsula side. Just take a free shuttle from any of the hotels on Cotai. These days the lines at immigration are not too bad (a function of the gaming industry's downturn and resulting fewer visitors). Just try to cross before 6pm as the flow of people from Macau to China is busiest in the evening.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.