Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Hong Kong and Macau
Reload this Page >

What to do in Hong Kong during the rain?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2015, 3:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM

I'm in Hong Kong for the next couple days. What are things to do in Hong Kong? Would the peak be viable? The cheung chau bun festival is this weekend too, is that possible to do in the rain?
Old May 23, 2015, 6:06 am

This is a problem, isn't it.

I wouldn't head up to the Peak during the day; you won't see much with the clouds and fog. But if the cloud cover lifts just a bit in the evening, then with the lights below the Peak is still much worth a visit then. But bring an umbrella.

There are the obvious indoor places: malls are everywhere. The HK Museum of Art right on the TST waterfront makes a good rainy refuge. As of course would very long and pleasant meals.

Consider too a ferry trip to one of the Outlying Islands. It may be too rainy to walk around and you'll have to head right back, but the trip through the harbour is always great no matter the weather. I'd skip the Bun Festival myself, but I don't particularly like rain, or bun festivals.

Check the HK Observatory website for the current conditions, and understand the warning signals.
Old May 23, 2015, 6:53 am
Suspended

Programs: None any more
Several of the museums are worth a visit if you're into that sort of thing.

http://www.lcsd.gov.hk/en/cs_mus_lcsd.php

Otherwise, bars and restaurants are generally much cheaper at lunchtime, so go for long leisurely alcoholic (if that's your thing) lunches.
Old May 23, 2015, 11:37 pm

Programs: Marco Polo
If it's raining do still visit the peak however do it at night. The lights coupled with the rain looks beautiful IMO as long as your ok with getting wet. During the day the cloud cover / fog makes it pointless. Try exploring some buildings and malls. You can go up the Bank Of China tower which is pretty neat as well as a few other notable buildings in HK. If your into meeting new people or watching sports then head to Soho and visit the pubs.
Old May 24, 2015, 3:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
I think the rain is very regional and it comes in intervals. I came back from HK less than a week ago (I took the kids there for a week), and when it was raining, we had to hide somewhere. It took like 1 hour or something then it was dry and even sunny (people were commenting on my little girl's sun tan).

My advice is to get closer to where you want to go - e.g. if you want to see the peak, head to admiralty, then check the weather when you are there, if it looks good, continue up to the peak. If not, stay at the surrounding area a bit, wait until the rain is over, then head to the peak.

It doesn't get really dark in HK until something like 7:30pm, so you'll have enough times/attempts to try.

If the weather is too bad, you can go to the lobby cafe at Intercontinental HK, where you can buy a drink and enjoy the view. I always find the view from Kowloon to HK nicer than vice versa.
Old May 24, 2015, 6:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Originally Posted by KrazyTrain18
You can go up the Bank Of China tower
Really? I remember going up there in 1991, but I would be very surprised if this was still possible.
Old May 24, 2015, 7:24 pm

Programs: Marco Polo
Originally Posted by Pickles
Really? I remember going up there in 1991, but I would be very surprised if this was still possible.
Yes it's still possible, I went up again in March.
Old May 24, 2015, 9:17 pm

The sky lobby is still open, but best is to try this on a weekday when the offices and elevators are open.
Old May 25, 2015, 6:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Originally Posted by hkskyline
The sky lobby is still open, but best is to try this on a weekday when the offices and elevators are open.
Interesting, good to know. I figured it'd be like every other skyscraper in Hong Kong these days, with access cards and visitor's passes.
Old May 25, 2015, 1:55 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, MileagePlus, Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by KrazyTrain18
Yes it's still possible, I went up again in March.
Cool, how is the view from the sky lobby? The reason I ask is because I went up the JP Morgan Chase Tower in Houston a few months back and while the view was impressive, it was really only to one side, not quite a 180 degree view (although for the price it was awesome )
Old May 27, 2015, 12:40 am

Originally Posted by heraclitus
Cool, how is the view from the sky lobby? The reason I ask is because I went up the JP Morgan Chase Tower in Houston a few months back and while the view was impressive, it was really only to one side, not quite a 180 degree view (although for the price it was awesome )
I think you will enjoy the view from Central Plaza better. The transfer floor is on 46F and provides 360 views.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.