Wiki Posts
Search

Long Transit In Hong Kong

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2015, 6:59 pm
Original Poster

Long Transit In Hong Kong

Hi everyone,

I have tried looking for this information in the thread using the search command, but can't seem to find the right answer.

I am staring at potentially a >8 hour transit in Hong Kong Airport and I am thinking of jumping into the city via the express train for a quick visit. Given that, I was wondering what I should do with my luggage. Am I able to leave it with the baggage handlers i.e. check in at Tokyo and only collect it in Melbourne? Or will I have to physically have to pick up the bags, store them short term and check them back in?

Thanks,
Jason
Old May 15, 2015, 10:31 pm

depends
if your on a single ticket they should be checking the bag straight thru to your destination (provided the airlines involved have interlining agreements) or if you have separate tickets or no interline agreement then you will have to pick up your bags in HKG. There is baggage storage in Terminal 2 which charges US $1.55 per hour or US $18 per 24 hours per piece.
Old May 16, 2015, 9:07 am

Programs: BA Gold, JGC Sapphire, OZ Diamond, AF Silver, CX GR, Marriott Lifetime SL
As said by moyeung it heavily depends on the airline you flew with. However, if you are heading to town already, there are couple of scenarios

1. If you are traveling on same airline or it's on the internline list, then you should able to check though it from Tokyo to Melbourne
2. If they are not interlined, you can head to the transit desk of the HKG-MEL leg and ask them to re-tag your baggage with your baggage stub
3. If all fails, if you fly CX, drag the baggage back to departure level and they accept baggage drop all day. If flying QF or other airline, travel on airport express to Kowloon / Hong Kong by using same day return ticket. There are counter for QF and almost all other airline opens all day that takes your baggage.
Old May 19, 2015, 9:09 pm
Original Poster

Thank you so much for the reply guys, much appreciated. I'll be flying either CX or JL, connecting with CX, so it looks like the bags will be sent directly through to Melbourne.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.